Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideal W2000 Boiler not triggering when temp drops

Hi, This boiler is not firing up when the temperature drops on the room
thermostat. It is an intermitent fault and seems to happen more in the
middle of the night. To fix it I have been turning the power off and on
at the wall. After this it immediately fires up again. Can you advise
what it might be and any further problem determination I can do to try
and narrow down the problem before I call an engineer.
The boiler is about 15 years old. Since I've been using it for the last
6 years it has had this problem. Though it used to only happen once a
month it is now more of a daily occurence. I had it serviced 2 years
ago but as the problem was not demonstratable the engineer said he
couldn't look at it.
Your advice is appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:47:54 -0800, clairol wrote:

Hi, This boiler is not firing up when the temperature drops on the room
thermostat. It is an intermitent fault and seems to happen more in the
middle of the night. To fix it I have been turning the power off and on
at the wall. After this it immediately fires up again. Can you advise
what it might be and any further problem determination I can do to try
and narrow down the problem before I call an engineer.
The boiler is about 15 years old. Since I've been using it for the last
6 years it has had this problem. Though it used to only happen once a
month it is now more of a daily occurence. I had it serviced 2 years
ago but as the problem was not demonstratable the engineer said he
couldn't look at it.
Your advice is appreciated.

You first need to determine whether the fault is external to the boiler or
not.

To do this I would attached something electrical to the boiler's input and
then wait for a "problem".

IIRC this is a very simple low tech boiler. It could have a sticking gas
valve maybe.