Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 00:38:50 -0500, mm
wrote:

How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

I'd start off with a general purpose cleaner like Fantastic or Simple
Green. To my knowledge, there is nothing that will harm you if you
miss some of the powder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

I think you'd be best off asking the folks who built it. I'd bet
there is more than one surface treatment out there. [have your
model number & serial number ready]

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

That would be a question for the folks who made the extinguisher. . .
have model number and serial number ready.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2010 12:38 AM, mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

Water clean up should do it. Chemicals appear non-toxic:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-i...uestion346.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/stove.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 6:54*am, Steve Barker wrote:
mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

MY question would be, *WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????

WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher

into an oven?????

Just a WAG here ............. he thought that was the best way to
handle a fire in the oven?

aka "it seemed like a good idea in the moment"

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

-snip-

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????

Because it was there- on fire- and he had a fire extinguisher in his
hand?g

That was what my son said to explain the 'toaster oven disaster' a few
years ago. He's about as calm as they come-- but his sister caught
her toast on fire- grabbed the kitchen extinguisher- and froze. She
screamed for her brother- who ran from upstairs into a smoke filled
kitchen. She handed him the extinguisher. . . he pulled the pin and
sprayed. Then he came to his senses and grabbed the oven with a
couple pot-holders and tossed it outside.

Probably the OP could have gotten away with just removing the broiler
pan from the house-- or throwing some salt on the fire. But as it
turns out, little was lost- and much might have been gained.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:12:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

-snip-

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????

Because it was there- on fire- and he had a fire extinguisher in his
hand?g

That was what my son said to explain the 'toaster oven disaster' a few
years ago. He's about as calm as they come-- but his sister caught
her toast on fire- grabbed the kitchen extinguisher- and froze. She
screamed for her brother- who ran from upstairs into a smoke filled
kitchen. She handed him the extinguisher. . . he pulled the pin and
sprayed. Then he came to his senses and grabbed the oven with a
couple pot-holders and tossed it outside.

Probably the OP could have gotten away with just removing the broiler
pan from the house-- or throwing some salt on the fire. But as it
turns out, little was lost- and much might have been gained.

I've done something like that in the past, but the fire was bigger
this time and there were other differences. I think it would have
been dangerous to try to carry this to the door.

If it werent' for this continuous cleaning feature, there would be
little inconvenience from the extinguisher, but I'm not even allowed
to rub the surface of the oven or it damages the finish.

I've emailed whirlpool as someone suggested.

Right now I'm thinking vacuum cleaner, with the lamp shade attachment,
the only thing that won't touch the surface with more than a light,
glancing.

What's likely to happen, I think, is I will damage the surface in some
places leaving it just fine in most places. If I damaged it
everywhere, I'd just go back to the 50's and use Easy-Off or something
periodically, but if it's half-and-half, I won't want to ruin the half
that is good.

I've googled and the powder in an ABC extinguisher isnt' dangerous,
though I don't think that item included eating it, if some were to
fall on to food. I'll have to look more about that.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:12:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

-snip-

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????

Because it was there- on fire- and he had a fire extinguisher in his
hand?g

That was what my son said to explain the 'toaster oven disaster' a few
years ago. He's about as calm as they come-- but his sister caught
her toast on fire- grabbed the kitchen extinguisher- and froze. She
screamed for her brother- who ran from upstairs into a smoke filled
kitchen. She handed him the extinguisher. . . he pulled the pin and
sprayed. Then he came to his senses and grabbed the oven with a
couple pot-holders and tossed it outside.

Another problem.

This time the fire went on longer before I noticed it and it got
hotter, and the gasket on the outside around the windown bulged and
broke. Do you think I will have a hard time getting or putting in a
replacment gasket? I think the window is a common size. There is an
inside window too, I think, so the kitchen doesn't get too hot.

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

With the food and grease on fire, should he have sprayed
WD-40 instead?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
mm wrote:

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire
extinguisher
into an oven?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of my cousins threw a glass of water on a burning meat
on the range top. In a fry pan. Aparently, the flames went
down between the range and the cabinets and burned
themselves out. He was lucky.

I guess the OP could have thrown flour on the fire?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DD_BobK" wrote in message

Just a WAG here ............. he thought that was the best
way to
handle a fire in the oven?

aka "it seemed like a good idea in the moment"

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are two common fire extinguisher powders in household
units. One is glorified baking soda, the other is mono
ammonium phosphate. The baking soda should come off with
warm water, the other I'm less sure about.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

I've googled and the powder in an ABC extinguisher isnt'
dangerous,
though I don't think that item included eating it, if some
were to
fall on to food. I'll have to look more about that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As others have suggested, calling the manufacturer is a good
idea. Very sad to hear you had an oven fire. Sounds like you
saved the house, and wife and kids.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

Another problem.

This time the fire went on longer before I noticed it and it
got
hotter, and the gasket on the outside around the windown
bulged and
broke. Do you think I will have a hard time getting or
putting in a
replacment gasket? I think the window is a common size.
There is an
inside window too, I think, so the kitchen doesn't get too
hot.

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

-snip-

Another problem.

This time the fire went on longer before I noticed it and it got
hotter, and the gasket on the outside around the windown bulged and
broke. Do you think I will have a hard time getting or putting in a
replacment gasket? I think the window is a common size. There is an
inside window too, I think, so the kitchen doesn't get too hot.

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.

Tough call-- but I'd be considering replacing the stove. Your
insulation is likely shot- and there may be a bare wire in there
wanting to spark what's left.

Homeowners insurance might cover it--- but you might be better off
just biting the bullet and doing it on your own.

How old is the stove? Can you make yourself hate it & make this a
'good' thing.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:55:10 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

mm wrote:

-snip-

Another problem.

This time the fire went on longer before I noticed it and it got
hotter, and the gasket on the outside around the windown bulged and
broke. Do you think I will have a hard time getting or putting in a
replacment gasket? I think the window is a common size. There is an
inside window too, I think, so the kitchen doesn't get too hot.

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.

Tough call-- but I'd be considering replacing the stove. Your
insulation is likely shot- and there may be a bare wire in there
wanting to spark what's left.

Very Good points about the insulation and possible bare wire. I've
been avoiding looking at the stove. I'll look at the wires for bare
wires, and check temperatures at the sides and front to see if they
are hot. The back is an inch from the wall. I guess that is close
enough I have to check that out too.

Homeowners insurance might cover it--- but you might be better off
just biting the bullet and doing it on your own.

How old is the stove? Can you make yourself hate it & make this a
'good' thing.

I thought that would come up eventually. It's 30 years old, but if I
replace it, I have to replace the matching harvest gold refrigerator
too. A) I wanted to not spend the money. B) I wanted to see how long
I could last on the original applicances. I can be almost obsessesd
with that sort of thing.

The dishwasher is also harvest gold but it has one or two other panels
in it for 3 or 5 more colors. I can probably get a sheet of stainless
steel if I have to to match that if that is what I have to buy, but I
don't want stainless steel. I want what I have. I always do.

I even replaced the kitchen counter with someothing that picked up the
harvest gold color, but it will look good or okay with other things
too.

I've even considered no more broiling or baking just so I can keep the
same stove, but I coudln't keep such a pledge for too long. .

A few months ago I googled to buy a harvest gold stove or fridge and I
found one but it was far away. No stove today. I did find a very
recent post by some girl who bought a house 4 years ago with a harvest
gold fridge that is working fine.

Maybe I need to look for used appliance stores around here.

I can live without an oven for a little while. I have a big electric
rotisserie/ griddle in the basement that I can put on top of the stove
maybe. And my old table-top electric broiler that I used for years
before I moved here.

I wish I weren't obsessive, on stuff like this.

Jim

Thanks for all the help. There's still a chance this one can be
vacuumed and/or reduced to a regular oven, not self or coninuous
cleaning. My ex girl friend has one like that (but she rarely makes
meat.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:54:28 -0500, mm
wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

I meant, Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One of my cousins threw a glass of water on a burning meat
on the range top. In a fry pan. Aparently, the flames went
down between the range and the cabinets and burned
themselves out. He was lucky.

I guess the OP could have thrown flour on the fire?

If he wanted an explosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Next time, just turn it off and close the door.

The powder could be baking soda.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 12:38*am, mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

Its baking soda for the most part, NON TOXIC

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 1:11*pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:12:40 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

-snip-

[...]

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.- Hide quoted text -

"This time the fire went longer" You have been banned from using the
oven. What do you do put stuff in a forget about it? put one of those
big clock timers on a chain and around you neck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

Arm & Hammer used to make a non-caustic oven cleaner that worked by
heating the oven to 450F+ for 30 minutes. I think they sold it to
Easy-Off, and it's now called Easy-Off Non-Fuming.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think we got the picture. You're welcome.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

I meant, Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
(Tale of minor OCD snipped)

Local Habitat ReStore, CraigsList, local ad paper, the back room at
local Ma'n'Pa appliance store, are all good sources for used clean
working appliances in whatever color you want. You may have to wait a
few weeks and watch closely, but it'll turn up. And unlike a frig,
energy efficiency isn't a big concern with a stove, because it is on so
little.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:35:15 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

mm wrote:
(Tale of minor OCD snipped)

Yes indeed. At least I don't have major OCD!

Local Habitat ReStore, CraigsList, local ad paper, the back room at
local Ma'n'Pa appliance store, are all good sources for used clean

Good ideas. Will do. Thanks a lot. Copy to my email program to
remind myself.

working appliances in whatever color you want. You may have to wait a
few weeks and watch closely, but it'll turn up. And unlike a frig,
energy efficiency isn't a big concern with a stove, because it is on so
little.

Good point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:11:24 -0500, mm
wrote:

This time the fire went on longer before I noticed it and it got
hotter, and the gasket on the outside around the windown bulged and
broke. Do you think I will have a hard time getting or putting in a
replacment gasket? I think the window is a common size. There is an
inside window too, I think, so the kitchen doesn't get too hot.

The gasket around the door might have been damaged too.

The glass is probably tempered and expensive. Appliance dealer or
parts house should have the gasket. See what you can find at
www.repairclinic.com for starters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

-snip-
[...]

OR,,,,, OR maybe just close the door. duh. and turn it off. It can't
burn forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:07:44 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Next time, just turn it off and close the door.

It was already off with the door closed when it was burning. At a
certain point the fire makes its own heat. That's why it burned
longer than I expected, because it was off and I didn't think it would
burn at that point.** .

Also for someone else, at this point it was churning out loads of dark
smoke and the flame was almost hitting one top burner.

If I'd put out the fire earlier it might not have damaged the front
window gasket, and if I'd done it later, it might have damaged even
more parts.

It turns out the powder isn't on the top or sides of the oven, only on
the bottom (which had tin foil covering it) and some on the bottom
half of the door. (Not sure about the back.)

**Something is strange about it when it's empty. When there is meat
on the broiler tray, the grease in the bottom, under the perforated
tray, doesn't sizzle when I pull out the shelf, but after I take the
meat off and put the tray back, then it sizzles. I've been wondering
about this for years.

The powder could be baking soda.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

It sounds like your oven door didn't seal very well, or it would have run out of
oxygen.

It turns out the powder isn't on the top or sides of the oven, only on
the bottom (which had tin foil covering it) and some on the bottom
half of the door. (Not sure about the back.)

**Something is strange about it when it's empty. When there is meat
on the broiler tray, the grease in the bottom, under the perforated
tray, doesn't sizzle when I pull out the shelf, but after I take the
meat off and put the tray back, then it sizzles. I've been wondering
about this for years.

Could be condensed water (from while you cut the hot meat) dripping into the oil
when you put it back (WAG)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

My mom used the oven maybe 5 days a week, as I remember for 40 years,
she never had a fire. We have an apartment building with alot of blue
collar tenants, in 40 years I dont remember 1 oven fire. You have to
be real careless, dumb, to be having oven fires. They need to pull
your oven permit, you need to go to oven driving school, you should
be on oven probation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 4:54*pm, mm wrote:

I thought that would come up eventually. *It's 30 years old, but if I
replace it, I have to replace the matching harvest gold refrigerator
too. *A) I wanted to not spend the money. B) I wanted to see how long
I could last on the original applicances. *I can be almost obsessesd
with that sort of thing.

You really should think about replacing the refrigerator. Newer
models
use much less power, resulting in considerable savings of money.

Stainless steel goes with everything. It's like denim.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

This is one of those stories that really should be accompanied by a link to
a YouTube video.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:33:41 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

This is one of those stories that really should be accompanied by a link to
a YouTube video.

Alas, I didn't have time to video it.

Sometimes I wonder on Funniest Home Videos when something bad is about
to happen but the person keeps shooting the video -- not even a cry of
warning -- or when a kid comes over crying, and s/he's still shooting
the video.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed
it with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

This is one of those stories that really should be accompanied by a
link to a YouTube video.

Alas, I didn't have time to video it.

Sometimes I wonder on Funniest Home Videos when something bad is about
to happen but the person keeps shooting the video -- not even a cry of
warning -- or when a kid comes over crying, and s/he's still shooting
the video.

"Professional" "news" photographers and reporters do the same thing. Anything
for a story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

This is a troll, right?

If not, just take some rags, some HOT water, some elbow grease, and get out
the worst of it. Then get out the next worse. You will work yourself down
to a manageable pile of stuff, but the major part can be taken off with HOT
water and elbow grease. Spray with a mister and let sit to soften. The
answer is there is no easy answer.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

Try a shop vac, then damp rags.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:54:40 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed it
with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous coating
that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface to burn
off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Thanks.

MY question would be, WHY the hell did you spray a fire extinguisher
into an oven?????

Now that you mentioned it, wouldn't it be a lot easier with less mess
to just close the oven door to suffocate the fire? I had stove fires
before, but grabbing the fire extinguisher would be my last resort.
Another thought--maybe someone needs to banned from the kitchen.

Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better? RC Home Repair 35 March 11th 20 10:47 PM
Clean Oven Glass? Dan Home Repair 16 September 12th 06 04:59 AM
slef clean oven not hot enuf to clean [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 February 13th 06 09:51 PM
Cleaning a "Clean Stream" Gortex filter... loutent Woodworking 10 August 23rd 05 07:19 PM