Jim

Default Window Company has gone belly up.......;(

Hi there,

I had two large bay windows installed on my house in 1997. The
contractor guaranteed his workmanship for 3 years which was good but is now
4 years past. Last week I noticed a small crack in the triple pane window of
the bay window slicing about an inch long. (starting and finishing at a
bottom corner.) I go outside and see that the plastic frame is also cracked.
So I grab my warranty papers and see that I have a 25 year frame warranty
and 10 yr glass warranty.
I call them up to find that they closed due to being bankrupt.

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go after
them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

I call them up to find that they closed due to being bankrupt.

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go after
them or do you think it's worth it?

You are toast.

Joseph Meehan

Jim wrote:
Hi there,

I had two large bay windows installed on my house in 1997. The
contractor guaranteed his workmanship for 3 years which was good but
is now 4 years past. Last week I noticed a small crack in the triple
pane window of the bay window slicing about an inch long. (starting
and finishing at a bottom corner.) I go outside and see that the
plastic frame is also cracked. So I grab my warranty papers and see
that I have a 25 year frame warranty and 10 yr glass warranty.
I call them up to find that they closed due to being
bankrupt.

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and
go after them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

If the bankruptcy is final, you are toast.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go

after
them or do you think it's worth it?

Toast. Even if you find them, what can/will they do? Unless the guy has
spare frames in his garage, he could do nothing. I'm not a lawyer, but my
guess is the bankruptcy ended your warranty.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message
Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go

after
them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

After sending my "toast" reply, I had another thought. Who actually
manufactured the window? If it was the install that went south, but the
manufacturer is still around, you have a shot some recovery.
Ed

Jim

Default Window Company has gone belly up.......;( and thanks

Edwin,

Nah it was the manufacturer that went belly up. The installer actually
did an excellent job so no sense in going after him. He even offered to come
by and look at the problem free of charge even though it wasn't an install
problem and that his "workmanship guarantee" was expired 4 yrs ago.
So thanks to all that replied..... guess I'm toast..... Regards...Jim

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message
Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go

after
them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

After sending my "toast" reply, I had another thought. Who actually
manufactured the window? If it was the install that went south, but the
manufacturer is still around, you have a shot some recovery.
Ed

m Ransley

So the first thing you think is manufacturing defect ,,, the first
think i think of is
House settling,
Rotted structure,
Insuficent supports,
Improper install.

And Thats what they , Anyone will look for first. First get out a long
level check plumb, level , square, 1/8 out and there is your likely
culprit, btw 1/8 is all major Cos allow. so WTF if you are off take
the SOB to court, Small claim , The damage is only now evident.

But ,and a big one is House settling.

Also an improper install is not leaving
" Shift Room " to tight an install is bad. Reseach the cause first.
Cracks indicate Shifting. Seal problems are usualy Mnfg limitations
but can be caused by the other ideas mentioned. Either way even if they
were in business it wouldnt be as simple as you think.

Colbyt

[...]

Just a cynic's note for those who might follow this thread at a later time.

There seems to be a tendency in the window and replacement window industry
for the companies to be acquired by another after bankruptcy. This is a way
to "wash" the warranties away. The assets of the old company are acquired
for pennies on the dollar and the business starts again. Often with some of
the same principals (well hidden by corporate veils), selling to even more
people who believe in those Lifetime or 30 year warranties.

The honest independent contactors who sold this stuff are not to blame.
They are as much as victim as the people who bought as is evidenced by the
offer of this person's installer to do what he could even though the
installer warranty had expired.

Colbyt

Jim

Colbyt,

Very good business point and one that I would take if I had found a flaw
in craftsmanship and wanted to change but didn't want to lose money....Thenk
you Colbyt
"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

Arts Hack Repair

"Jim" jim.morris

Am I toast?....

Pass the strawberry jam..............

dressing up bathroom window Ninip Home Repair 3 June 3rd 04 05:06 PM
window plugs for soundproofing xyz Home Repair 12 May 31st 04 10:55 PM
Sagging bay window - probable cause found? David Hearn UK diy 7 January 14th 04 03:21 PM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 07:49 PM
problem with velux window BigWallop UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 08:20 PM