John Grabowski

Default What is switch height from floor?

To my knowledge, the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) does not specify
height requirements for general use residential switches and receptacles.
However other codes in your jurisdiction may apply. For instance,
California has a handicap code which determines the height of residential
switches (40" center I think) and receptacles (12" center I think). For
clarification your best bet is to speak to the person who will say yea or
nay; your locality's electrical inspector.

Incidentially, the International Residential Code is not a nationally
approved code that has been adopted by few (If any) jurisdictions. In fact
the National Electrical Contractors Association is fighting its
implementation because of its lack of safety and wiring standards. It is a
vague attempt by another organization to compete with NFPA 70, but cannot
utilize the same language since NFPA 70 is a copyrighted work.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
All the switches in my house are 45 inches from the floor. The Black &
Decker Home Wiring book I bought says the correct switch height per code

is
48 inches. Is this a critical code dimension and if so, at what height
should I put the new switch boxes, 45 or 48?

Bob