Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radon mitigation system

I recently installed a new sump pump in my basement and also a radon
mitigation system. The radon pipe that vents thru the basement wall to
the outside is about 6 or 7 feet away from the sump pump. The sump pump
is sealed. The radon fan is outside. The exterior radon pipe is not
capped.

It\'s been raining pretty heavily. I hear gurgling sounds in the radon
pipe. The meter on the radon pipe appears the same as always.

I noticed the concrete floor is a little wet around the sump pump. Is the
sump pump not working as it should, causing the radon system to be sucking
water instead of radon gas?

I hate to get caught between the sump pump company and the radon company
as to whose \"owns\" the problem - if it is a problem?

thanks diadkinson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 5:07*pm, (diadkinson)
wrote:
I recently installed a new sump pump in my basement and also a radon
mitigation system. *The radon pipe that vents thru the basement wall to
the outside is about 6 or 7 feet away from the sump pump. *The sump pump
is sealed. *The radon fan is outside. *The exterior radon pipe is not
capped.

It\'s been raining pretty heavily. * I hear gurgling sounds in the radon
pipe. The meter on the radon pipe appears the same as always.

I noticed the concrete floor is a little wet around the sump pump. *Is the
sump pump not working as it should, causing the radon system to be sucking
water instead of radon gas?

I hate to get caught between the sump pump company and the radon company
as to whose \"owns\" the problem - if it is a problem?

thanks diadkinson

Switch the fan off and see if the noise stops. If it does then the
problem is water got in there. Either it sucks it up from the inside
or rain has got in. I would have thought that the pipework would be
laid to falls so that water can drain away. I would also have thought
there would be some sort of wind/weathershield on the pipe outlet if
it was exposed to the weather/prevailing winds and also to keep vermin/
birds etc out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 1:09*pm, harry wrote:
On Feb 28, 5:07*pm, (diadkinson)
wrote:

[...]

birds etc out.- Hide quoted text -

Actually a cap on top of the radon pipe will encourage problems.
Birds & insects won't nest in the pipe if it is exposed just like they
won't nest in a sewer vent pipe with no cap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 12:09*pm, harry wrote:
On Feb 28, 5:07*pm, (diadkinson)
wrote:

[...]

There should be either some sort of rain cap, or a tiny pinhole where
the pipe goes from vertical to horizontal to drain any rain that does
get into the vertical pipe. I can't believe the fan is strong enough
to raise water from the basement sump up to the level of the fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2011 1:14 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 28, 12:09 pm, wrote:
On Feb 28, 5:07 pm, (diadkinson)
wrote:

[...]

House I rented years ago had a drier in the basement vented at ground
level. Rabbit crawled in and died but we did not know this is what
stopped the drier from working and by the time the repairman came drier
was full of maggots. He cleaned it out but odor would not leave. We
were moving in a few weeks so I don't know what owner did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 28, 11:07*am, (diadkinson)
wrote:
I recently installed a new sump pump in my basement and also a radon
mitigation system. *The radon pipe that vents thru the basement wall to
the outside is about 6 or 7 feet away from the sump pump. *The sump pump
is sealed. *The radon fan is outside. *The exterior radon pipe is not
capped.

It\'s been raining pretty heavily. * I hear gurgling sounds in the radon
pipe. The meter on the radon pipe appears the same as always.

I noticed the concrete floor is a little wet around the sump pump. *Is the
sump pump not working as it should, causing the radon system to be sucking
water instead of radon gas?

I hate to get caught between the sump pump company and the radon company
as to whose \"owns\" the problem - if it is a problem?

thanks diadkinson

I would start by calling the radon guy to ask about the gurgling. Are
the two systems connected, or just adjacent? It's pretty normal to
connect the radon pipe to the drain tile, but do you have drain tile
or just a sump pit? Is the sump pump working ok? When you say
sealed, you should normally to remove the lid fairly easily or at
least remove the bung where the power cable enters, so allow you to
see what's going on in there. Whenever I've had one installed I've
tested it myself by pouring water into the pit to make sure the pump
does its job. Maybe this would give you some insight into the damp
patches.

You don't tend to see caps over the radon outlet. I thought this was
odd at first, but when I felt the force of the air blasting out the
top of the pipe I realized that no rain water was going to get in
there (nor for that matter any kind of creature)
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...em-623574-.htm
diadkinson wrote:

diadkinson wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. I have both companies coming out to see what
needs to be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello! I am having a similar problem, diadkinson. What was your solution? What ended up happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sara
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello! I am having a similar problem, diadkinson. What was your solution?
What ended up happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sara

Well,what problem ???

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2014 1:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/14/2014 7:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You just replied to a thread that started Feb 2011,
and ended March 1, 2011.

Who knows, diadkinson might still be around.

Sorry, but no. Diadkinson was diagnosed with radiation poison and is
now captive, powering a nuclear generation plant in Africa. He has a
half life of 25 more years.

I heard from my cousin Mavis, who heard it at the
hair dresser, who heard it from her son who works
for the CIA that Diadkinson was captured by the
Iranians, who have been centrifuging him to make
weapons grade Diadkinson.

They plan to drop him over the Jewish section of
Jerusalem, and start the next world war.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Radon mitigation follow-up Jack Home Repair 0 October 1st 09 07:46 PM
Radon mitigation Jack Home Repair 15 October 1st 09 03:11 AM
Radon Mitigation System - Fan in Basement? [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 2nd 06 10:18 PM
Radon mitigation 46erjoe Home Repair 7 January 27th 06 06:42 PM
Air exhanger vs radon mitigation jack Home Repair 1 October 24th 04 09:12 PM