Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default air rifles

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:42:07 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:07:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

Do people really go hunting with an air rifle? I though that was
another name for a BB-gun. Like we used for target practice when I was
10 years old at summer camp.

What is the advantage over a real rifle: cheaper? less likely to kill
the neighbor kid? are there laws that apply to rifles that don't apply
to air rifles? something else?

http://www.airgundepot.com/faster-isnt-better.html

This ain't your daddy's Red Ryder.
There are certainly some small game than can be taken with an air
rifle.
Modern air and CO2 guns will approach .22 short ballistics at short
range and would be plenty to take down a squirrel or maybe even a
rabbit with a well placed shot. Advantage is they can legally be
suppressed and they are not that loud to start with. There may also be
fewer laws around discharging in suburban environments. They are
certainly a lot cheaper to shoot.

In Canada, un-regulated air rifles are limited to the less
powerful models 500 feet per second muzzle speed .
The more powerful models require a gun licence - like other firearms.
... not sure about all the other details in the regulations but I
wouldn't be surprised if they were treated just like firearms.
More than once, over the years, I wished I had a powerful air gun
in the car trunk, so I could dispatch a suffering cat hat had been
hit on the road. I'm not sure our gutless air pistols would do it.
John T.