Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weight cap. of 3/4 inch plywood

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...d-1141573-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/18/2017 6:44 PM, Terrance D McCarty wrote:
I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50
gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's withÂ* 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight?
(Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

It is really about balance. one 2 x 4 can take the weight but you want
to distribute it evenly.
https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch...7.1/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 8:21:48 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/18/2017 6:44 PM, Terrance D McCarty wrote:
I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50
gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's withÂ* 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight?
(Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

It is really about balance. one 2 x 4 can take the weight but you want
to distribute it evenly.
https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch...7.1/index.html

Agree

What he's described is way more than min to support it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:44:02 GMT, Terrance D McCarty
m wrote:

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You must be over thinking this project. Is the ground surface not good
enough to hold a barrel of water?

What kind of barrel are you supporting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You must be over thinking this project. Is the ground surface not good
enough to hold a barrel of water?
What kind of barrel are you supporting?

Maybe under-thinking it ?
I'm thinking that the base - under the support - is more critical.
Rain barrels will over-flow big time - during the heavy downpours.
... make sure the ground beneath the barrel is stable ! then -
a big sidewalk paver - with a couple concrete blocks on top -
will cost almost nothing in dollars or time - and provide a nice
raised surface - get your rain barrel up high enough to get a pail
under the drain tap.
... and a bonus - no rotting wood to attract bugs !
or fall apart in a few years.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You must be over thinking this project. Is the ground surface not good
enough to hold a barrel of water?

What kind of barrel are you supporting?

He may be thinking that the barrel up off the ground will gravity feed
for irrigation, hand watering, eliminating a pump.
I have this with my 150 gal aerator tank. It will flow enough water to
fill a toilet tank with the power off but you are not taking a shower.
I went with 4 concrete posts (6" pvc full of concrete) and PT 2x6
stringers and decking. I think plywood will just de laminate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-4, Terrance D McCarty wrote:
I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You need to use the Sagulator.

It will calculate the sag of more species of wood than I knew existed based on
total load, load distribution, support method and a few more factors.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/20/2017 7:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-4, Terrance D McCarty wrote:
I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You need to use the Sagulator.

It will calculate the sag of more species of wood than I knew existed based on
total load, load distribution, support method and a few more factors.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

It crossed my mind too but I don't see anything sagging. The barrel is
self supporting around the circumference and the supports will be
directly below it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 11:00:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but where's the fun in *not* using the Sagulator? ;-)