rck

Default What is switch height from floor?

All the switches in my house are 45 inches from the floor. The Black &
Decker Home Wiring book I bought says the correct switch height per code is
48 inches. Is this a critical code dimension and if so, at what height
should I put the new switch boxes, 45 or 48?

Bob

Colbyt

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
All the switches in my house are 45 inches from the floor. The Black &
Decker Home Wiring book I bought says the correct switch height per code

is
48 inches. Is this a critical code dimension and if so, at what height
should I put the new switch boxes, 45 or 48?

Bob

Match the existing wiring. Where X = top of box from floor. Even if this
is not to code it will be appreciated by you and the next owner.

Colbyt

rck

Match the existing wiring. Where X = top of box from floor. Even if
this
is not to code it will be appreciated by you and the next owner.

Colbyt

This isn't just one switch, I've added on a 200 sq. ft. adjoining room. I'd
like it to meet the code.

Bob

Greg O

--

Check with your local inspector, let him know that the existing switches are
at 45". My bet is regardless of what code is, he will let you keep them the

rck

"wayne" wrote in message
I am not quite sure where you are measuring from my 6 yr old house the top
of the plate is 46"

Wayne

Dimensions are to the center of the box.

Bob

rck

Are you saying 44 inches to the center of the box is the code?

Bob

"wayne" wrote in message
center would be 44!

Wayne

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...

"wayne" wrote in message
I am not quite sure where you are measuring from my 6 yr old house the

top
of the plate is 46"

Wayne

Dimensions are to the center of the box.

Bob

Tom Baker

"wayne" wrote in message
center would be 44!

Wayne

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...

"wayne" wrote in message
I am not quite sure where you are measuring from my 6 yr old house the

top
of the plate is 46"

Wayne

Dimensions are to the center of the box.

Bob

International Residential Code 2000:
E3901.6 Access. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches
shall be located to allow operation from a readily accessible
location. such devices shall be installed so that the center of the
grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in
its highest position, will not be more than 6 feet 7 inches above the
floor or working platform.

Elbow height for 95% males is 47.3 inches and for women 43.6 inches.
according to "Human Dimension & Interior Space". This is a 1979
publication and it projects these heights in 5 years: men +0.3 inches.

So, code appears not to give useful limits.

TB
rck

I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

Bob

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...

link.net...

"wayne" wrote in message
center would be 44!

Wayne

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...

"wayne" wrote in message
[...]

yar

i alwyas set the top of the sheetrock ring at 48 inches so the
sheetrocker doesnt have to cut a hole in two pieces of rock.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:48:11 GMT, "rck"
blurted forth:

"I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in
their
"homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the
height is
"determined by how tall the electrician is.
"
"Bob
"
"
""Tom Baker" wrote in message
. com...
hlink.net...
" "wayne" wrote in message
" news:q3XAc.79823$Sw.60644@attbi_s51...
" center would be 44!
"
" Wayne
"
" "rck" wrote in message
" nk.net...
"
" "wayne" wrote in message
[...]

-------------------------
Remove NO SPAM to Reply!
Add yar where NO SPAM was!
Pop Rivet

Jeez, FINALLY someone answered this guy's question! I was
betting it would be ignored in the ensuing crapfest,
interesting as it was g
[...]

To the contrary: It states the maximum height of a switch
install. I -think- there are a couple of other relevant
paragraphs too, but basically this says what everyone else
has been trying to say without admitting that they didn't
know. Of course, then there are always local codes to be
considered; which is the FIRST place to check; it only takes
a phone cal to the Code Enforcement Office/rl.
I always find this sort of thread to be tres amusing!

Pop

John Grabowski

To my knowledge, the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) does not specify
height requirements for general use residential switches and receptacles.
However other codes in your jurisdiction may apply. For instance,
California has a handicap code which determines the height of residential
switches (40" center I think) and receptacles (12" center I think). For
clarification your best bet is to speak to the person who will say yea or
nay; your locality's electrical inspector.

Incidentially, the International Residential Code is not a nationally
approved code that has been adopted by few (If any) jurisdictions. In fact
the National Electrical Contractors Association is fighting its
implementation because of its lack of safety and wiring standards. It is a
vague attempt by another organization to compete with NFPA 70, but cannot
utilize the same language since NFPA 70 is a copyrighted work.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
All the switches in my house are 45 inches from the floor. The Black &
Decker Home Wiring book I bought says the correct switch height per code

is
48 inches. Is this a critical code dimension and if so, at what height
should I put the new switch boxes, 45 or 48?

Bob

rck

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
et...
For
clarification your best bet is to speak to the person who will say yea or
nay; your locality's electrical inspector.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

No inspections, no permits for remodeling out here in the rural part of
the county. I simply wanted to do the job the way it should be done where
codes must be followed. Before you jump to the conclusion that we are
really backward, permits and inspections are required for new homes, but not
required for new outhouses if there is a light in it.

Bob

Jake

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
et...
To my knowledge, the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) does not specify
height requirements for general use residential switches and receptacles.

John,

As I remember the NEC does say something about 6 feet, 7 inches or lower...
like that matters here. I think the cite is 380-8, but that's just going
from memory. Heck, I'm just exercising my memory, anyhow. I think the code
said something like "Switches (and Circuit Breakers used as Switches) shall
be located so that they can be operated from an accessible place" or some
such.

Jake

spat

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:55:28 GMT, "rck"
wrote:

All the switches in my house are 45 inches from the floor. The Black &
Decker Home Wiring book I bought says the correct switch height per code is
48 inches. Is this a critical code dimension and if so, at what height
should I put the new switch boxes, 45 or 48?

Bob

as an electricians helper for 3 years we set the top of the box at 45"
in most cases. some special aplications warrented different but never
had an inspection turned down regardless of switch location. not a bad
idea to check local codes but if you dont require an inspection I
recomend keeping the same hieght throughout the house.
Adam

"yar" wrote in message
i alwyas set the top of the sheetrock ring at 48 inches so the
sheetrocker doesnt have to cut a hole in two pieces of rock.

what if you have less than 8 ft. ceiling height
kinda kills your theory.

John Grabowski

Jake you are correct, but the code reference is 404.8 Acessibility and
Grouping of Switches. ..."They shall be installed so that the center of the
grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when it is in
its highest position, is not more than 2.0M (6 ft. 7 in.) above the floor or
working platform".

Article 380 deals with Multioutlet Assemblies.

Thanks for the clarification.

John G.

"Jake" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
et...
To my knowledge, the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) does not specify
height requirements for general use residential switches and

receptacles.

John,

As I remember the NEC does say something about 6 feet, 7 inches or

lower...
like that matters here. I think the cite is 380-8, but that's just going
from memory. Heck, I'm just exercising my memory, anyhow. I think the code
said something like "Switches (and Circuit Breakers used as Switches)

shall
be located so that they can be operated from an accessible place" or some
such.

Jake

Jeff Wisnia

rck wrote:
I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

There must be a similar determination used when setting the heights of
shower heads.

In my road warrior days I used to get annoyed at hotel shower heads
which were set so low that I'd bump my head on them. (I'm only 6'-1" tall.)

Somebody on a hotel's staff gave me an excuse having something to do
with some ladies' desires to shower without getting their hair wet.

That sounded like Bullplop to me. Hey lady, wear a shower cap!

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

volts500

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height

is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

Bob

Or whether or not the electrician likes spending time digging dried drywall
mud out of switch boxes when he is trimming out. Mounting the (top of) the
box 2 or 3 inches below where the drywall seam will be helps prevent that
hassle and also allows the drywaller to make a clean cut. AMA guideline is
no higher than 48" to the top, though. Actually, I believe that the
measurement
is to the top the switch in the "up" position, so a box mounted at
49.5" to the top would be max. since the top of the switch in the "up"
position is about 1.5" below the top of the box.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

rck ) said...

I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

As there is no firm code on this, you have to go with what is comfortable
for use. In the house we just built, we created an "outlet stick" from a
piece of 1x2 (actually, it was a 3/8" thick piece ripped from a 2x6, but
you get the picture!) with top and bottom markings for different
outlet/switch heights:

Outlets - centre at 19 1/2"
Switches - centre at 50 1/2"
Counter/backsplash switches/outlets - centre at 42"

Three other heights were found to be needed as well:

Central vac outlets - centred at 26"
Thermostats - centred at 62"
Desk (desk-height counter) - centre at 33 1/2"

The stick was used to position boxes for installation relative to the
unfinished subfloor, so finished heights vary from 1/2" lower to 1 1/2"
lower, depending on floor finish.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon