Jim

Default Window Company has gone belly up.......;(

Colbyt,

Very good business point and one that I would take if I had found a flaw
in craftsmanship and wanted to change but didn't want to lose money....Thenk
you Colbyt
"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Jim" jim.morris wrote in message
Hi there,

I had two large bay windows installed on my house in 1997. The
contractor guaranteed his workmanship for 3 years which was good but is

now
4 years past. Last week I noticed a small crack in the triple pane

window
of
the bay window slicing about an inch long. (starting and finishing at a
bottom corner.) I go outside and see that the plastic frame is also

cracked.
So I grab my warranty papers and see that I have a 25 year frame

warranty
and 10 yr glass warranty.
I call them up to find that they closed due to being bankrupt.

Am I toast?....Could a lawyer find out who the owners are and go

after
them or do you think it's worth it?

Thanks...Jim

Just a cynic's note for those who might follow this thread at a later

time.

There seems to be a tendency in the window and replacement window industry
for the companies to be acquired by another after bankruptcy. This is a

way
to "wash" the warranties away. The assets of the old company are acquired
for pennies on the dollar and the business starts again. Often with some

of
the same principals (well hidden by corporate veils), selling to even more
people who believe in those Lifetime or 30 year warranties.

The honest independent contactors who sold this stuff are not to blame.
They are as much as victim as the people who bought as is evidenced by the
offer of this person's installer to do what he could even though the
installer warranty had expired.

Colbyt