Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default What is switch height from floor?

rck ) said...

I've e-mailed all my friends and asked them to measure the height in their
homes. Answers range from 44 inches to 49.5 inches. Apparently the height is
determined by how tall the electrician is.

As there is no firm code on this, you have to go with what is comfortable
for use. In the house we just built, we created an "outlet stick" from a
piece of 1x2 (actually, it was a 3/8" thick piece ripped from a 2x6, but
you get the picture!) with top and bottom markings for different
outlet/switch heights:

Outlets - centre at 19 1/2"
Switches - centre at 50 1/2"
Counter/backsplash switches/outlets - centre at 42"

Three other heights were found to be needed as well:

Central vac outlets - centred at 26"
Thermostats - centred at 62"
Desk (desk-height counter) - centre at 33 1/2"

The stick was used to position boxes for installation relative to the
unfinished subfloor, so finished heights vary from 1/2" lower to 1 1/2"
lower, depending on floor finish.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon