rck

Default What is switch height from floor?

I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

Bob

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...
"rck" wrote in message

link.net...
Are you saying 44 inches to the center of the box is the code?

Bob

"wayne" wrote in message
center would be 44!

Wayne

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...

"wayne" wrote in message
I am not quite sure where you are measuring from my 6 yr old house

the
top
of the plate is 46"

Wayne

Dimensions are to the center of the box.

Bob

International Residential Code 2000:
E3901.6 Access. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches
shall be located to allow operation from a readily accessible
location. such devices shall be installed so that the center of the
grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in
its highest position, will not be more than 6 feet 7 inches above the
floor or working platform.

Elbow height for 95% males is 47.3 inches and for women 43.6 inches.
according to "Human Dimension & Interior Space". This is a 1979
publication and it projects these heights in 5 years: men +0.3 inches.

So, code appears not to give useful limits.

TB