John

Default Moving a soil pipe - advice

Hi,

and before anyone says i'm not thinking of moving the soil pipe myself
: )

Just looking for a bit of advice really whilst mulling over some
ideas. The muppet who built the extension on our house (mid 80s)
didn't bother moving the soil pipe from the straight down the middle
of the back wall of the house to the side avoiding the extension - so
i've got a larged boxed off pipe running through the roof of the
extension (which is the kitchen).

What's the problem with that you may ask? well i'm thinking of
creating an open plan kitchen/dining areas to make best use of the
space and there's a bloody great pipe in the way.

The floor of the extension is contrete and from what i can gather the
drains run parallel to the back of the house. The house is a small
terrace 1930s and there's only one toilet at the back upstairs.

My neighbour's got the main manhole cover in their garden and i've got
what looks like a modern oval shaped inspection cover about 1m out
from the back of the extension.

Anyway - to cut a long story short i want to get the pipe moved over
to the end of the extension as it isn't the full width of the house.
The drop angle from the toilet wouldn't be a problem as the roof of
the extension is low enough.

Would it be a case of digging up the concrete floor in the extension
and re-routing the drains, or could the section be sealed and a new
connection added to the drains at the new location (assuming the
drains are there and accessible etc etc)??

I know nobody can give me an exact answer and i don't want loads of
posts saying "how long's a piece of string......" but just a "leave it
alone" or "probably not too much trouble - probably cost you a few
hundred quid govner!!" would be useful.

Cheers in advance.
Rick Dipper

On 14 Apr 2004 09:42:01 -0700, (John) wrote:

[...]

Assume the man hole is for dirty water, (lift it up, flush the bog and
see if water appears) then I would simple start again. I would also
try and work out when the next man hole is, incase it goes an
unexpected way (mine do).

Put a new soil pipe in the correct place, dig a trench from the bottom
to the drain. The from all the big bang a new hole in the wall for the
pipe. For all the sinks etc, route the waste out throught the wall and
then into the soil stack.

Next step, is to get a big bit of chalk, and chalk up all the pipe
runs on the wall, this will allow you to work out how hard is going to
be.

For the drain under the floor, I would cut the pipe off, and fill it
in - I have no idea if this is the correct way.

Don't forget that you will need to sort out the roof as well, when you
take down the old stack.

Rick

G&M

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

Don't forget that you will need to sort out the roof as well, when you
take down the old stack.

And also that your BCO will want to inspect the work and pressure test it so
the old unused bit had better be sealed well.

John

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

Don't forget that you will need to sort out the roof as well, when you
take down the old stack.

And also that your BCO will want to inspect the work and pressure test it so
the old unused bit had better be sealed well.

Cheers for that. The drains for the sinks and the bath etc are all
located in a sensible spot so i don't think they'd need to be moved.
It's just the soil pipe that's in the way and it only has the one
connection from the toilet.
IMM

"John" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds easy enough. The existing drain should go to your local inspection
chamber. Test this by flushing the toilet and looking the the inspection
chamber. I assume one bathroom here. It is a case of digging up around the
inspection chamber and diverting the soil pipe to the new position on the
outside wall. Run the drain pipe up the wall to the existing toilet
position. Make sure you use plastic pipe that can be run externally.

Where is the kitchen sink connected? Is it to the exiting stack?

See:
http://ww.hepworthplumbing.co.uk look at the HepVo traps. Using these you
don't need to run the stack above the eves. Just replace the basin, bath
and kitchen sink with these traps. Only every 4th or 5th house requires the
stack run up to the roof, or at the end of a line.

The Natural Philosopher

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

99 times out of a hundred, doing things with new components in fresh
field sites is cheaper than buggering around with whats there already.

Look at where the pipe is to get to, where its coming from, and plan a
route and do it as suggested - as new.

Then you can rip up /cap whats left witha clear conscience and no worries.

Put a new soil pipe in the correct place, dig a trench from the bottom
to the drain. The from all the big bang a new hole in the wall for the
pipe. For all the sinks etc, route the waste out throught the wall and
then into the soil stack.

Next step, is to get a big bit of chalk, and chalk up all the pipe
runs on the wall, this will allow you to work out how hard is going to
be.

For the drain under the floor, I would cut the pipe off, and fill it
in - I have no idea if this is the correct way.

Don't forget that you will need to sort out the roof as well, when you
take down the old stack.

Rick

Replacing downstairs bog - soil pipe problems Jon Taylor UK diy 12 April 12th 04 11:48 PM
toilets / soil pipe position / measurements Colin Wilson UK diy 5 March 25th 04 09:13 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 08:17 AM
Soil pipe connection Neil D. UK diy 2 September 16th 03 12:11 AM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 11:14 PM