Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT cars; tread depth

As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2017 4:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

The width of the tire and solid rubber make for great traction on race
cars because the entire tire is in contact with the pavement. Therefore,
I would think the same for regular cars if the hypothetical of never
raining or snowing were to exist. Though, one couldn't simple rely on a
bald tire due to the reduced thickness. The tire would heat up and
eventually blow. It would require added layers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/17 3:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Nails and such on the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2017 4:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Ever see those cars in the rain? They stop the race because they slide
all over the track. The tread is designed to channel the water away so
the tread hits the road. Thus the reason for wear bars as at that point
the tire will not work as well.

BTW, I've been traveling the past 10 days and at one stop I had a bee in
the car. Landlady was right, it can happen every 50 years or so. Got
it out before we drove off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 May 2017 06:15:47 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 5/8/17 3:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Nails and such on the road.

Sand on the road, oil on the road, dew on the road - all kinds of
reasons NOT to run slicks (including heat and wear)

As for 20 inchers, it's all "eye candy" if you are not on the track.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 May 2017 07:32:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/8/2017 4:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Ever see those cars in the rain? They stop the race because they slide
all over the track. The tread is designed to channel the water away so
the tread hits the road. Thus the reason for wear bars as at that point
the tire will not work as well.

BTW, I've been traveling the past 10 days and at one stop I had a bee in
the car. Landlady was right, it can happen every 50 years or so. Got
it out before we drove off.

LOL I don't know whether to tell her about this or not. She also
doesn't want me to leave a bottle of water on the carpet or the
ceramic tile; she took me to dinner at her son's restaurant but was
telling me how I'd appreciate it more than the rental company if I'd
dust my dashboard. I hadn't even noticed the dust.

Today I stepped into the bathtub with one foot with my sneaker on to
see if the one-handle faucet can be disassembled, and she came home
and said I should have put a towel in the bathtub before I stepped in
it. It's true that I walk around outside with my shoes on, but even
if I took a bath with the invisible amount of dirt that got left in
the tub, it wouldnt' bother me. Or if I coudl see it, I might wipe
it up.

A couple days ago she noticed I was barefoot. She said, Don't you
wear something like these" (and she pointed to the things I hate that
she was wearing, rubber sandals with a thick rubber thing between the
big toe and the next one. (the index toe?). I said No. She said,
Didn't you bring them with you? No. When you're home, do you go
barefoot? Yes. Just say, I"d rather you didn't go
barefoot. Instead she interrogates me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2017 7:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/8/2017 4:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear bars, but not
too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Ever see those cars in the rain? They stop the race because they slide
all over the track. The tread is designed to channel the water away so
the tread hits the road. Thus the reason for wear bars as at that point
the tire will not work as well.

BTW, I've been traveling the past 10 days and at one stop I had a bee in
the car. Landlady was right, it can happen every 50 years or so. Got
it out before we drove off.

He used a hypothetical situation of no rain or snow. Play along.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 May 2017 14:04:15 -0500, "ChairMan"

wrote:

On 5/8/17 3:16 AM, Micky wrote:
As I said before, my rental has more tread than the wear
bars, but
not too much more.

But... If it never snows and it never rains does it
matter how much
tread the tires have?

Don't race cars use slicks, for better traction?

Nails and such on the road.

Sand on the road, oil on the road, dew on the road - all
kinds of
reasons NOT to run slicks (including heat and wear)

As for 20 inchers, it's all "eye candy" if you are not on
the track.

not to mention "slicks" aren't street legal. To be totally
legal, the tires have to be DOT approved

And there ARE DOT approved "slicks". But I wouldn't want them on a
daily driver for MANY reasons

Batten depth v Insulation depth js.b1 UK diy 4 June 10th 10 11:51 PM
OT -- Small Cars Are Dangerous Cars - Fuel economy zealots can kill you Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 50 May 2nd 09 06:59 AM
Minimum tread depth Arthur 51 UK diy 4 July 9th 07 07:26 PM
Slate tile staircase. Riser over tread or tread over riser. Oughtsix Home Repair 3 October 10th 06 06:55 PM
supporting a new tile floor- plywood depth, backer board depth? K Ruck Home Repair 7 July 3rd 05 08:16 PM