Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default Weight of 29 inch picture tube?

I am in the UK. I was looking for useful spare parts inside a broken 29
inch Panasonic TV (model TX29-AD1) and I had removed all the electronics
boards and the two speakers.

I then picked up what was left of the TV: the tube and plastic outer
casing.

Phew! It weighted a hell of a lot!

Does anyone know APPROXIMATELY what an actual 29 inch CRT picture tube
weighs?

In my case it was the old-style screen ratio and ISTR the picture tube
had a Philips sticker on it.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Alberto" wrote in message
I am in the UK. I was looking for useful spare parts inside a broken 29
inch Panasonic TV (model TX29-AD1) and I had removed all the electronics
boards and the two speakers.

I then picked up what was left of the TV: the tube and plastic outer
casing.

Phew! It weighted a hell of a lot!

Does anyone know APPROXIMATELY what an actual 29 inch CRT picture tube
weighs?

In my case it was the old-style screen ratio and ISTR the picture tube
had a Philips sticker on it.

It depends on the EHT voltage used. If this was for a relatively modern
set,using '100Hz' scanning, then the EHT will be higher, and the glass
used in the front has to have better radiation protection. For this the
figure given by another poster, of about '100lbs', is probably a little
high, but not that far off (typically the whole set, will be about 90lbs,
and the tube about 3/4 of this, so perhaps 65lbs). 50Hz sets, are usually
a fraction lighter, but probably still over 50lbs for the tube. Tubes
supporting really high frequency operation (CRT's, rather than TV's), will
push higher (for example, a 24" Hitachi monitor, tops 100lbs, and the tube
is heavier than the 29" examples mentioned...

Best Wishes