Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default air rifles

On 02/12/2017 01:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:50:59 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

Even back in 1963 I shot several squirrels out of a tree in the back
yard with a Crosman pellet gun. The kind you could pump up to 10 times.
There are some now that are even more powerful, and I think it only
takes one pump.

Can't think of the name, my neighbor has one, works like a single
barrel shot gun. Bend the barrel down, insert the pellet is all that
is needed. No need for "pumping" them up.

Gamo is very popular and makes a springer that works like that. By
'springer' I mean the cocking action compresses a big spring, not
compressing air into a reservoir. Put the trigger, and you're releasing
the spring and slamming a piston home.

They can be accurate but it requires a little technique. All that metal
in motion means it has a long lock time to use the conventional fire arm
term. It's not as bad as a flintlock but there's nothing instantaneous
about it either and it takes a while for the pellet to leave the barrel.
Also, there are a lot of harmonics involved so you don't want a tight
grip; just hold it gently and let the rifle do its thing.

Then there is the recoil. It's not objectionable but it is definitely
there. The problem is it is also backwards from a conventional firearm.
Optics manufacturers design for a hefty recoil however they assume the
forces will be acting in the usual direction. When selecting optics,
check to see if they are designed for spring air guns or there may be
bits and pieces floating around eventually.