Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Can I open sump pump with sealed radon mitigation system?

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 8:14:10 PM UTC-4, OldManJ wrote:
I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was
concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just
plugged in the pump and it worked. However since its sealed shut for the
radon mitigation system, I didn't know if it was possible to remove the lid to
test the arm that goes up and down to tell it to run. I checked this morning
after the rain and there was some water on top sump pump lid. Is it there a
procedure to remove the lid and break the seal of the radon mitigation system
or should I just hire a plumber?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...m-1141951-.htm

Are you talking about a seal that's there to physically keep radon
gas from escaping, eg silicone or similar? Or a seal that's intended
to keep someone like you out? Neither would present a challenge for
me. You just need a sealing material to keep the radon gas from
getting by. Whatever is there, if it's rubber or similar intended
to be re-used you're fine. If it looks like it needs to be replaced,
replace it or if there is silicone around a pipe coming out, you can
reseal with that again.