Greg Sumner

Default Kenmore refrigerator, continuous water dispenser flow

I have received second-hand a relatively new Kenmore fridge, model "22",
side-by-side with auto-ice maker and water dispenser on the freezer door.
Unknown model year, I'd say maybe 5-6 years old. Previous owner says he had
no problems with it at all.

At first my problem was the icemaker overflowing. I turned off the water
behind the fridge until I could look at it. I figured either the tray had
water in it already, or the timer was askew. So I removed the icemaker
housing and cleaned it out, re-inserted it, and plugged it all back in.

I also ran the water dispenser, to find a new surprise. The water flow
doesn't stop, it just keeps coming out. The motor does quit running when I
stop pressing the dispenser so the water flows out as if by gravity. It
actually stops for a split-second and then comes out again. I let it run a
long time to see if a reservoir was built up somewhere, but it keeps coming
out until I turn off the water supply valve. The water comes from the wall,
goes through a brand new filter and then into the fridge. What's strange is
it wasn't doing this before.

Could something have been damaged in the move? If so what should I check
first? I have no reason to not believe the previous owner's claim of good
operation. I can't really fix the icemaker while the front door is spewing
water so I have to tackle this one first.

Thank you,
Greg - Seattle, WA.

jim

Greg Sumner wrote:

[...]

take the plastic off the front of the water dispenser and see if you can
find any troubles(trash or broken plastic around the water lever??)...
to get to it there is a plastic tray with grooves in the bottom of this
tray.. i remove mine(whirlpool) by putting my fingers in the grooves and
pulling to me(away from the refrigerator).. it comes out and then you
can see the screws on the bottonm(two) remove them and then take out the
plastic casing/trim from around the water/ice dispenser).. hope this
helps.
jeff

"Greg Sumner" wrote in message ...

Hi,

I have received second-hand a relatively new Kenmore fridge, model "22",
side-by-side with auto-ice maker and water dispenser on the freezer door.
Unknown model year, I'd say maybe 5-6 years old.

The "model#" is the one on the model/serial tag....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

At first my problem was the icemaker overflowing. I turned off the water
behind the fridge until I could look at it. I figured either the tray had
water in it already, or the timer was askew. So I removed the icemaker
housing and cleaned it out, re-inserted it, and plugged it all back in.

I also ran the water dispenser, to find a new surprise. The water flow
doesn't stop, it just keeps coming out.

The motor does quit running when I
stop pressing the dispenser so the water flows out as if by gravity.

No motor, the fill valve uses pressure differances on the entrance and
exit side of the fill valve to open and close and the house water
pressure pushes the water in/through. No motor or pump used.

Poor water pressure to the fill valve(s) could keep the fill valve
open, sticky switch in the dispensor would keep power going to the
fill valve, bad fill valve may not be 100% closing.

It
actually stops for a split-second and then comes out again. I let it run a
long time to see if a reservoir was built up somewhere, but it keeps coming
out until I turn off the water supply valve. The water comes from the wall,
goes through a brand new filter and then into the fridge. What's strange is
it wasn't doing this before.

Could something have been damaged in the move? If so what should I check
first? I have no reason to not believe the previous owner's claim of good
operation. I can't really fix the icemaker while the front door is spewing
water so I have to tackle this one first.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/