Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weight cap. of 3/4 inch plywood

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 12:24:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 22:44:02 GMT, Terrance D McCarty
om wrote:

I am building a stand for one of my rain barrels, (full capacity 50 gallons,
or ~ 420 lbs).
I am using 3/4 inch plywood, and plan on supporting it every 60 degrees of
circumference with 2 x 4's with 2 or 4 in the middle of the circle.
Think this will hold 420 lbs.of water, plus 25 lbs of barrel weight? (Total=
~455 lbs)
Thank you.

You must be over thinking this project. Is the ground surface not good
enough to hold a barrel of water?

What kind of barrel are you supporting?

He may be thinking that the barrel up off the ground will gravity feed
for irrigation, hand watering, eliminating a pump.
I have this with my 150 gal aerator tank. It will flow enough water to
fill a toilet tank with the power off but you are not taking a shower.
I went with 4 concrete posts (6" pvc full of concrete) and PT 2x6
stringers and decking. I think plywood will just de laminate.