Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Poor Richard's Almanac

Think I mentioned here that early this year that a tree fell on my
neighbor Richard's house and wife in the yard. She could not work for a
couple of months and has rods in both legs. They had to fight with the
insurance company about cost of a new roof and guttering but found good
source for both repairs.

Now his well has gone dry and they are drilling a new one right now.
Digger told me it could be $5 to 8 thousand. I've been feeding them
water with a hose between the houses for the last 3 days. I told him I
am glad to help them but don't like even thinking about my well. Digger
says aquifer is not like a pond but like a bunch of veins or streams of
water.

Thought this might be of interest to group as my own well water seems to
have improved in last couple of years with less sediment. Mine tastes
fine but a few neighbors don't like theirs and get bottled water.

Poor Richard is also suffering leaks in his PEX piping. Not the pipe
itself but the crimped joints. Plumber told me repairing a leak nearly
20 years ago that my copper pipes would not last with well water. I
still have the pipes and have not had a leak since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Now his well has gone dry and they are drilling a new one right now.
Digger told me it could be $5 to 8 thousand.

Local municipality ran water down my street. I called to see how much to hook up.

$8500 tap fee + $2000 to tunnel under road + $2500 to run from curb to house. Obviously I decided to keep my well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Thought this might be of interest to group as my own well water seems to
have improved in last couple of years with less sediment. Mine tastes
fine but a few neighbors don't like theirs and get bottled water.

Sediment is usually handled with a filter. Sometimes two, one for the
rocks and the next for the fine stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 1:00 PM, Lago Húmedo wrote:
On 8/4/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Now his well has gone dry and they are drilling a new one right now.
Digger told me it could be $5 to 8 thousand.

Local municipality ran water down my street. I called to see how much
to hook up.

$8500 tap fee + $2000 to tunnel under road + $2500 to run from curb to
house. Obviously I decided to keep my well.

You're fortunate. Some towns require you to hook up when they run water
or sewer. Its all about money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 12:40:57 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Poor Richard is also suffering leaks in his PEX piping. Not the pipe
itself but the crimped joints.

Las Vegas had claims on PEX fixtures some many years ago. The fittings
were made in Canada, a problem caused by to much Zinc in making the
fittings. They corroded and leaked, damage to the homes.

The crimp can hold but the pipes leaked at fittings.

Mine are 20 years old and have not leaked. Less fittings mean fewer
chances of a serious leak. Manifolds.... home runs to each fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:44:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You're fortunate. Some towns require you to hook up when they run water
or sewer. Its all about money.

The city ****ed off my Grandfather to the highest level of ****ivity.

City ran the line for sewer.. Mandating he connect his mandated indoor
toilet. Outhouse was a new violation. My Grandfather told them -- I
built it, so now make me connect it :-) It was eventually.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 3:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/4/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Thought this might be of interest to group as my own well water seems
to have improved in last couple of years with less sediment. Mine
tastes fine but a few neighbors don't like theirs and get bottled water.

Sediment is usually handled with a filter. Sometimes two, one for the
rocks and the next for the fine stuff.

I have a sediment filter. Usually lasts 6 months. Plumber tested water
and tried to convince me to exchange calcium but it was only slightly
high and I did not do it. Richard has one from previous owner but when
he bought the house code required salt flush go to a separate drain
field as too much salt can be bad for the septic.

Richard came over a few minutes ago and said water restored with new
well. They had shocked it with chlorine as they normally do when work
is done on it so he will be coming over a couple of days to get drinking
water for his dogs. He said he is preparing for the shock of the bill
next week. New well is not far from old but sunk nearly twice as far,
200 ft. with recovery rate of 7 gal/min. Old had fallen off to a
trickle. Hope it does not happen to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2017 3:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/4/2017 1:00 PM, Lago Húmedo wrote:
On 8/4/2017 12:40 PM, Frank wrote:
Now his well has gone dry and they are drilling a new one right now.
Digger told me it could be $5 to 8 thousand.

Local municipality ran water down my street. I called to see how much to hook up.

$8500 tap fee + $2000 to tunnel under road + $2500 to run from curb to house. Obviously I decided to keep my well.

You're fortunate. Some towns require you to hook up when they run water or sewer. Its all about money.

Yah, sewer was mandatory hookup but the $7000 fee was payable at 2% interest over 10 years.

Water hookup was optional but hookup was $13,000 cash now.

My Dick Smells Like Parmesan Cheese due to poor hygiene, Richard Anderson, DVM. [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 17th 06 05:19 PM
OT - Richard Pryor - RIP Lee Gordon Woodworking 20 December 12th 05 08:10 AM
Richard Raffan's DVD Jeff Woodturning 1 August 5th 05 05:42 PM
Richard A. Buege, [email protected] Metalworking 0 March 27th 05 02:59 PM
And the wiiner is Richard Gillespie Steve Knight Woodworking 3 February 10th 05 03:32 AM