Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideal temp for freezer?

I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 4:52:40 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

Your answer is here. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://duckduckgo.com/

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2017 5:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

0 is considered the best temperature. You won't save much by increasing
it and at higher temperatures food won't keep as well.

If you are considering keeping stuff for long periods, consider a vacuum
sealer to prevent freezer burn. I've had meat for three years when
vacuum sealed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 6:48:43 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/27/2017 5:52 PM, Thomas wrote:

I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

0 is considered the best temperature. You won't save much by increasing
it and at higher temperatures food won't keep as well.

I just checked mine a few minutes ago and the temperature is
registering at -10°F.

If you are considering keeping stuff for long periods, consider a vacuum
sealer to prevent freezer burn. I've had meat for three years when
vacuum sealed.

I've got a vacuum sealer, too, and they are great for anything
you want to keep freezer burn-free and for a long period of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 14:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

Set the freezer temperature so icecream isn't really hard and can be
spooned fairly easily. This is the optimum freezer temperature.

Thermometers rarely give reliable readings at freezer tempertures,
whereas the ice-cream method sets the freezer temperature just right.

If you have the freezer running 5 Centigrade too cool it is just the
same as having the freezer running at the correct temperature but in a
room 5C hotter than it actually is, which will make the freezer use
quite a bit more energy in percentage terms - maybe even double the
energy consumption over what it could be if set correctly.

Ross

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 5:52:40 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

older fridge, will jack up your electric bill a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

Set the freezer temperature so icecream isn't really hard and can be
spooned fairly easily. This is the optimum freezer temperature.

Ross

Oh really? It might be the optimum for you but you really want
frozen meats at the temperature that ice cream can easily be scooped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero
for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save
noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

24 hour test would tell how warm it gets with defrost cycle. Measure on
top.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you
put water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2017 6:01 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 4/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you put
water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

Yes, if there's a lot of air in the freezer, when you open the door, a
lot of cold air will fall out at the bottom, replaced by room air at the
top. BTW, I have a 45 year old working freezer and was wondering if
replacing it with a new higher efficiency unit would be worth it. So I
picked a warm summer week and put the Kill-a-Watt unit on it. Turns
out, it would take many years to pay for a new freezer with the savings
on electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2017 8:27 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you put
water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

Yes, if there's a lot of air in the freezer, when you open the door, a
lot of cold air will fall out at the bottom, replaced by room air at the
top. BTW, I have a 45 year old working freezer and was wondering if
replacing it with a new higher efficiency unit would be worth it. So I
picked a warm summer week and put the Kill-a-Watt unit on it. Turns
out, it would take many years to pay for a new freezer with the savings
on electricity.

I replaced an old 14 cu ft fridge with a new 18 cu ft and payback was 4
years for $400 I paid for it. It is a second fridge and the base model.
If you get a newer one with all the goodies the payback is very long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you replace an upright freezer with a chest one, you will find that the payback will be much shorter with a new efficient one. Not only are the chest ones more efficient (they don't lose the cold air when opened), but there will be less freezer burn as there will be little variation in temp.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have the freezer running 5 Centigrade too cool it is just the
same as having the freezer running at the correct temperature but in a
room 5C hotter than it actually is, which will make the freezer use
quite a bit more energy in percentage terms - maybe even double the
energy consumption over what it could be if set correctly.

Ross

first part is true

second part is not

energy used is about proportional to the DIFFERENCE in temperature outside inside

to double the energy usage, you would have to double the temperature delta.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:52:35 -0400, burfordTjustice
wrote:

older fridge, will jack up your electric bill a lot.

Pure nonsense!

That really depends on the condition more than purely the age unless
this freezer/fridge is like the one in "the Honeymooners". One tip, if
it trips a GFCI, it is costing you money.That is a partial short to
ground in the compressor from damaged insulation in the windings,
wasting energy in 2 ways (lower compressor efficiency and extra heat
energy wasted in the short).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27/04/2017 22:52, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

Here in the UK -18C is the recommended 'ideal' temperature for a freezer.

That's 0 degrees Fahrenheit (more or less!)

HTH

--
David B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message news
On 4/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you
put water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

How come none of you guys ever mention that there are no such freezer
16 sq. do not exist maybe 16 CUBIC FEET but not square feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you
put water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

How come none of you guys ever mention that there are no such freezer
16 sq. do not exist maybe 16 CUBIC FEET but not square feet.

OP posted "qf", which we all understood to mean qubic feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 05:01:27 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you
put water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

....and empty freezer does have to work harder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 08:27:52 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

Yes, if there's a lot of air in the freezer, when you open the door, a
lot of cold air will fall out at the bottom, replaced by room air at the
top. BTW, I have a 45 year old working freezer and was wondering if
replacing it with a new higher efficiency unit would be worth it. So I
picked a warm summer week and put the Kill-a-Watt unit on it. Turns
out, it would take many years to pay for a new freezer with the savings
on electricity.

The first owner left an upright freezer here when I bought the house.
In ~13 years I spent $51 to put a cap and starter gadget (five minute
repair) in it. Still doing fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 10:33:57 -0700, "Tony944"
wrote:

How come none of you guys ever mention that there are no such freezer
16 sq. do not exist maybe 16 CUBIC FEET but not square feet.

We were waiting on you to get our minds right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 11:54:02 -0700, Oren wrote:

milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

...and empty freezer does have to work harder

... when you open it.
Closed, no difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/27/2017 11:48 PM, RMD wrote:

[snip]

Set the freezer temperature so icecream isn't really hard and can be
spooned fairly easily.

And you can eat it without getting a headache.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins"
are invented nonsense." Robert A. Heinlein. Contributed by Larry Reyka.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/28/2017 05:01 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you put
water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

My grandmother often made homemade ice cream (which requires a lot of
ice). She never bought ice, but froze water in old milk jugs in
otherwise unused freezer space.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins"
are invented nonsense." Robert A. Heinlein. Contributed by Larry Reyka.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/28/2017 12:40 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

[snip]

How come none of you guys ever mention that there are no such freezer
16 sq. do not exist maybe 16 CUBIC FEET but not square feet.

OP posted "qf", which we all understood to mean qubic feet.

That's what I thought. I never even considered "square feet".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins"
are invented nonsense." Robert A. Heinlein. Contributed by Larry Reyka.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Apr 2017 21:08:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 04/28/2017 05:01 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

[snip]

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you put
water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

My grandmother often made homemade ice cream (which requires a lot of
ice). She never bought ice, but froze water in old milk jugs in
otherwise unused freezer space.

Going into hurricane season it is common to stuff your freezer with
half liter water bottles. It is ice and when it thaws out it is
drinking water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at zero
for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f would save
noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

24 hour test would tell how warm it gets with defrost cycle. Measure on
top.

Greg

I put a temp logger on a couple fridges with freezers. Refrigerator held
better than freezer. Temp was up in 20s after defrost cycle, set on 0 F. If
it was set at 10, could be a problem.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/17 4:52 PM, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

I've been told for years to keep such things full. Even if you
put water filled
milk jugs in it the mass will keep the freezer from running as much.

How come none of you guys ever mention that there are no such freezer
16 sq. do not exist maybe 16 CUBIC FEET but not square feet.

I've installed and serviced freezers that were 16sq feet or larger. They're called,"Walk In Freezers" and you will find them at many large restaurants and food processing facilities. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frozen Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:11:35 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 29 Apr 2017 12:38:19a, gregz told us...

gregz wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady
at zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask
if 10f would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a
gibson? Is 10f as good as zero?

24 hour test would tell how warm it gets with defrost cycle.
Measure on top.

Greg

I put a temp logger on a couple fridges with freezers.
Refrigerator held better than freezer. Temp was up in 20s after
defrost cycle, set on 0 F. If it was set at 10, could be a
problem.

Greg

IF the OP is looking for a way to save money by operating a freezer
at temperatures above 0° F., then they would best investigate the
food safety guidelines and consider the negative effect of raising
the temperature above 0° F. You would be sacrificing the quality of
your frozen food, perhaps even losing it, if stored above recommended
temperatures.

The vast majority of refrigerator/freezers were ideally designed for
the refrigerator secctin to maintain a temperature of 38-40° F., and
the freezer section to maintain a temperature of 0° F.

Self-defrosting refrigerator/freezers rarely if ever can maintain
constant temperatures in either section because the defrost cycle
itself raises the temperature when it's running. Deliberately
setting the temperature at higher than recommened settings is just
asking for trouble.

In an ideal situation, a standalone freezer that does _not_ have a
self-defrost cycle can usually be adjusted to maintain a temprature
as low as -10 to -20° F. The values are even more stable when the
unit is a chest freezer than an upright freezer. The lowest possible
temperature that you can maintain will maintain all frozen foods for
a much longer period of time.

I keep a thermometer with a probe in my side by side fridge freezers
and it is amazing how much swing there is in air. If you put some mass
in there you can get an average temp (bottle of water).
To maintain an average of 0F it will swing 10 degrees either way but
+10F should still be cold enough to keep your stuff reliably frozen
assuming it might actually be worse with the door open. Theoretically
+31 would do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2017 1:02 PM, David B. wrote:
On 27/04/2017 22:52, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

Here in the UK -18C is the recommended 'ideal' temperature for a freezer.

That's 0 degrees Fahrenheit (more or less!)

HTH

I recall about the same in USA for freezer chest. For frost free
refrigerator freezer section, closer to freezing point of water because
of frost free cycling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29/04/2017 18:19, Frank wrote:
On 4/28/2017 1:02 PM, David B. wrote:
On 27/04/2017 22:52, Thomas wrote:
I aquired an older standup 16 qf freezer. I have the temp steady at
zero for a few weeks. I did not get an elec bill yet but ask if 10f
would save noticable cash. No numbers to give. Maybe a gibson? Is 10f
as good as zero?

Here in the UK -18C is the recommended 'ideal' temperature for a freezer.

That's 0 degrees Fahrenheit (more or less!)

HTH

I recall about the same in USA for freezer chest. For frost free
refrigerator freezer section, closer to freezing point of water because
of frost free cycling.

The fridge I have on my narrowboat has a small freezer section within
it. I think you are probably correct when suggesting that the operating
temperature of THAT freezer section is probably just a little under 0
degrees Celsius (32F). Frozen food isn't stored there for very long!

--
David B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Op here. I moved it to 10f still waiting for a bill. What sucks is it is time to turn on the ac. Ill still get a feel if the bill is extreme and will post back when i get the bill. Thanks to all who responded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Op here. So i got the bill. Using ac and the freezer it went up 5 bucks. Im happy with that.