Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A real, serious plumbing problem! advice -- legal.

Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

Was this something never installed? Not connected to the sewer pipe?
Could it have fallen off at some point and the water made a sinkhole?

Sounds like a potential major problem to fix. Is there any opening from
the wall to the drain? If not you may have to cut the slab. When I
remodeled the bathrooms, i made a larger shower on the first floor that
is on a slab. That meant the drain had to move to the side 8" to
accommodate the shower that was 16" wider. It meant cutting the slab
wide enough to access the pipe. In your case, you may have to remove
the tub to so so.

This may be the time to do any upgrades to the bathroom. If you have to
fix this, why not just spend another $15,000 to do it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/17 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

With a fairly big home equity loan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

I'd start with a camera inspection and see what's what and where issues
exist, then see if it's possible to bust out slab to fix in those areas. How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built? I'd avoid
"tunneling" under, as its been my experience it's unlikely to get all soil
compacted back in. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:50:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yes, no. maybe. I don't know. Two owners never messed with the tub.
Eleven years and it is hard to figure why the problems was never
noticed.

Sounds like a potential major problem to fix. Is there any opening from
the wall to the drain? If not you may have to cut the slab. When I
remodeled the bathrooms, i made a larger shower on the first floor that
is on a slab. That meant the drain had to move to the side 8" to
accommodate the shower that was 16" wider. It meant cutting the slab
wide enough to access the pipe. In your case, you may have to remove
the tub to so so.

Two choices. Demo the bath room or go in from behind a closet (my
choice) if it works, would be easy. The closet may not align up for
repair. Out comes my tape measure.

This may be the time to do any upgrades to the bathroom. If you have to
fix this, why not just spend another $15,000 to do it right.

Walk in tub would be my choice :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:15:24 -0500, "ChairMan" no
wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

Home owner insurance is sending an adjuster, The plumber is expected
back with a camera -- I'll see what comes about.

I do have a closet wall to check behind the tub drain pipe. Much
cheaper if we get access behind the tub drain and see or room to work.

My community has 400 homes. My guess is other were cheated by a
plumber. Damn Mesians.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 3:27 PM, Oren wrote:

This may be the time to do any upgrades to the bathroom. If you have to
fix this, why not just spend another $15,000 to do it right.

Walk in tub would be my choice :-)

Do you take baths? We don't so I took the tub out and upper level has a
luxurious 60" shower. Lower level had a 32" fiberglass shower and is
now 48" ceramic tile. Both have glass doors, rain head, hand held, etc.
It took me 30 yers but did it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2017 03:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built?

The original plumber gave the inspector a picture of Ben Franklin?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/02/2017 1:25 PM, Oren wrote:

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

Ergo, not much legal recourse one suspects unless you can somehow show
the previous owners were aware of the problem and deliberately concealed
it. Inspectors write in such deep caveats that there's no hope of
affixing them with blame in not having uncovered it in buyer's inspection...

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

There's the hassle w/ slab construction -- cheaper initially but when
something does go wrong...

Just to make your day, another similar story--we discovered a urinal in
mens' restroom in church that was also totally unconnected to the waste
collection line but was just running into the open vault for the steam
and plumbing lines. Had, as near as can tell, been that way for 50+ yr.
at least since a remodel in the early '60s. It's possible although not
possible to prove that it had been that way since original construction
in the early '20s so perhaps nearly 100 yr.

So, I'd check other fixtures carefully while you're at it, "just in case".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

Recently had a slab leak on a drain pipe, insurance wanted 3 bids and was
adamant about tunneling under the slab even though the cost was 3x as much.
I told them I wasn't comfortable with tunneling and would prefer cutting
slab, they said "NO" they wanted to tunnel. I said fine, they paid the
tunneling estimate and I had them bust the slab out in an ajoining bedroom
with carpet. Got every bit of dirt back in the hole. Even my plumber buddy
said he didn't like tunneling because of the same reasons I had. So if they
say tunnel, take the money and use it to remodel the bath : ) Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 4:16 PM, Trumpster wrote:
On 08/02/2017 03:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built?

The original plumber gave the inspector a picture of Ben Franklin?

Do something requiring a building permit in or around your house and
you'll get a couple of visits from a building inspector. Build a
development and the only time the building inspectors get out of their
cars is if they need to get some boards, nails or other freebees.
You don't have to bribe the inspector, you just bribe his boss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 11:25:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

(cooties).

Like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Coot...e/142464044084

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

On what theory is this a home owner's insurance claim? If it
was built wrong, if it failed, none of my policies ever covered
anything like that. If a water pipe bursts and does damage to the
structure, they cover that, but if it's an underground pipe, leaking
into the ground, causing no damage to the structure or contents,
I've never heard of a policy that covered that. But I guess you
have nothing to lose. I'd be reading the policy to try to come up
with an angle.

The plumber is expected
back with a camera -- I'll see what comes about.

I do have a closet wall to check behind the tub drain pipe. Much
cheaper if we get access behind the tub drain and see or room to work.

My community has 400 homes. My guess is other were cheated by a
plumber. Damn Mesians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Aug 2017 11:25:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

Buy a concrete saw. It will be cheaper than renting it 'till you are
done. That will be the least of your expenses.
A bulldozer might be quicker and cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank "frank wrote in news
On 8/2/2017 4:16 PM, Trumpster wrote:
On 08/02/2017 03:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built?

The original plumber gave the inspector a picture of Ben Franklin?

Do something requiring a building permit in or around your house and
you'll get a couple of visits from a building inspector. Build a
development and the only time the building inspectors get out of their
cars is if they need to get some boards, nails or other freebees.
You don't have to bribe the inspector, you just bribe his boss.

When I had a new roof put on my house, the inspector inspected it from his
car, He didn't even get out. I watched from my window. I think that
permit cost me a few hundred dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/17 8:38 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On what theory is this a home owner's insurance claim? If it
was built wrong, if it failed, none of my policies ever covered
anything like that. If a water pipe bursts and does damage to the
structure, they cover that, but if it's an underground pipe, leaking
into the ground, causing no damage to the structure or contents,
I've never heard of a policy that covered that. But I guess you
have nothing to lose. I'd be reading the policy to try to come up
with an angle.

Don't know how close this transers, but my daughter water bill was
big because of a leak. They tracked it down to a place under the slab
and the insurance paid to dig it up, replace the length of pipe
(apparently it had been up against a stone in the concrete and
eventually wore through), and redo the concrete. Might be the same
thing. No damage at all except for tearing up the concrete. I didn't ask
too many questions about the theory for fear they'd think about it and
change their minds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Lots of unknowns in your story. Did you buy the property "as is"? Was
it inspected prior to purchase by a licensed inspector? How long ago
did you purchase it and what is your state's statute of limitations for
liability for undisclosed or recently discovered defects? Do you have a
mortgage and are you required in your mortgage contract to notify the
lender if and when substantial threats to the value of the property are
discovered or occur? I'm not a real estate lawyer but a preliminary
consultation with one may help determine if you have any legal recourse
to soften what is likely to be a substantial expense to bring the
problem up to code.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2017 10:27 PM, Boris wrote:
Frank "frank wrote in news
On 8/2/2017 4:16 PM, Trumpster wrote:
On 08/02/2017 03:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built?

The original plumber gave the inspector a picture of Ben Franklin?

Do something requiring a building permit in or around your house and
you'll get a couple of visits from a building inspector. Build a
development and the only time the building inspectors get out of their
cars is if they need to get some boards, nails or other freebees.
You don't have to bribe the inspector, you just bribe his boss.

When I had a new roof put on my house, the inspector inspected it from his
car, He didn't even get out. I watched from my window. I think that
permit cost me a few hundred dollars.

I'm intending to get a new deck this fall. It requires 2 building
permits. One to tear down the old one and one to put up a new one.
How many inspectors does it take to see if something is torn down
according to code? I think there will be one single inspection on site
as contractor can just email in plans and photos. The county will get
$350 in permit fees.

When I first moved here my septic leach field came up and I required a
second alternate field. Builder would not honor warranty and county was
going to sue me, not him, so I was fighting with both. I hired guy to
put in new field, inspector came out and glanced in my garage and saw
pull down stairs I had installed to attic space there for storage.
Inspector wrote me up as having an additional room and it increased my
property tax.

I got through to the inspector's boss and told him that inspector did
not know why stairs were there and they should come out and see it was
not a livable space that I had added. They came out, physically
examined it and removed the extra tax.

I could tell other stories but corruption between county government and
builders has gone on for years. I'm convinced it is the same everywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2017 8:23 AM, Peter wrote:

Lots of unknowns in your story. Did you buy the property "as is"? Was
it inspected prior to purchase by a licensed inspector?

Do you really think an inspector would catch it? he may check that
water goes down the drain but he is not going to pull it apart to see if
it is connected. It is not something visible

I'm not a real estate lawyer

Good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 17:38:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On what theory is this a home owner's insurance claim? If it
was built wrong, if it failed, none of my policies ever covered
anything like that. If a water pipe bursts and does damage to the
structure, they cover that, but if it's an underground pipe, leaking
into the ground, causing no damage to the structure or contents,
I've never heard of a policy that covered that. But I guess you
have nothing to lose. I'd be reading the policy to try to come up
with an angle.

No particular reason. Home owner's insurance was the first thing that
came to mind. Regardless, I still have a deductible. I think my plan
is to go through the bedroom closet wall that abuts the tub drain and
have a good look, without just ripping the tub out, So there is a
bright side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 08:23:56 -0400, Peter wrote:

Lots of unknowns in your story. Did you buy the property "as is"? Was
it inspected prior to purchase by a licensed inspector? How long ago
did you purchase it and what is your state's statute of limitations for
liability for undisclosed or recently discovered defects? Do you have a
mortgage and are you required in your mortgage contract to notify the
lender if and when substantial threats to the value of the property are
discovered or occur? I'm not a real estate lawyer but a preliminary
consultation with one may help determine if you have any legal recourse
to soften what is likely to be a substantial expense to bring the
problem up to code.

I take the 5th. Know when to stand up and when to shut up. Do you
always show your cards?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 09:56:30 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm not a real estate lawyer

Good.

Yep. 10% graduate at the bottom of their class.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2017 09:27 PM, Boris wrote:
Frank "frank wrote in news
On 8/2/2017 4:16 PM, Trumpster wrote:
On 08/02/2017 03:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
How
did this ever pass city inspection when house was built?

The original plumber gave the inspector a picture of Ben Franklin?

Do something requiring a building permit in or around your house and
you'll get a couple of visits from a building inspector. Build a
development and the only time the building inspectors get out of their
cars is if they need to get some boards, nails or other freebees.
You don't have to bribe the inspector, you just bribe his boss.

When I had a new roof put on my house, the inspector inspected it from his
car, He didn't even get out. I watched from my window. I think that
permit cost me a few hundred dollars.

I had my house rewired and the inspector just did a quick check.

In this case I doubt the inspector was bribed, he probably just did a
quick check.

Unless this is going to cost a huge fortune to fix, I would not try to
collect on any possible home insurance...not only will it cause your
rate to go up, it would lead to a near impossible legal battle to go
after the builder.

I'd just fix it and move on. If you have to tear out part of the wall
behind the tub it's not a major job to replace it. Even though I'm
modestly good at doing plumbing work, in this case I'd hire a licensed
plumber. All I'd do is take the wall out before he got there and give
him as much access as possible.

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I will make my other comments later... Do a walk or roll in shower. Unless
the bride HAS to have a tub. I feel for you brother...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I just want to connect the drain pipe on the tub, brother. Not trying
to reinvent a bathroom.

She has a woosie tub in the master bath. Yep. We connected the pipes.
When we did that chore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 11:48:21 -0500, philo wrote:

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2017 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

I had Lake Poo-Poo Caca under my house a few years back.
I feel your pain. I will say a prayer for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 18:25:29 -0700, T wrote:

I had Lake Poo-Poo Caca under my house a few years back.
I feel your pain. I will say a prayer for you.

Thanks Todd. I need all the help I can get. I'm letting all this sink
in my head so I have a good game plan to fix it. My bride said "it
has been that way for twenty years."

I'll make a plan and gather the tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/04/2017 05:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 11:48:21 -0500, philo wrote:

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

I enjoyed that show when I was a kid but always though it a bit odd that
only 20 years after WW-II one could make comedy out of a German POW camp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 09:45:03 -0500, philo wrote:

On 08/04/2017 05:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 11:48:21 -0500, philo wrote:

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

I enjoyed that show when I was a kid but always though it a bit odd that
only 20 years after WW-II one could make comedy out of a German POW camp.

I was channeling Sergeant Schultz, "I see nothing". Not being an
expert on the M word I will not use it because of all the implications
and costs of abatement, disclosure, etc.. If it turns out the M word
is present I will take corrective action, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

I have now read all the replies and still feel for you...

I would go in through the wall, that way you have access to all the
plumbing; controls, support, valves, drains. It would be a lot of digging
and hand work. A plumbers dream or nightmare. I think the slab method would
have to get the tub removed. A lot of work. Tunneling is not my idea of a
fix. Maybe your wife could ask around for ideas. IIRC she used to be in the
biz.

Again, that is a drain of money and mind...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 10:45:08 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 08/04/2017 05:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 11:48:21 -0500, philo wrote:

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

I enjoyed that show when I was a kid but always though it a bit odd that
only 20 years after WW-II one could make comedy out of a German POW camp.

Weird thing, they're still watching it. We lived in Germany in the mid 2000s (2003 - 2008). We had the German satellite tv to help with the language, and Hogan's Heroes was on constantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 3:00:22 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 10:45:08 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 08/04/2017 05:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 11:48:21 -0500, philo wrote:

If the area is moldy you may want to get a professional abatement team
in...The whole thing could be hazardous to your health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

I enjoyed that show when I was a kid but always though it a bit odd that
only 20 years after WW-II one could make comedy out of a German POW camp.

Weird thing, they're still watching it. We lived in Germany in the mid 2000s (2003 - 2008). We had the German satellite tv to help with the language, and Hogan's Heroes was on constantly.

Um, wouldn't the mid 2000's start around the year 2500? snicker ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Future Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 2:25:28 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

Please let us know how this all works out, both physically and legally. i.e how was the
problem recitfied and who paid for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/08/2017 04:53 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Weird thing, they're still watching it. We lived in Germany in the mid 2000s (2003 - 2008). We had the German satellite tv to help with the language, and Hogan's Heroes was on constantly.

Um, wouldn't the mid 2000's start around the year 2500? snicker ヽ(ヅ)ノ

That would actually be mid 2xxx's (x is a wildcard, 0 is not), but
people are normally imprecise and seem to like it that way.

[8~{} Uncle Future Monster