Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

mm wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:07:44 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

mm wrote:
How do I clean a continuous cleaning oven?

What do I have to do to clean an electric oven after I have sprayed
it with a fire extinguisher, one that sprays the white powder?

If I miss any of it and gets in my food, is it poisonous?

It's a "continous cleaning" oven, that has some sort of porous
coating that absorbs grease and brings it graduatly to the surface
to burn off.

I forgot and left the electric broiler element on, and it seeems to
get so much hotter when it is empty, or almost, and what little food
was in there caught on fire, plus the grease in the bottom of the
broiler pan.

Next time, just turn it off and close the door.

It was already off with the door closed when it was burning. At a
certain point the fire makes its own heat. That's why it burned
longer than I expected, because it was off and I didn't think it would
burn at that point.** .

Also for someone else, at this point it was churning out loads of dark
smoke and the flame was almost hitting one top burner.

If I'd put out the fire earlier it might not have damaged the front
window gasket, and if I'd done it later, it might have damaged even
more parts.

It sounds like your oven door didn't seal very well, or it would have run out of
oxygen.

It turns out the powder isn't on the top or sides of the oven, only on
the bottom (which had tin foil covering it) and some on the bottom
half of the door. (Not sure about the back.)

**Something is strange about it when it's empty. When there is meat
on the broiler tray, the grease in the bottom, under the perforated
tray, doesn't sizzle when I pull out the shelf, but after I take the
meat off and put the tray back, then it sizzles. I've been wondering
about this for years.

Could be condensed water (from while you cut the hot meat) dripping into the oil
when you put it back (WAG)