JohnF

Default I guess it's serious now...We're moving to Phoenix. Advice on where to live please

That says it all. I gotta decide where to live now. The shop will, if
the loan goes through, be in the south Glendale/west Phoenix area at
the 17 and 60. We start early, 5:00AM, so traffic won't be a huge
problem but I don't want to live too awful far away. I'll be renting
for a while and if everything works out decent I'll buy a house over
there. My son is taking over the house and payments in here San Diego
so I won't have to sell out.

For now I need an apartment in a decent area for (well) under a
thousand and ideas as to where to look into houses. I need some space
and a garage for my projects, usually car related. I know some about
SE Phoenix (Gilbert/Chandler/Apache Junction) and was hoping they
would set up down in the Gilbert area but they picked a building in
West Phoenix so now I'm lost.

The Google search turned up a boat-load of realtors with their views
but I need something from someone real.....no pun.

Thanks

JohnF

Brian Lawson

Hey John,

I'm posting this reply before reading further on to see what others
have to say, and besides, I can't help with where to live in Phoenix.
But you make a statement about your present home in S.D that I think
you should do some investigating about. If your son "takes over" the
house, will he actually get a mortgage and own it? If not, then the
mortgage remains with you, and that cost may reflect on any future
mortgage that you apply for on a place in Phoenix. And if you are
successful in getting that mortgage, you will become a "landlord", and
future sales may reflect as capital income. Don't take my word for
any of this, but speak to someone down your way who knows and is
familiar with your "rules".

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:04:03 GMT, JohnF
wrote:

[...]

Rex B

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 16:56:53 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:

||Hey John,
||I'm posting this reply before reading further on to see what others
||have to say, and besides, I can't help with where to live in Phoenix.
||But you make a statement about your present home in S.D that I think
||you should do some investigating about. If your son "takes over" the
||house, will he actually get a mortgage and own it? If not, then the
||mortgage remains with you, and that cost may reflect on any future
||mortgage that you apply for on a place in Phoenix. And if you are
||successful in getting that mortgage, you will become a "landlord", and
||future sales may reflect as capital income. Don't take my word for
||any of this, but speak to someone down your way who knows and is
||familiar with your "rules".

Brian speaks the truth. Make sure it's a bona fide sale or you will be liable
for the capital gains on the appreciation of the house. I just went through
this, renting my house to my daughter. I believe you have to reside in the house
for 2 of the previous 5 years in order to escape the capital gains tax on the
"profit" when you do finally sell it.
Texas Parts Guy
ec Roberts

I lived in/around Phoenix back in the early '60s. I found that Buckeye
was very amenable in those days and not that far from Glendale. It's a
small town with not much to support it except ag, so should still be
nice and affordable. We rented a house with a nice detatched garage
for about half what a 2 room apartment cost us on 24th Ave. in
Phoenix. That was a few years ago, granted, but I'm sure things
haven't changed that much (relatively) over the years. I have an
acquaintance in Glendale. With his permission, I'll put you in touch
with him. He is an old Navy Chief, retired there.

Pops

JohnF wrote in message . ..
[...]

Joel Corwith

I missed the original post, I've only been quick scanning the overly
political groups. When you say I-17 & 60 I'm guessing that's Grand Ave?
Otherwise I-17&US60 usually refers to the Tempe/Gilbert/Guadalupe area (and
on out to Mesa), definately not W phx/Glendale. Thomas & I-17 is where
Grand ave hits (listed as 60 on mapquest). You've got every price range
going North and West, though I-10 traffic might be worse at that hour.
Probably nothing like you're used to in CA.

ForRent magazine was my starting point for an apartment. But we had 2 weeks
to find one way back then. There are many with garages now. I know
101&I-17 has a few just behind the Target, and right next to a weekly rate
hotel. That's the 'north' end of town. I can pick up a FR and check for a
website or just mail the dern thing.

It's been a long time since looking for a house, but notice they list
apartments now:
http://www.realtor.com/phoenix/nbreg...F5&poe=realtor
There used to be a section on schools and neighborhood crime. At the time,
it was doing a better job weeding out houses then the REALTOR I was talking
with.

I have a neighbor who is a REALTOR, though that's my knowledge of his work.

Joel. phx

wrote:

[...]

JohnF

The area of the shop is by Grand and 27th in the south Glendale area.
The layout of the freeways etc still escapes me over there, I was
driving east on I-10 from the 17 by Glendale and, suddenly, there was
another 17 north/south exit just after the "tunnel". It was 1:00AM and
I figured I was in the Twilight Zone or something...............yes, I
figured it out.

No, my son is not taking over as owner, my accountant says as long as
I'm careful I can have a 2nd home in another state without screwing up
my finances.

Buckeye, Avondale, Goodyear, etc are all a sea of houses now from the
dog track on just as is southeast, Apache Junction, Chandler, Gilbert.
It's incredible. I visited my mom over there last weekend and we drove
out east of Mesa along Apache Trail until it turned very rural (flea
markets, old road, etc) and then south. We found 3 new Highschools out
there and endless houses.

JohnF
T2

Like most natives of Glendale, I also think Phoenix and the Valley
have suffered through lots of growing pains. People are still arriving
in droves and there is no end in sight. I would stay away from
anything west of Central Avenue from about Glendale Avenue to the
North and Baseline to the South. That is unless you like gunfire and
already have a gang affiliation. The current western boundry to these
problem areas is probably 80th Ave to 100th Avenues. There are
certainly pockets of great people and great homes but most people are
moving further out to the 'burbs to escape the rising crime and
declining property values. We seem to copy so many things from
California, I guess it was inevitable that we would wind up with our
own version of east LA. Good Luck, and welcome to the Valley of the
Sun, current temperature 108.

Rick Cook

If you're going to be working at 27th and Grand you do not want to try to
live on the east side of Phoenix, much less Tempe, Scottsdale or (gawd
help you) Mesa. Traffic here isn't as bad as it is in a lot of major
cities, but cross-town commutes are to be avoided and the summer heat is
murder during drive time.

Generally speaking, if you get a couple of miles north of your work
location and anywhere to the West will be pretty good.

The other good thing is that the housing prices on the west side a
generally lower than on the east side