Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio Pavers made from recycled tires

About 5 years ago, I put Envirotile„˘ rubber pavers on my concrete patio.

The surface of the pavers has become discolored (efflorescence?) and dirt and other debris has collected between and under the tiles.

I'm going to pull up the tiles, hose off the concrete and spray a mild detergent solution on the tiles to remove the dirt.

How can I get rid of the white discoloration on the tiles? Can I repaint the tiles?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:39:31 -0800 (PST), home owner
wrote:

About 5 years ago, I put Envirotile„˘ rubber pavers on my concrete patio.

The surface of the pavers has become discolored (efflorescence?) and dirt and other debris has collected between and under the tiles.

I'm going to pull up the tiles, hose off the concrete and spray a mild detergent solution on the tiles to remove the dirt.

How can I get rid of the white discoloration on the tiles? Can I repaint the tiles?

I have never seen a "recycled tire" product that was worth a ****.
There is a reason why they are not tires anymore.
Our city fell for the recycled tire playground surface. A few years
later they dug it all up and hauled it away..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 5 years ago, I put Envirotile™ rubber pavers on my concrete patio.

The surface of the pavers has become discolored (efflorescence?) and dirt and other debris has collected between and under the tiles.

I'm going to pull up the tiles, hose off the concrete and spray a mild detergent solution on the tiles to remove the dirt.

How can I get rid of the white discoloration on the tiles? Can I repaint the tiles?

White vinegar will cut the efflorescence, if that is what it is.

Cleaning Vinegar 6% Acidity - soak the tiles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2017 12:39 PM, home owner wrote:
Envirotile„˘ rubber pavers

From their website: http://www.envirotile.ca/faq.html
The white spots you see on your tiles are referred to as efflorescence.
Efflorescence is caused when soluble salts and other water materials
come to the surface of concrete and mortars. In this case, because the
tile is porous, it rises to the surface of envirotile„˘. Efflorescence
will dissolve in water, so pressure washing or wet scrubbing with a soft
brush and mild detergent will remove the stain and it will wash away.
You must be careful to rinse the surface with fresh water so that no
residue is left to dry on the tile.

Interesting product. I see warranty is 5 years. They say sunlight does
not affect but usually plastic products do age and oxidize. Tires can
dry rot and I might expect it here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:39:36 -0800 (PST), home owner
wrote:

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

So develop a strategic plan as to what you will do about. Somebody
could die if they trip and hit their head.

In other words, do something about it or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

So develop a strategic plan as to what you will do about. ...

Turn 'em over???

Sounds like they shrunk, causing larger gaps :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

So develop a strategic plan as to what you will do about. ...

Turn 'em over???

And whatever people do to fill the gaps between stone tile. Is
it space the tile then sweep sand into the gaps?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

So develop a strategic plan as to what you will do about. Somebody
could die if they trip and hit their head.

Not if they hit their head on the rubber tiles. They'd just bounce
back up to a standing position. ;-)

In other words, do something about it or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:50:19 -0600, dpb wrote:
Sounds like they shrunk, causing larger gaps :-)

the sides of the tiles have turned up

So put the edges down...half a solution better than none?

Although starting was undoubtedly the biggest mistake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:44:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

So develop a strategic plan as to what you will do about. Somebody
could die if they trip and hit their head.

Not if they hit their head on the rubber tiles. They'd just bounce
back up to a standing position. ;-)

Maybe adorn each guest with a helmet, just in case there is a danger.
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The rubber tiles have shrunk so now:

1/2" to 1" wide gaps have developed between the tiles

the sides of the tiles have turned up

The combination has resulted in a tripping hazard.

Dig that crap out, throw it away and get something more appropriate
for a walking surface.