Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Freezer freezes, but fridge temp is too high....

Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge?
Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats -- "regular" white
fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge compartment.
I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: can there be a more serious problem if the freezer
part is fine, but the fridge part is not?
Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be sucked down,
recharged, etc. to replace the valve?
Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

tia
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

The top freezers typically do all the cooling in the freezer
part. A small fan blows air into the fridge. Sounds like
you've either got a fan problem, or defrost problem. Both
are repairable cheaper than replacing the fridge.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge?
Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats --
"regular" white
fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge
compartment.
I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: can there be a more serious problem
if the freezer
part is fine, but the fridge part is not?
Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be
sucked down,
recharged, etc. to replace the valve?
Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

tia
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

The top freezers typically do all the cooling in the freezer
part. A small fan blows air into the fridge. Sounds like
you've either got a fan problem, or defrost problem. Both
are repairable cheaper than replacing the fridge.

The two most common problems are ice in the transfer duct, or pushing food
up against the outlet of the duct, so no air flow can occur between the
freezer and fridge compartments. That, also, will eventually cause the
duct to ice up.

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 8:05*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley :

The top freezers typically do all the cooling in the freezer
part. A small fan blows air into the fridge. Sounds like
you've either got a fan problem, or defrost problem. Both
are repairable cheaper than replacing the fridge.

The two most common problems are ice in the transfer duct, or pushing food
up against the outlet of the duct, so no air flow can occur between the
freezer and fridge compartments. *That, also, will eventually cause the
duct to ice up.

LLoyd

What everyone else said, get an insulated chest, put food in there or
at a neighbors, keep the doors wide open while unplugged, let the
refrigerator and freeezer and inside the walls thaw out, and then
pretend you have a brand new refrigerator. This works for at least
95% of the problem cases reported here.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge?
Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats -- "regular" white
fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge compartment.
I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: can there be a more serious problem if the freezer
part is fine, but the fridge part is not?
Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be sucked down,
recharged, etc. to replace the valve?
Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

tia

Hi,
Is the fan running inside? The one circulating cold air.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Can't say as I've seen either of those. My two most common,
as stated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
in message
. 3.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired
this volley in
:

The top freezers typically do all the cooling in the
freezer
part. A small fan blows air into the fridge. Sounds like
you've either got a fan problem, or defrost problem. Both
are repairable cheaper than replacing the fridge.

The two most common problems are ice in the transfer duct,
or pushing food
up against the outlet of the duct, so no air flow can occur
between the
freezer and fridge compartments. That, also, will
eventually cause the
duct to ice up.

LLoyd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Won't help if the fan is dead. Only provide a couple days
relief if it's a defrost problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message

get an insulated chest, put food in there or
at a neighbors, keep the doors wide open while unplugged,
let the
refrigerator and freeezer and inside the walls thaw out, and
then
pretend you have a brand new refrigerator. This works for
at least
95% of the problem cases reported here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge?
Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats -- "regular" white
fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge compartment.
I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: can there be a more serious problem if the freezer
part is fine, but the fridge part is not?
Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be sucked down,
recharged, etc. to replace the valve?
Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

Solved the problem posted: Found the fan, it works, just ice blockage.
Boucou thanks for the clarifications..

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune, but it turns out
Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that it's on its way
to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major fight..... goodgawd.... you
lose fer winnin....
--
EA

tia
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" fired this volley in
:

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune, but it
turns out Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that
it's on its way to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major
fight..... goodgawd.... you lose fer winnin....

new beer cooler!

LLoyd
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 4:55*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
[...]

How old is the one you have? A new one may pay for itself pretty
quick (couple years) through energy efficiency. I was on the opposite
side of that argument - tired of fixing the circa 1964 refrigerator
and wanting to get a new one - and found info online to help convince
the wife that a new one would use *way* less electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

I'd look for a blocked vent in the fridge section.

Possible, but a dead evap fan will give the same problem. I've replaced a
few over the years.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
[...]

Good point. It's old, at LEAST 16 y.o, proly 20++ . Frost free.
Looks newer, tho, none of the "rounded corners/edges" of the really old
stuff.
We are proly going to replace it sooner or later, just hopefully not
tomorrow or next week.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 22, 1:55*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:
Awl --

Quick fix, or time for a new fridge?
Oh, not solid state, with separate freezer/fridge stats -- "regular" white
fridge, freezer on top, wheel thermostat in fridge compartment.
I spose one poss. is the 'stat is just stuck.

I guess the real Q is: *can there be a more serious problem if the freezer
part is fine, but the fridge part is not?
Some bad valve or sumpn, so that the whole thing needs to be sucked down,
recharged, etc. to replace the valve?
Dats a "get a new fridge" scenario, I would think.

tia
--
EA

either the fan is broke or the defrost timer?

usually, the timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

What caused the ice blockage?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Solved the problem posted: Found the fan, it works, just
ice blockage.
Boucou thanks for the clarifications..

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune,
but it turns out
Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that
it's on its way
to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major fight.....
goodgawd.... you
lose fer winnin....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm looking at a fridge, tomorrow. She let it go
three weeks plus, without saying anything. It's
likely dead beyond dead, now. I can use another
fridge to drop in. I'm guessing you're too far to
drive?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Good point. It's old, at LEAST 16 y.o, proly
20++ . Frost free. Looks newer, tho, none of
the "rounded corners/edges" of the really old
stuff.

We are proly going to replace it sooner or
later, just hopefully not tomorrow or next
week.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
What caused the ice blockage?

Dat was going to be my next Q.

There is a hose that leads to the outside, obviously a drain of sorts.
The water is apparently freezing before it drains.

Turns out there is a baffle between the fan and the "scoop" that directs the
air down to fridge part, through a relatively small orifice. That baffle is
adjustable, so you can adjust the temp to the fridge via this adjustable
wing, as well as via the thermostat.
Mebbe if I set it for more air to the fridge, and then lower the thermostat
some, I'll get a better balance, and stop the ice dam-ing effect.

This is the first time this has happened in years, might be due to the
super-hot humid weather we had for so long in the NE.
--
EA

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Solved the problem posted: Found the fan, it works, just
ice blockage.
Boucou thanks for the clarifications..

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune,
but it turns out
Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that
it's on its way
to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major fight.....
goodgawd.... you
lose fer winnin....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

More likely, the drain is clogged. The water ponds, then
freezes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

(...)

Now, normally I could have said, Y'all saved me a fortune, but it turns out
Le Wife wanted to get rid of this fridge anyway, so now that it's on its way
to getting fixed, I'm in the midst of a major fight..... goodgawd.... you
lose fer winnin....

Gaaah! Noooo!

The new Maytag, Amana fridges are absolute crap!
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/amana.htm
Hang on to your functional fridge as long
as you can!

--Winston