Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default vanity drain leaking

On 02/27/2017 11:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 2:16:10 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 02/26/2017 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:

OK, I can see a misreading of what was I said, but I repeat the threads
on the jamb nut are _not_ the water seal; they're merely mechanical to
apply the force to seat the drainset into the plumbers putty
sufficiently to fill all the voids.

I agree with the above, but that's isn't what you posted:

You implied that it can't leak below the bowl, except for a problem
with the plumber's putty sealing at the flange where the top of the
drain meets the sink. The rubber seal just above the nut *is a water
seal* and if that seal is bad, it will leak. In his case, the seal
isn't bad, it's that the threads extend too far, so they go past the
seal.

I didn't _IMPLY_ it; I said it straight out because 'tis true...I just
looked at three here and every one is the same way and in all of them
there is obvious sealant around the drainset but nothing but the jamb
nut on the threaded portion to hold the drainset in place.

This is confirmed by his saying that putting silicone on the threads
before assembly solved it. That isn't the best solution, I would have
gotten the correct drain part.

I think if you go on a search for this part you'll find it's the
proverbial snipe hunt; there is no such part as you're trying to imagine
there being.

You can continue to believe otherwise if you wish but won't make it so...

bye...