Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

Default vanity drain leaking

Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:57:58 +0630, yky wrote:

Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.

Start over. Find out when the leak started and what you dud wrong,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/24/2017 09:27 PM, yky wrote:
Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe.

Mine has one big one. I've also seen sinks with three holes, and I would
imagine there are ones with four.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 12:28:01 AM UTC-5, yky wrote:
Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.

Did you put a ring of plumber's putty around the drain before
seating it in the sink? You want about a pencil size bead of
plumber's putty (not silicone, around the drain. When you
tighten it, the excess squeezes out and it seals.

IDK what you're talking about when you say "use a drain that
doesn't have the opening" (overflow opening?) I've never
seen a drain that had the overflow, it's always been a
separate part of the sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

On 25/02/2017 21:01, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 12:28:01 AM UTC-5, yky wrote:
Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.

Did you put a ring of plumber's putty around the drain before
seating it in the sink? You want about a pencil size bead of
plumber's putty (not silicone, around the drain. When you
tighten it, the excess squeezes out and it seals.

I think you are talking about the top portion of the drain, near the
stopper. I am talking about the bottom of the drain, whose end
connecting to a P trap. There is a big nut to fasten the drain to the
sink. In between the sink and the nut, there is a rubber washer and a
thin piece of metal washer (not sure if every drain has this metal washer.

The whole setup is like this: stopper/cone-shaped washer/plumber's putty
goes here/sink/1~2 inches of space/the other side of the sink/flat
washer/metal washer/nut.

The drain between the two sides of sink (the 1~2 inches of space, this
is where the overflowed water goes) has two holes so the overflowed
water can enter the hole and into the drain so that in case of overflow,
the water is drained, not overflowed onto counter top, then, onto floor.

My problem is: the metal drain from the two holes to the end is all
threaded. The flat washer doesn't go into the thread. So, the overflowed
water just leak through the thread and onto the floor.

Do I need to fill the thread? None of the instruction says so. All the
instruction says what I need to do is just firs put the rubber washer,
then the metal washer, and screw tight the big nut. Well, it always leaks.

IDK what you're talking about when you say "use a drain that
doesn't have the opening" (overflow opening?) I've never
seen a drain that had the overflow, it's always been a
separate part of the sink.

Most of the drain has two holes for overflowed water to enter the drain.
I do see some that has no holes. This type will not leak but then when
water overflows, the water will end up on the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-5, yky wrote:
[...]

K, now I understand what you're talking about. It's been awhile
since I fooled with one so IDK. IT sounds like the threads on
the pipe would have to end before going through all of the
rubber washer seal. Otherwise, I see what you're saying,
water can just follow the threads and leak out. Maybe the sink
thickness is different from what the drain part expects?
If the sink was thick enough so that the rubber had at least
part of the smooth part of the pipe in it, then this would
not happen, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Here is a diagram of what you're talking about, for everyone's
benefit:

http://removeandreplace.com/wp-conte...fication-1.jpg

It looks like this one is made to seat with the rubber at
least partly on the smooth part, not on the so that it seals.

Not sure why yours is like it is. Putting silicone on the threads
when assembling it might work though if you can't figure out
the correct solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:18:02 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

How about talking that drain to wherever you bought it and see
if they have another one that doesn't have threads extending
as far up the pipe? Or take it to a plumbing supply, see
what they have? Those are usually universal, but maybe you
have a thinner sink and a drain made for a thicker sink?
Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

On 25/02/2017 21:47, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Here is a diagram of what you're talking about, for everyone's
benefit:

http://removeandreplace.com/wp-conte...fication-1.jpg

It looks like this one is made to seat with the rubber at
least partly on the smooth part, not on the so that it seals.

Not sure why yours is like it is. Putting silicone on the threads
when assembling it might work though if you can't figure out
the correct solution.

Thanks for the diagram.

In the diagram, between the overflow holes and thread, there is some
unthreaded area. If the gasket goes to the unthreaded area, it'll not
leak. In my case, the gasket goes to the threaded area and it leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/25/2017 9:06 AM, yky wrote:

My problem is: the metal drain from the two holes to the end is all
threaded. The flat washer doesn't go into the thread. So, the overflowed
water just leak through the thread and onto the floor.

Do I need to fill the thread? None of the instruction says so. All the
instruction says what I need to do is just firs put the rubber washer,
then the metal washer, and screw tight the big nut. Well, it always leaks.

Sounds like wrong kit for the specific application; the seal for
compression fitting is never the threaded portion; if there isn't a
smooth surface for the gasket to seal against it simply isn't the
correct combination of parts for the sink/drain or combination thereof.

There can be either a compression washer around the outside of a drain
pipe section that is compressed by the nut on the connecting end or a
flat washer against a mating flat surface with a similar washer that
will also have compression or o-ring in it (altho been a long, long time
since I've seen one of those back in the early '50s).

Are these all original parts from the drain; did you by chance get a
previously-opened box or buy other pieces-parts or trying to reuse old
parts to make the connections?

Whatever, something just ain't right if there's not a place for the
compression washer to seal against; perhaps it's intended to trim the
tailpiece to proper length?

Link to OEM's datasheet for the drainset in question might help...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:46:43 AM UTC-5, yky wrote:
On 25/02/2017 21:47, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10:13:39 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

Here is a diagram of what you're talking about, for everyone's
benefit:

http://removeandreplace.com/wp-conte...fication-1.jpg

It looks like this one is made to seat with the rubber at
least partly on the smooth part, not on the so that it seals.

Not sure why yours is like it is. Putting silicone on the threads
when assembling it might work though if you can't figure out
the correct solution.

Thanks for the diagram.

In the diagram, between the overflow holes and thread, there is some
unthreaded area. If the gasket goes to the unthreaded area, it'll not
leak. In my case, the gasket goes to the threaded area and it leaks.

Agree, which sounds like the drain is made for a thicker sink
where the nut will tighten up while the seal is still on the
smooth, unthreaded part.

I'd go back and look at other ones where you bought it or
go to a plumbing supply.
Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

--

I think you are right. It's not the correct part. It comes with a new
faucet I bought. I'll just buy a new drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

On 25/02/2017 22:54, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks for the diagram.

In the diagram, between the overflow holes and thread, there is some
unthreaded area. If the gasket goes to the unthreaded area, it'll not
leak. In my case, the gasket goes to the threaded area and it leaks.

Agree, which sounds like the drain is made for a thicker sink
where the nut will tighten up while the seal is still on the
smooth, unthreaded part.

I'd go back and look at other ones where you bought it or
go to a plumbing supply.

A thinner sink, you mean? I'll try your silicone suggestion first. If
that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new (and correct) one. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The parts are your choice to use depending on the model. Toss the metal parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:28:01 PM UTC-6, yky wrote:
Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.

put plumber's putty under the flange lip. otherwise, the water seeps under the lip and down the thread and pops out on the rubber washer. the washer is there to maintain pressure pulling on the flange

Posted to alt.home.repair
yky yky is offline

On 25/02/2017 22:54, trader_4 wrote:

Agree, which sounds like the drain is made for a thicker sink
where the nut will tighten up while the seal is still on the
smooth, unthreaded part.

I'd go back and look at other ones where you bought it or
go to a plumbing supply.

I filled the thread with silicone, wrapped it with teflon tape, screwed
the nut in place. It worked. No more leaking.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/25/2017 5:31 PM, yky wrote:

I think you are right. It's not the correct part. It comes with a new
faucet I bought. I'll just buy a new drain.

After reading your earlier post, I think we were talking two different
issues...I was "underneath the impression" it was the tailpipe
compression nut but I think I now understand you're talking about the
jamb nut under the bowl that holds it mechanically in place.

If so, that is _NOT_ a water seal; the problem if it is leaking there
isn't the nut/washer, it's that you either don't have enough plumbers
putty to make a full seal or the drain flange isn't seating in the bowl
opening properly or it's got a bend or something wrong with it or
there's an imperfection in the bowl itself.

There should never be any water on the underside of the bowl itself that
has a chance to come out at that location; if there is, the fault is in
the seal between the drainset at the top and the bowl opening, _NOT_ in
the connection at the bottom side which is mechanical ONLY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 6:33:36 PM UTC-5, yky wrote:
On 25/02/2017 22:54, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks for the diagram.

In the diagram, between the overflow holes and thread, there is some
unthreaded area. If the gasket goes to the unthreaded area, it'll not
leak. In my case, the gasket goes to the threaded area and it leaks.

Agree, which sounds like the drain is made for a thicker sink
where the nut will tighten up while the seal is still on the
smooth, unthreaded part.

I'd go back and look at other ones where you bought it or
go to a plumbing supply.

A thinner sink, you mean?

Yes, that's right, I had it reversed.

I'll try your silicone suggestion first. If
that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new (and correct) one. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 11:12:32 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 02/25/2017 5:31 PM, yky wrote:

I think you are right. It's not the correct part. It comes with a new
faucet I bought. I'll just buy a new drain.

After reading your earlier post, I think we were talking two different
issues...I was "underneath the impression" it was the tailpipe
compression nut but I think I now understand you're talking about the
jamb nut under the bowl that holds it mechanically in place.

If so, that is _NOT_ a water seal; the problem if it is leaking there
isn't the nut/washer, it's that you either don't have enough plumbers
putty to make a full seal

It is a water seal. Look at the link to a diagram that I
posted. A typical sink has two drain paths, one that you're
talking about from the bowl that the water usually goes down.
The other is from inside the sink, between it's inner and outer
layers, whereby the overflow is routed. The sink drain has
holes in it so that it's open in that gap inside the sink,
below the hole, so that the overflow water can run into it.

What he has is a situation where the drain pipe has threads
for the nut going too far up the pipe, so that when it's
tight, some portion of the threads at the top are in that
gap area, where there is water, even if the sink isn't
overflowing. Water then follows the threads, gets passed
the rubber seal under the sink and leaks.

or the drain flange isn't seating in the bowl
opening properly or it's got a bend or something wrong with it or
there's an imperfection in the bowl itself.

There should never be any water on the underside of the bowl itself that
has a chance to come out at that location; if there is, the fault is in
the seal between the drainset at the top and the bowl opening, _NOT_ in
the connection at the bottom side which is mechanical ONLY.

--

Not true, per above. I made that mistake initially too, but
when looking at the diagram and thinking about it, I see
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 11:08:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:28:01 PM UTC-6, yky wrote:
Vanity sink drain usually has two openings for overflow water to go into
the drain pipe. What prevents the water from going down (leaking)
through the thread?

I just installed a new drain and it's leaking. I figure it is the water
going down the thread. Maybe I should use a drain that doesn't have the
opening but the sink does have an overflow hole.

put plumber's putty under the flange lip. otherwise, the water seeps under the lip and down the thread and pops out on the rubber washer. the washer is there to maintain pressure pulling on the flange

It's also a water seal. Take a look at the diagram in the link
I provided. Water doesn't just come from the main drain, in
most sinks it comes from the area between the inside of the sink
and the outside, whereby the overflow water routes. To intercept
that water, that drain piece that is sealed with plumbers putts
at the inner sink surface, had HOLES in it just below to allow
overflow water in. If the rubber seal below the sink doesn't
seal, water leaks out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:27:38 -0800 (PST)
trader_4 wrote:

It is a water seal. Look at the link to a diagram that I
posted. A typical sink has two drain paths, one that you're
talking about from the bowl that the water usually goes down.
The other is from inside the sink, between it's inner and outer
layers, whereby the overflow is routed. The sink drain has
holes in it so that it's open in that gap inside the sink,
below the hole, so that the overflow water can run into it.

Copy of another post....WTF??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:22:19 -0800 (PST)
trader_4 wrote:

Yes, that's right, I had it reversed.

Typical run mouth without getting things factual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

Yes, that's right, I had it reversed.

Typical run mouth without getting things factual.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/26/2017 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It is a water seal. Look at the link to a diagram that I
posted. A typical sink has two drain paths, one that you're
talking about from the bowl that the water usually goes down.
The other is from inside the sink, between it's inner and outer
layers, whereby the overflow is routed. The sink drain has
holes in it so that it's open in that gap inside the sink,
below the hole, so that the overflow water can run into it.

OK, I can see a misreading of what was I said, but I repeat the threads
on the jamb nut are _not_ the water seal; they're merely mechanical to
apply the force to seat the drainset into the plumbers putty
sufficiently to fill all the voids.

I stand by the previous that if it's leaking there, either there wasn't
sufficient putty used or there's something else preventing it from fully
filling the voids; a non-tapered thread cannot be a water seal and isn't
intended to be the seal in this location.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 2:16:10 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 02/26/2017 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It is a water seal. Look at the link to a diagram that I
posted. A typical sink has two drain paths, one that you're
talking about from the bowl that the water usually goes down.
The other is from inside the sink, between it's inner and outer
layers, whereby the overflow is routed. The sink drain has
holes in it so that it's open in that gap inside the sink,
below the hole, so that the overflow water can run into it.

OK, I can see a misreading of what was I said, but I repeat the threads
on the jamb nut are _not_ the water seal; they're merely mechanical to
apply the force to seat the drainset into the plumbers putty
sufficiently to fill all the voids.

I agree with the above, but that's isn't what you posted:

"If so, that is _NOT_ a water seal; the problem if it is leaking there
isn't the nut/washer, it's that you either don't have enough plumbers
putty to make a full seal or the drain flange isn't seating in the bowl
opening properly or it's got a bend or something wrong with it or
there's an imperfection in the bowl itself. "

You implied that it can't leak below the bowl, except for a problem
with the plumber's putty sealing at the flange where the top of the
drain meets the sink. The rubber seal just above the nut *is a water
seal* and if that seal is bad, it will leak. In his case, the seal
isn't bad, it's that the threads extend too far, so they go past the
seal.

I stand by the previous that if it's leaking there, either there wasn't
sufficient putty used or there's something else preventing it from fully
filling the voids; a non-tapered thread cannot be a water seal and isn't
intended to be the seal in this location.

--

I don't know how I can make it any clearer. There are threads on the
drain pipe, yes? There is a rubber seal between the nut and the bottom

This is confirmed by his saying that putting silicone on the threads
before assembly solved it. That isn't the best solution, I would have
gotten the correct drain part.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 02/27/2017 11:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 2:16:10 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 02/26/2017 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

OK, I can see a misreading of what was I said, but I repeat the threads
on the jamb nut are _not_ the water seal; they're merely mechanical to
apply the force to seat the drainset into the plumbers putty
sufficiently to fill all the voids.

I agree with the above, but that's isn't what you posted:

You implied that it can't leak below the bowl, except for a problem
with the plumber's putty sealing at the flange where the top of the
drain meets the sink. The rubber seal just above the nut *is a water
seal* and if that seal is bad, it will leak. In his case, the seal
isn't bad, it's that the threads extend too far, so they go past the
seal.

I didn't _IMPLY_ it; I said it straight out because 'tis true...I just
looked at three here and every one is the same way and in all of them
there is obvious sealant around the drainset but nothing but the jamb
nut on the threaded portion to hold the drainset in place.

This is confirmed by his saying that putting silicone on the threads
before assembly solved it. That isn't the best solution, I would have
gotten the correct drain part.

I think if you go on a search for this part you'll find it's the
proverbial snipe hunt; there is no such part as you're trying to imagine
there being.

You can continue to believe otherwise if you wish but won't make it so...

bye...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 6:30:19 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

Neither the OP nor I ever disputed that.

This is confirmed by his saying that putting silicone on the threads
before assembly solved it. That isn't the best solution, I would have
gotten the correct drain part.

I think if you go on a search for this part you'll find it's the
proverbial snipe hunt; there is no such part as you're trying to imagine
there being.

The part that you allege I and the poster are seeing is in the
link I provided in a much earlier post and it exists. The OP
has one.

You can continue to believe otherwise if you wish but won't make it so...

bye...

Explain to us how the overflow water from a common sink gets to the
drain. In my world, in the OP's world, it gets there by flowing through
an opening high in the sink. From there it flows between the inner sink
casting and the outer sink casting, ie in the void in between. When it
gets to the bottom, at the drain, it flows into the drain through the
hole in the sides of the drain pipe, just as shown in the diagram in the
link. So water is present there, either from overflow or from normal
water going down the drain. And if there is no rubber seal at the bottom
of the sink, directly above the nut, water will leak out, despite your
claim. You say that the only water seal is between the drain and the
inner surface, ie, where the plumber's putty goes, that is not true.
The diagram shows it.

In the case of the OP, it appears to be leaking out because the sink
isn't thick enough for the drain, resulting in threads on the drain pipe
extending past the rubber seal, into the *wet* area.

CH drain point leaking [email protected] UK diy 15 December 18th 16 10:09 AM
Bath vanity drain pipe - glued or screwed? Tomas Home Repair 2 December 26th 09 07:21 PM
CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
Tub Drain Leaking SteveC Home Repair 3 February 25th 08 02:44 AM
Leaking bath drain Peter Ashby UK diy 3 May 15th 07 08:38 PM