loutent

Default Cleaning a "Clean Stream" Gortex filter...

I have had my Sears shop vac for many years (maybe
10 or so). It is great. Almost immediately after buying
it, I purchased a Gortex Clean Stream filter to fit. I have
never regretted it. This filter filters much better than the original
paper plus it seems to last forever - well at least 10 years.

The problem with it is cleaning it. It seems that after a month
or so, I actually have to clean the thing. Here is what I do:
I wheel the vac out to the driveway, then pull up the motor
housing (with filter) and start pounding on it with my
dust brush - the fine powder drops into the cannister. I
continue rotating/tapping - then brushing between the
pleats until I am satisfied. It usually works out fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a better/easier
method to clean these great filters.

Lou
no(SPAM)vasys

loutent wrote:
I have had my Sears shop vac for many years (maybe
10 or so). It is great. Almost immediately after buying
it, I purchased a Gortex Clean Stream filter to fit. I have
never regretted it. This filter filters much better than the original
paper plus it seems to last forever - well at least 10 years.

The problem with it is cleaning it. It seems that after a month
or so, I actually have to clean the thing. Here is what I do:
I wheel the vac out to the driveway, then pull up the motor
housing (with filter) and start pounding on it with my
dust brush - the fine powder drops into the cannister. I
continue rotating/tapping - then brushing between the
pleats until I am satisfied. It usually works out fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a better/easier
method to clean these great filters.

Lou

I use a slightly pointy stick (sorry no plans available) to clean the
crud out from between the pleats and then blast the filter with a garden
hose.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Morris Dovey

loutent (in ) said:

| The problem with it is cleaning it. It seems that after a month
| or so, I actually have to clean the thing. Here is what I do:
| I wheel the vac out to the driveway, then pull up the motor
| housing (with filter) and start pounding on it with my
| dust brush - the fine powder drops into the cannister. I
| continue rotating/tapping - then brushing between the
| pleats until I am satisfied. It usually works out fine.

Easier way: I dump the canister contents into a trash can, then set
the inverted top on the canister and hit it with the air hose. Cleans
out the pleats completely and the ShopVac is ready to use again in
less than five minutes total.

I picked up an 18" wand that keeps me out of the dust and makes the
job go faster. It's worth every penny of the $3 or so I paid for it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Greg O

I'm wondering if anyone has found a better/easier
method to clean these great filters.

Lou

Take the garden hose after it and spray it off.
Greg

loutent

In article , Greg O
wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone has found a better/easier
method to clean these great filters.

Lou

Take the garden hose after it and spray it off.
Greg

Thanks for the replies,

I have avoided the wet (garden hose) method for fear
of sucking moisture into the motor - if I didn't allow
enough drying time.

I will try some of the "dry" methods first I think.

Thanks again!

Lou
no(SPAM)vasys

loutent wrote:

Thanks for the replies,

I have avoided the wet (garden hose) method for fear
of sucking moisture into the motor - if I didn't allow
enough drying time.

I will try some of the "dry" methods first I think.

Thanks again!

Lou

I think you'll find that the motor is isolated from the air flow. The
only part of the motor that would come in contact with any moisture
would be the shaft that connects to the impeller.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

Thomas Bunetta

"loutent" wrote in message
I have had my Sears shop vac for many years (maybe

,snip
Lou

I got one a number of years ago... at first I (honestly!) read the
instructions and used water... and the metal part began to rust.
Since then it's outside on the downwind side of the shop and blast with a
compressed air hose!
Done deal!
Tom

woodworker88

I have a couple of shop vacs, a small one I acquired when I was first
setting up my shop and the big one I use now. I take the big filter
out, beat most of the dust off, then use the small vac with a brush
attachment to suck the rest of the dust out. Sometimes I hit it with
the garden hose as well. So far I've only had to replace one filter,
and that was because I used the wet /dry vac to suck up some spilled
pool chemicals (muriatic acid) and it kinda ate the filter...