Posted to alt.home.repair

Default continuous cleaning oven

In the 70's (gold stoves and appliances were popular) my parents remodeled
their kitchen and purchased Kenmore appliances. The oven was a continuous
cleaning type and it worked Wonderfully. In fact my brother now lives in the
house and the stove is still being used. My mother NEVER had to clean the oven
in all the years it was in use. The interior was as nice inside as when it was
bought new. The secret to using the continuous clean feature was to use your
oven often. The more you used it the cleaner it stayed. My mother probably
used it 5 days or more throughout the week. She had to make meals for a family
of 9 so she did a lot of roast and baking and pie baking etc. I purchased a
Kenmore Self cleaning oven and I hate it. It never gets really clean inside
even though I run it on the 4 hour cycle. The racks can't be left in to self
clean and the first time I actually cleaned it the brown sootl from the
cleaning came out of the stove top vent back splash and discolored the white
plastic. It was still under warranty so Sears replaced the back splash. I now
always put a very wet towel over the area to prevent discoloration. What I
failed to realize that in the front of the oven door are several more vents
and now I have brown discoloration in front. It is very disappointing and
looks terrible. I am thinking of getting rid of it and buying another one and
hoping they still make continuous cleaning ovens, When I complained to Sears
the first time they told me I was the first person to ever complain about the
discoloration. I don't know if it was just a design flaw or that they lied or
no one ever bothered to complain. I would do better with easy off oven cleaner
because it does look nicer when done and just more work and less expensive.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1135690-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2017 6:14 PM, Linda Rae wrote:
In the 70's (gold stoves and appliances were popular) my parents remodeled
their kitchen and purchased Kenmore appliances. The oven was a continuous
cleaning type and it worked Wonderfully.
hoping they still make continuous cleaning ovens, When I complained to
Sears
the first time they told me I was the first person to ever complain
about the
discoloration. I don't know if it was just a design flaw or that they
lied or
no one ever bothered to complain. I would do better with easy off oven
cleaner
because it does look nicer when done and just more work and less expensive.

I don't think they made that type for 30 years now. You are the first
person I ever heard say they liked it.
IMO, Continuous Clean was really "always looks dirty"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:06:44 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I don't have experience with the continuous clean type, but I have a kitchenaid self cleaning and it works fine. Not much left but a little light ash, no black stuff coming out the vents. Also, I think all these ovens continuous clean to some extent. It's just that at the very high clean cycle temps it can oxidize the gunk even more. If it wasn't burning some of it off all the time I think it would get dirtier a lot quicker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 22 Jun 2017 17:41:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:06:44 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/22/2017 6:14 PM, Linda Rae wrote:
In the 70's (gold stoves and appliances were popular) my parents remodeled

And some shade of dark green.

their kitchen and purchased Kenmore appliances. The oven was a continuous
cleaning type and it worked Wonderfully.

Yes, I liked mine too. I never had to clean it and it was never very
dirty. It was always a little dirty, at least they said so. Being a
guy, I didn't pay attention, but I believe them. But if anyone had
complained, I'd just say, I'm following the rules. You weren't
supposed to use oven cleaner or that would ruin it.

Unfortunately during one period I let it get far too dirty, spills or
something, which I could have dissipated by more cooking, if I hadn't
then spilled more yet, and I had an oven fire. I was going to fix
the thing, get a new heating element iirc, but I let the door slam a
little and one layer of it shattered. Obviously damaged by the heat.
And I think I needed an oven thermostat too, And some damage to the
control panel in back, that seemed to be going away with cleanilng. But
also I'm sure the self-cleaning layer was burnt off.

hoping they still make continuous cleaning ovens, When I complained to
Sears
the first time they told me I was the first person to ever complain
about the
discoloration. I don't know if it was just a design flaw or that they
lied or
no one ever bothered to complain. I would do better with easy off oven
cleaner
because it does look nicer when done and just more work and less expensive.

I don't think they made that type for 30 years now. You are the first

I think you're right.

person I ever heard say they liked it.

But I loved it.

IMO, Continuous Clean was really "always looks dirty"

I don't have experience with the continuous clean type, but I have a kitchenaid self cleaning and it works fine. Not much left but a little light ash, no black stuff coming out the vents. Also, I think all these ovens continuous clean to some extent. It's just that at the very high clean cycle temps it can oxidize the gunk even more. If it wasn't burning some of it off all the time I think it would get dirtier a lot quicker.

After the fire I looked for another harvest gold stove. If I couldnt'
find one, I'd have had to replace the refrigerator too, which is bad
because of the money and worse because I don't like any current colors.

The dishwasher was gold too but it wasn't a problem because it has 3 or
4 sheets of metal with a different color on each side, enough to match
almost anything.

I put a want ad on Craigslist and a guy wrote me. He wasnt' looking to
sell his oven, he was trying to buy firewood, and he had searched on
"fire", and he found my ad. HIs oven was like new. He said his
mother-in-law, who had just given it to them for a second stove, was a
neat freak and she must have been. They said his wife cooked a lot and
they were going to buy another stove to replace it, which makes no sense
to me, since I wasn't paying enough to buy a replacement, and he
wouldn't even take the extra 25 or 50 that I offered, because I was so
happy to find it and he helped us get it out of the basement, except
maybe the gold clashed with the family room where it was kept.
(remember, 2nd oven).

It's a GE, SELF-cleaning, and when I do that, I get some grey ash, and
it's not perfectly clean. But it doesn't scorch or damage anything on
the ooutside. . I leave the racks in, which one is not supposed to do,
and they don't slide well for the first several days afterwards. I
only do it about once a year.

My only "complaint" about it was that none of the burners or other parts
I removed from the old Kenmore would work in a GE.

I took my old stove to the town dump, but some guy at the entrance asked
for it so I gave it to him and he piled it on the back of this pickup.
He was I'm sure going to sell it for scrap metal. That's why he was
waiting there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 8:06:44 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/22/2017 6:14 PM, Linda Rae wrote:
In the 70's (gold stoves and appliances were popular) my parents remodeled

And some shade of dark green.

Avocado green...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Linda Rae, Kitty Wife wrote:
Hi Linda Rae, When I married in 1970, the first thing I bought was a Kenmore
continuous clean range. It was a 36" one, and I LOVED it!! I learned to can on
this range, used my pressure cooker all during the autumn, cooked large meals
in the oven and it worked so great!! I never had to clean it except for the
grates. By the way, it had a large oven and smaller one to the side. We had to
move 8 years later due to my hubby's transfer and took everything with us. So
the range was used 16 more years in the next house. Sadly, when we made our
last and final move, our wonderful range would not fit, so we left it behind.
:-( When we re-did our kitchen, we looked high and low for another range just
like it, but Kenmore no longer makes them. I now have a GE and HATE it. It's a
self-cleaning one that overheats when it cleans and has to be pulled away from
the wall, uses a TON of electricity, does NOT have enough stove surface for my
pressure cooker and is JUNK! I'm still looking for the type I used to have
without any success. Yes, I used my oven EVERY day as did your Mother. (I'm
probably around her age. ) I sure wish Kenmore would MAKE the model I had, and
I'd buy it today!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1135690-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2018 1:44 AM, Kitty Wife wrote:
[...]

Hi Kitty and Linda,

Have you seen these?

https://www.premierrange.com/gasranges36open.php

- Cookin' and cleanin' is women's work...as God intended.