Minnie Bannister

Default "Real paint" from a "real paint store" -- disappointing

Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a
pre-primed door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint)
and found that there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.
ROBMURR

Not really, I double coat everything.
Heck its only a door, how big is that...
Did you use a quality paint brush?
Paint was shaken properly?
Minnie Bannister

I stirred the paint well and put it on with a roller.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 12:36 pm ROBMURR put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Not really, I double coat everything.
Heck its only a door, how big is that...
Did you use a quality paint brush?
Paint was shaken properly?

Doug Miller

In article , Minnie Bannister wrote:
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a
pre-primed door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint)
and found that there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

If the can claims one-coat coverage, then, yes. But I'll bet the directions
say to use two coats. And you just discovered why. :-)
Eric Tonks

I never use one coat. You will find that the first coat does not go on
thickly without running, it's main job is to bond the the layer below. If
that layer is old and very hard, the paint will not give a lot of coverage
as it slides around on the old coat.

24 hours later, a second coat will lay thick, quickly laying onto and
bonding with the "not fully hardened first coat" giving a thick, full
coverage layer with no showthrough.

. com...

wrote:
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a
pre-primed door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint)
and found that there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

If the can claims one-coat coverage, then, yes. But I'll bet the

directions
say to use two coats. And you just discovered why. :-)

Joe Bobst

I stirred the paint well and put it on with a roller.

Common professional practice is to slap it on with a rolloer and then brush out
smooth. Go to a job site where real painters work and watch the techniques.
Very instructive and amazing how fast they can lay down a near perfect paint
film. HTH

Joe
xrongor

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

no.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed
door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that
there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

I've never been pleased with a one coat job with even the best paints. A
lot has to do with the prep you did and what color you are trying to cover.
The second coat can be faster and thinner, but it does add something to the
job.

Minnie Bannister

There wasn't a danger of runs, as I had the door laid flat on saw
horses. I might well have applied a second coat anyway, but for
durability rather than for coverage.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 02:10 pm Eric Tonks put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

I never use one coat. You will find that the first coat does not go on
thickly without running, it's main job is to bond the the layer below. If
that layer is old and very hard, the paint will not give a lot of coverage
as it slides around on the old coat.

24 hours later, a second coat will lay thick, quickly laying onto and
bonding with the "not fully hardened first coat" giving a thick, full
coverage layer with no showthrough.

Red Neckerson

"Minnie Bannister" wrote
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed
door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that
there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

The ProClassic is one of their bottom-line paints.....

Joseph Meehan

Minnie Bannister wrote:
I stirred the paint well and put it on with a roller.

One coat coverage is based on three things. A smooth prepared, surface;
you likely have that. A given application rate (so much paint per area, and
an even coverage. You may or may not have the amount of paint right, but I
doubt if you are going to get the even coverage using a roller. Many pros
use rollers, but then brush it smooth.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

DanG

All paint needs xxx number of mills to accomplish its task. Many
commercial jobs actually measure the mills of installed paint to
check for compliance with specifications.

I find many people try to squeeze the paint onto walls, ceilings,
and other surfaces and try to make the paint go as far as
possible. Painters tend to hang as much paint on in each coat as
possible, just short of runs and sags. The paint is cheap, the
labor is high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in
message ...
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a
pre-primed door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish
tint) and found that there are still dark patches showing
through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country
will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not
by your elected representatives.

Minnie Bannister

I would not have thought so, considering the price, $36.49 for a gallon.
How much should "good" paint cost?

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
elected representatives.

On 10/21/04 06:19 pm Red Neckerson put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed
door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that
there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

The ProClassic is one of their bottom-line paints.....

Paul M

Paul M

Mikey S.

If you really need one coat coverage try Sherwin Williams 'Superpaint', I
painted a medium blue ceiling white and it covered in one coat..I was
amazed. I put a second coat on just for the heck of it since I always do and
this is the better practice, but you can get away with one coat coverage
with superpaint if your careful.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed
door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that
there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected
representatives.

Minnie Bannister

"Coverage/Hiding" is the only category in which SuperPaint is better
than ProClassic, according to the comparison chart on the S-W Web site

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/diy/...atingchart.asp

ProClassic is equal to or better than SuperPaint in the other categories.

MB

On 10/22/04 09:36 am Mikey S. put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

If you really need one coat coverage try Sherwin Williams 'Superpaint', I
painted a medium blue ceiling white and it covered in one coat..I was
amazed. I put a second coat on just for the heck of it since I always do and
this is the better practice, but you can get away with one coat coverage
with superpaint if your careful.

Minnie Bannister

According to the comparison chart on the S-W Web site

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/diy/...atingchart.asp

ProClassic is their best interior paint in every category other than
"Coverage/Hiding," in which SuperPaint is best.

MB

On 10/21/04 06:19 pm Red Neckerson put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Applied a coat of Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White to a pre-primed
door yesterday (primer has a very, very pale greenish tint) and found that
there are still dark patches showing through.

Shouldn't one coat of a decent paint have been sufficient?

The ProClassic is one of their bottom-line paints.....

curmudgeon

NEWSFLASH:
Painting dark colors over light is a LOT tougher test of paint (and the
painter) than light over dark.. It might defy your "logic", but ask any pro
painter.