Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Weight cap. of 3/4 inch plywood

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You must be over thinking this project. Is the ground surface not good
enough to hold a barrel of water?
What kind of barrel are you supporting?

Maybe under-thinking it ?
I'm thinking that the base - under the support - is more critical.
Rain barrels will over-flow big time - during the heavy downpours.
... make sure the ground beneath the barrel is stable ! then -
a big sidewalk paver - with a couple concrete blocks on top -
will cost almost nothing in dollars or time - and provide a nice
raised surface - get your rain barrel up high enough to get a pail
under the drain tap.
... and a bonus - no rotting wood to attract bugs !
or fall apart in a few years.
John T.