Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default A real, serious plumbing problem! advice -- legal.

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 17:00:42 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 14:50:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/2/2017 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
Discovered today from my plumber. I was stunned. My mind, and my
bride's mind is spinning where to start for recovery of bad plumbing.
It has to be fixed. regardless.

Single story, concrete foundation. Parts are missing from drain
plumbing so water drains directly to soil under the foundation
(cooties).

House it 20 years old, I bought as second owner.

The rubber gasket and tub shoe is not present so water drains directly
to ground soil. The tub has a "tub basket", even has plumbers putty
on it. Just pull the drain out, look and water under the tub. I was
stunned.

Sample pic:

https://tinyurl.com/y7n9dche

Were would you start to rectify the problem.

Was this something never installed? Not connected to the sewer pipe?
Could it have fallen off at some point and the water made a sinkhole?

Yes, no. maybe. I don't know. Two owners never messed with the tub.
Eleven years and it is hard to figure why the problems was never
noticed.

Sounds like a potential major problem to fix. Is there any opening from
the wall to the drain? If not you may have to cut the slab. When I
remodeled the bathrooms, i made a larger shower on the first floor that
is on a slab. That meant the drain had to move to the side 8" to
accommodate the shower that was 16" wider. It meant cutting the slab
wide enough to access the pipe. In your case, you may have to remove
the tub to so so.

Two choices. Demo the bath room or go in from behind a closet (my
choice) if it works, would be easy. The closet may not align up for
repair. Out comes my tape measure.

This may be the time to do any upgrades to the bathroom. If you have to
fix this, why not just spend another $15,000 to do it right.

Walk in tub would be my choice :-)

I will make my other comments later... Do a walk or roll in shower. Unless
the bride HAS to have a tub. I feel for you brother...

I just want to connect the drain pipe on the tub, brother. Not trying
to reinvent a bathroom.

She has a woosie tub in the master bath. Yep. We connected the pipes.
When we did that chore.