Posted to alt.home.repair

Default air rifles

Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:07:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

This ain't your daddy's Red Ryder.
There are certainly some small game than can be taken with an air
rifle.
Modern air and CO2 guns will approach .22 short ballistics at short
range and would be plenty to take down a squirrel or maybe even a
rabbit with a well placed shot. Advantage is they can legally be
suppressed and they are not that loud to start with. There may also be
fewer laws around discharging in suburban environments. They are
certainly a lot cheaper to shoot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
micky wrote:

Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

i have a single pump air rifle with a nice scope
on it. good for almost any small varmint. most the
time a warning shot with light ammo will do it and
they'll go away (sounds like a 22).

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

no stupid licenses needed and very inexpensive to
shoot, non-lead ammo, etc.

only for a rural area. would not use in the city.

This ain't your daddy's Red Ryder.
There are certainly some small game than can be taken with an air
rifle.
Modern air and CO2 guns will approach .22 short ballistics at short
range and would be plenty to take down a squirrel or maybe even a
rabbit with a well placed shot. Advantage is they can legally be
suppressed and they are not that loud to start with. There may also be
fewer laws around discharging in suburban environments. They are
certainly a lot cheaper to shoot.

yes. my previous gun had heavy enough ammo that i could
take down full grown rabbits or groundhogs with it. my
current one uses much lighter ammo, but discourages them
well enough.

i'm still looking forwards to the day when i can get rid
of it (and the lawn mower)! now that we've found a way to
keep the rodent population in check i hardly ever use it.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/17 10:07 AM, micky wrote:
Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

They work well for shooting sparrows perched in buildings.
Ground squirrels and regular squirrels drop with a well placed shot.
Power can be varied with pump versions just by varying the number
of pumps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In Canada, un-regulated air rifles are limited to the less
powerful models 500 feet per second muzzle speed .
The more powerful models require a gun licence - like other firearms.
... not sure about all the other details in the regulations but I
wouldn't be surprised if they were treated just like firearms.
More than once, over the years, I wished I had a powerful air gun
in the car trunk, so I could dispatch a suffering cat hat had been
hit on the road. I'm not sure our gutless air pistols would do it.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I got one for the fun of it and would not use it to hunt but have used
it to dissuade pesky critters in the back yard. I think the article is
fairly accurate. My Gamo has a suppressor and shoots light weight
pellets at supersonic speed. It is not loud but it does crack. I prefer
to shoot the subsonic pellets. Has a great scope but not too accurate
beyond 25 yards. I recall calculating muzzle energy at about 7 ft/lb
which I am sure does not approach that of a 22 short. 22 lrs go above
100 ft/lb. Crossbow bolt is maybe 50 ft/lb but can readily kill a deer
with a broad head.

There are high caliber air guns that could kill big game. Lewis and
Clark even used them:

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/dai...oni-air-rifle/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

I used one to dispatch rabbits in a garden out back of that house. one
shot, cleaned and grilled :-)

More recently the neighbor and I shot numerous "tree rats" that
decided to invade the area -- Willard and Wilma. The babies found in
the nest under his small storage unit got a smack with a shovel or
stomped with a heavy boot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2017 11:07 AM, micky wrote:
Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

They have their advantages.

We used one to discourage the neighborhood kids from playing football in
the back yard. Our yard used to be a muddy mess because of their
shenanigans.

Just be sure if you use one in this manner, nobody sees you. Also, make
sure you pump it up just enough to put a good welt on them. Watch out
because you don't want to make a head shot. They'll think bees are
attacking them and go play elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 09:07 AM, micky wrote:
Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

Those aren't your old Red Ryder. The modern air rifle owes a lot to history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On 02/12/2017 09:07 AM, micky wrote:
Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

Those aren't your old Red Ryder. The modern air rifle owes a lot to history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Even back in 1963 I shot several squirrels out of a tree in the back
yard with a Crosman pellet gun. The kind you could pump up to 10 times.
There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:50:59 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

Even back in 1963 I shot several squirrels out of a tree in the back
yard with a Crosman pellet gun. The kind you could pump up to 10 times.
There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

Can't think of the name, my neighbor has one, works like a single
barrel shot gun. Bend the barrel down, insert the pellet is all that
is needed. No need for "pumping" them up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2017 2:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 02/12/2017 09:07 AM, micky wrote:
Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

Those aren't your old Red Ryder. The modern air rifle owes a lot to history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Even back in 1963 I shot several squirrels out of a tree in the back
yard with a Crosman pellet gun. The kind you could pump up to 10 times.
There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

My Gamo only takes one pump. Back when I was a kid I used to dispatch
birds with my Red Ryder BB gun. Even killed a crane once which
surprised me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-02-12, Ralph Mowery wrote:

There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

Lotta .22 cal air rifles, out there. Guess what!

An air rifle with comparable ballistics to a .22 cal rimfire also has
a comparable report!

Q. Why does one of the greatest pistols in the World --.22 cal Ruger
Mk III Bull Barrel Marksman-- also has almost the worst trigger action
in the entire gun world? (shrug)

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Even back in 1963 I shot several squirrels out of a tree in the back
yard with a Crosman pellet gun. The kind you could pump up to 10 times.
There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

Can't think of the name, my neighbor has one, works like a single
barrel shot gun. Bend the barrel down, insert the pellet is all that
is needed. No need for "pumping" them up.

Gamo is very popular and makes a springer that works like that. By
'springer' I mean the cocking action compresses a big spring, not
compressing air into a reservoir. Put the trigger, and you're releasing
the spring and slamming a piston home.

They can be accurate but it requires a little technique. All that metal
in motion means it has a long lock time to use the conventional fire arm
term. It's not as bad as a flintlock but there's nothing instantaneous
about it either and it takes a while for the pellet to leave the barrel.
Also, there are a lot of harmonics involved so you don't want a tight
grip; just hold it gently and let the rifle do its thing.

Then there is the recoil. It's not objectionable but it is definitely
there. The problem is it is also backwards from a conventional firearm.
Optics manufacturers design for a hefty recoil however they assume the
forces will be acting in the usual direction. When selecting optics,
check to see if they are designed for spring air guns or there may be
bits and pieces floating around eventually.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2017 01:53 PM, notbob wrote:
Q. Why does one of the greatest pistols in the World --.22 cal Ruger
Mk III Bull Barrel Marksman-- also has almost the worst trigger action
in the entire gun world? (shrug)

Q. Why does field stripping a Mk III resemble a Chinese puzzle? The II
was bad, the III outdid itself.

A. Those crafty people at Ruger want me to buy a Mk IV. They even threw
in an ambidextrous safety. Dammit I thought I had enough guns to last
the rest of my life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 02/12/2017 01:53 PM, notbob wrote:
Q. Why does one of the greatest pistols in the World --.22 cal Ruger
Mk III Bull Barrel Marksman-- also has almost the worst trigger action
in the entire gun world? (shrug)

Q. Why does field stripping a Mk III resemble a Chinese puzzle? The II
was bad, the III outdid itself.

A. Those crafty people at Ruger want me to buy a Mk IV. They even threw
in an ambidextrous safety. Dammit I thought I had enough guns to last
the rest of my life.

Never happen...

--
Tekkie