Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub Drain Leaking

Our drain plug in our main bathroom tub is corroding and is not making a
tight seal, as a result, it will not hold water for very long, it slowly
leaks out. The plug is a turn and pull/push setup.

My question, can this metal drain, the ring the plug sits into, be removed
and replaced?

What is involved with doing this?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 23, 6:47*pm, "SteveC" wrote:
Our drain plug in our main bathroom tub is corroding and is not making a
tight seal, as a result, it will not hold water for very long, it slowly
leaks out. *The plug is a turn and pull/push setup.

My question, can this metal drain, the ring the plug sits into, be removed
and replaced?

What is involved with doing this?

Thanks,
Steve

It isn't real easy and not a great project for a first timer. First
determine if you can access that end of the tub from the other side of
the wall it abuts. With the pipes in view you should be able to get
some notion of what parts you will need. Off to the box store, then,
for supplies and tools. If you opt for professional help at this
point, take credit for saving some of the labor already. Removal of
the old corroded parts may well take some special tools. Try Ace
Hardware or a good plumbing supplier if you have one that will sell to
the public. At this point you're on your own, since we can't see your
situation for specific tips on proceeding. But good luck nonetheless.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 6:47 pm, "SteveC" wrote:
Our drain plug in our main bathroom tub is corroding and is not making a
tight seal, as a result, it will not hold water for very long, it slowly
leaks out. The plug is a turn and pull/push setup.

My question, can this metal drain, the ring the plug sits into, be removed
and replaced?

Yep.

What is involved with doing this?

The hard part is often the access underneath. One of these helps
quite a bit:

http://www.hometownstores.com/detail...ench&ovtac=CMP

You might find this helpful:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2214210_repl...n-plunger.html

JK

Thanks,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveC wrote:
Our drain plug in our main bathroom tub is corroding and is not making a
tight seal, as a result, it will not hold water for very long, it slowly
leaks out. The plug is a turn and pull/push setup.

The quick fix would be to remove the drain plug and replace it with an
old-fashioned rubber stopper. If the drain plug is corroded you may be
able to replace it. Check with a local plumbing supply store.

Help: Leaking drain-off valve DJB UK diy 7 July 10th 07 07:51 PM
Leaking Drain pine in the Wall ??? BMzx Home Repair 13 May 15th 07 08:53 PM
Leaking bath drain Peter Ashby UK diy 3 May 15th 07 08:38 PM
AquaGlass tub drain leaking JFM Home Repair 1 October 14th 05 08:28 PM
CH drain cock leaking Alan Campbell UK diy 2 December 31st 03 12:32 PM