KJ1

Default Sears For Central Air Conditioner

Hello all,

I am new to this group and a new homeowner of a new-build home.

I am looking at 3 different contral air contractors. One is Sears (they
sub-contract).

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with Sears on getting repairs
done in a timely manner or bad installation resolution?

The reason I ask is because when I first looked for the inf. online to get
to Sears for C/A, one of the first things to come up on google was a
complaint dept. The people had some complaints of bad installation and
taking a long time to get it fixed, also getting the machines fixed in
general.

At this point, I see one more contractor on Mon. but would really like to go
with Sears because of the name brand and the salesguy was an installer
himself, his review of my home matched the 2nd (independent) contractor's
almost exactly.

There is that nagging concern, since I saw the complaint website, so if
anyone can offer experiences, good or bad, please let me know.

Another question, the independent contractor said that he wanted to use a
unit that will have r-22 (freon) and showed me a chart where the stuff will
be OK to be available (just no manufactured for freon products) in case I
would ever need to put some in for the next 25 years. The Sears guy wanted
to go with the puron, and I am not sure how much it really matters. Any
opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

God bless,
KJ

Special Ed

"KJ1" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am new to this group and a new homeowner of a new-build home.

I am looking at 3 different contral air contractors. One is Sears (they
sub-contract).

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with Sears on getting repairs
done in a timely manner or bad installation resolution?

snip

When I bought my current home I contacted Sears for installation of central
air. The Sears contractor came over and looked at everything and said there
would be no problem adding air to my existing furnace and was rather
aggressive in wanting me to sign a contract. I opted for a second opinion
and after appraising the situation the second contractor said he wouldn't
advise putting central air on my existing furnace. He said I had a single
speed blower that is adequate for moving hot air up out of the basement but
wasn't powerful enough for moving cold air up to the second story. He said
he used to work for Sears and this was not an uncommon practice. He said the
AC would have worked fine till the first 95+ degree day and when I would
have contacted Sears about the problem they would have responded by saying
there was nothing wrong with the initial installation and would have been
glad to sell me a new blower.

~KJPRO~

"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

Sears = ****ting installs, crappy service.

Puron = ****, not proven, cost more to repair. (has other issues too)

Find a reputible local contractor that will do a load calculation and that
can answer your questions to your satifaction.

Good Luck,

~kjpro~

CBHVAC

"KJ1" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am new to this group and a new homeowner of a new-build home.

I am looking at 3 different contral air contractors. One is Sears (they
sub-contract).

And WHY would you want to look to Sears in this case, since you can hire the
same contractor, for the same unit, for less, since Sears isnt there with a
hand out.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with Sears on getting repairs
done in a timely manner or bad installation resolution?

I LOVE SEARS! They have no idea how much money they have made me over the
years.
Seriously.

The reason I ask is because when I first looked for the inf. online to get
to Sears for C/A, one of the first things to come up on google was a
complaint dept. The people had some complaints of bad installation and
taking a long time to get it fixed, also getting the machines fixed in
general.

Thats what you get when you pay a sub, that can make more money on his own,
and do it for less, and have a 3rd party in the situation.

At this point, I see one more contractor on Mon. but would really like to

go
with Sears because of the name brand and the salesguy was an installer
himself, his review of my home matched the 2nd (independent) contractor's
almost exactly.

So? Almost exactly might be the difference in right, and almost right.

There is that nagging concern, since I saw the complaint website, so if
anyone can offer experiences, good or bad, please let me know.

Easy enough...you have a doubt already...forget that you can put it on your
Sears card....any legitimate contractor can either work out finance
arrangements that will cost you less, or take your MasterCard/Visa.

Another question, the independent contractor said that he wanted to use a
unit that will have r-22 (freon) and showed me a chart where the stuff

will
be OK to be available (just no manufactured for freon products) in case I
would ever need to put some in for the next 25 years. The Sears guy

wanted
to go with the puron, and I am not sure how much it really matters. Any
opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Google this, since its been hashed to death.
Me, personally, would and DID go with R22. I have a fairly new unit I
installed here when I bought it. I am pulling it out and installing a new
York Infinity series (if you havent looked at them, you should, its what
Carrier and Trane are looking to play catch up to) and I have a
choice...R22, or R410. I plan on going R22...and perhaps, IF and only if
R410 is THE end all to the replacements, (and right now, its not) then will
go R410 later in about 4 years.

And yes...I know you probably dont have the luxury of changing out units
every few years, but IF you are going to get one, and if you are planning on
it staying a while, it pays to look at the options on each unit. I am a
dealer for York and therefore, OF COURSE I prefer York, but I didnt pick
that brand by throwing darts at a board...I went with what I trust and like
and personally would use. But, YOU, need to look at the big 4, Carrier,
York, Trane, and Lennox, and forgetting what name is on the box, you need to
look long and hard at the installers. All the expensive equipment in the
world wont do you a damn thing if the installer inst worth the equipment.
Put simply, name means nothing, install means all....
And, Sears is NOT the best at installations....they ARE the best at
marketing...

Thank you in advance.

God bless,
KJ

Joseph Meehan

KJ1 wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to this group and a new homeowner of a new-build home.

I am looking at 3 different contral air contractors. One is Sears
(they sub-contract).

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with Sears on getting
repairs done in a timely manner or bad installation resolution?

First suggestion. Start with the contractor. Find a good one. Next
let the contractor pick the brand.

You want a brand the contractor knows is good and that he knows. There
are a lot very good brands you may not recognize and may name brands you
know well that are not all that good.

My personal experience may not be very useful, it goes back over 40
years ago. I got a Sears unit and ended up with a number of repairs. I
could do them all myself and non involved expensive parts but they were a
bother and if I had to pay labor, it would have been mighty expensive.

So find that right contractor. They may or may not be the lowest bid
but they will insist on taking a look at what you have and check the size of
the distribution system and do some measurements and calculations to
determine the size unit you need (too large is just as bad as too small) and
assure that your distribution is up to the task. If they don't do any
measurements, pass and move on to the next one.

The install has much more to do with how well it will work and how
pleased you are going to be than the name on the equipment.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

TURTLE

"KJ1" wrote in message ...
[...]

This is Turtle.

1) Leave the Sears people alone.

2A) Any warrenty work will be a week to get to it.
2B) The Sub out the units or work and just add 20% for their mark up and just pay for the unit with the subcontractor about what
the Independent dealer wanted in the first place. Just send me a check for $500.00 and I will get with a contractor to come do the
job and pay what the contractor wanted at regular price anyway.

3) The subcontractor who put it in will come back to repair it under warrenty and you will call sears to call the subcontractor to
come see. I would want to call direct to the contractor and get something done and not have to work with a third part getting
something done.

4) Right now Puron / 410-A / AZ-20 has not had time to prove it'self yet. At this time about 1 in 5 HVAC contractor will even work
on Puron system because of the added cost of all new tools. So what I'm saying here is about 80% of all contractor will not work on
your equipment if you have to change contractor. 100% of all hvac contractor will work on R-22 systems.

TURTLE

---

m Ransley

Yea you are new , new to everything.. Sears gets a cut out of " Local
Joes " or anything. Why deal with a cut off the top . Unless you are
that uncorformtable OK. But SEARS just ripped off my 83 yr old
neighbor for 780 for a 230 sink and agreed to a 300 refund
because of my invetigation. .. Trust WHO ? NOBODY stupid- tontos

American Mechanical

"~KJPRO~" wrote in message
"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.dupont.com/suva/na/usa/as...ves/index.html

Cut & Paste from Carrier.com
Carrier is the first manufacturer to develop indoor cooling products using
Puron, the chlorine-free replacement refrigerant for R-22. As companies
worldwide race to switch over to chlorine-free refrigerants, Carrier offers
the experience of having introduced the first air conditioners with an
alternative refrigerant back in 1996. Now, Carrier is expanding its line to
offer a wide range of environmentally sound products. Carrier's superior
technology enables you to begin investing in your future today with air
conditioning systems that are environmentally sound.
/Cut&Paste

I dont' like everything about it but I don't know about the concise answer
you gave above. Cost more to repair, yes.

- Robert

Find a reputible local contractor that will do a load calculation and that
can answer your questions to your satifaction.

Good Luck,

~kjpro~

CBHVAC

"American Mechanical" wrote in message
m...

"~KJPRO~" wrote in message
"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

1996..ah..good old R500...YAY!!!!!

Look where its at now...

Sorry..could not resist..

I dont' like everything about it but I don't know about the concise answer
you gave above. Cost more to repair, yes.

- Robert

Find a reputible local contractor that will do a load calculation and

that
can answer your questions to your satifaction.

Good Luck,

~kjpro~

~KJPRO~

"~KJPRO~" wrote in message
"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

Just some of the issues.......

POE oil absorbs moisture
POE oil eats through rubber products.......i.e. Roofing material
Higher pressures
96-2004...8 yrs with a limited time of in the field use......only a few top
companies using it, cuts the failure rate
Only way to get moisture out of oil, using a filter drier........then it has
to be removed later......expense
Refrigerate is more expensive
Equipment is more expensive
Equipment is larger in size........I know efficiency here too

If you'd like we can start a discussion on it in the tech group.

~kjpro~

Find a reputible local contractor that will do a load calculation and

that
can answer your questions to your satifaction.

Good Luck,

~kjpro~

TURTLE

"~KJPRO~" wrote in message
"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

I'm still got 70 pounds of it left over waiting for it to be used again. Lennox and Carrier told the world that 500 was going to do
away with 22 and we would all have very high quality proformance from 500. I put out about 30 to 40 units with this 500 in it and in
about a year and a half. Lennox sent use a letter telling us that the 500 was not a good choice and was going back to 22. They did
give us a free expanion valve to change out to go back to 22 with. I did two of them and decided to just keep 500 on hand and wait
it out.

CBHVAC has a point here and when stung once, Watch out the second time around.

Yea and another point here Lennox has pulled the 410-A off residentiual unit for futher studies but still has a few with it in them
they are selling. They must have seen a problem with some of the models with 410-A in them. I wonder if they are going try 134-A in
them like Carrier did here while back.

As far as I am concerned 410-A being the freon of choice still has the coin up in the air to decide what will be the freon of
choice. You have R-22N , 410-A, AZ-20, 134-A , 407-C, and ??? .

TURTLE

---

American Mechanical

"~KJPRO~" wrote in message
"KJ1" wrote in message
[...]

Yep - You guys are preaching to the choir. I've seen so (&(^%$ many
replacements come and go in the refrigeration realm it's getting ridiculous.
I guess my take on it is that we don't know for sure what the long term is
going to bring but I assure you no matter what the government's role in this
is going to make things more difficult and more expensive to the end user.

- Robert

---

KJ1

Default Sears For Central Air Conditioner..A REPLY TO ALL...........

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your answers. It made me think things over quite a
bit.

I decided I will not go with Sears. I cannot even find one good report on
them. What a shame.

I see the next contractor on Monday, and each time I talk to someone and
keep reading the articles I have, I get more confident and educated, I think
I will make a decent, or at least, informed choice.

As far as R-22 goes, I will go with that.

I had a private inspector for my house before I purchased it, and he refuses
to do referrals, but gives general tips on contractors. One was to go to
BBB. So I went to BBB's website and I am going to pull a few from there to
come and give an estimate.

God bless,
KJ

m Ransley

the bbbbb is a joke lady , they con the un conned, talk to neighbors
or Realtors, Bldg Managers. In 85 or so the BBB took money to
publish the BBB phone book, they got millions but never published or
refunded money , they went BBBBBBB bankrupt ..

m Ransley

OH I paid for the BBBsBsBs Phone book , which never got printed or
got any $$$$ back. Also the BBBBs must mediate your claim but cant
enforce a judgement , onl;y a court can, worthless the bbb, bs is.

KJ1

Default Central Air....Finding Good Contractors

Well Lord have mercy!!!!!

Neighbors are not really an option, as in this neighborhood, there isn't
anyone with a/c that I have seen so far. Most of the homes are owned by
older people that have done without.

I will try Realtors. Do tell, why realtors?

My A/C at my old apt. was fabulous, so I will ask the bldg. manager.

ugh!

Just venting!

Thanks again for the warning.

God bless,
KJ

"m Ransley" wrote in message
the bbbbb is a joke lady , they con the un conned, talk to neighbors
or Realtors, Bldg Managers. In 85 or so the BBB took money to
publish the BBB phone book, they got millions but never published or
refunded money , they went BBBBBBB bankrupt ..

m Ransley

Realtors manage property , often refer and need customers units
fixed to sell and see and hear first hand who is a hack or overpriced,

KJ1

ok, thanks.

God bless,
KJ

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Realtors manage property , often refer and need customers units
fixed to sell and see and hear first hand who is a hack or overpriced,

~KJPRO~

"KJ1" wrote in message
ok, thanks.

God bless,
KJ

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Realtors manage property , often refer and need customers units
fixed to sell and see and hear first hand who is a hack or overpriced,

I agree with Mark, BBB is a JOKE!!

Ask friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, who they use and if they are
happy.
See if they would use them again.

Building inspectors, code officials....

~kjpro~