Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Strategies for defeating the trolls

I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Strategies for masturbating the trolls

On 1/31/2017 7:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

LOL
Yer right. When I put "dickhead" on ignore, you disappeared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:39:44 -0600
jthread wrote:

I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option
actually works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and
type "k". Next time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

How then can you see what you posted??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:39:51 AM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

You are treating the symptom, not curing the decease.

The number of actual a.h.r related threads is such a nit compared to the political and other OT
stuff that simply chasing away threads with k's and kf's will be an exercise in futility. It won't
solve anything, it'll just mask the problem. At this point, there is barely enough on-topic material
to sustain the group.

Besides, even when an on-topic thread is started, it quickly devolves into a thread involving
politics/insults/blatant troll-based responses.

You might as well wave good-bye to a.h.r as we've known it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 8:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:39:51 AM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

You are treating the symptom, not curing the decease.

The number of actual a.h.r related threads is such a nit compared to the political and other OT
stuff that simply chasing away threads with k's and kf's will be an exercise in futility. It won't
solve anything, it'll just mask the problem. At this point, there is barely enough on-topic material
to sustain the group.

Besides, even when an on-topic thread is started, it quickly devolves into a thread involving
politics/insults/blatant troll-based responses.

You might as well wave good-bye to a.h.r as we've known it.

Indeed, my job here is nearly done, as I promised two years ago.
That means I win.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:39:51 AM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

You are treating the symptom, not curing the decease.

The number of actual a.h.r related threads is such a nit compared to the political and other OT
stuff that simply chasing away threads with k's and kf's will be an exercise in futility. It won't
solve anything, it'll just mask the problem. At this point, there is barely enough on-topic material
to sustain the group.

Besides, even when an on-topic thread is started, it quickly devolves into a thread involving
politics/insults/blatant troll-based responses.

You might as well wave good-bye to a.h.r as we've known it.

I've just blocked every type of post I don't want to read (the majority
of cross-posts, trolls, foul mouths, etc.), so I do see the ones I'm
willing to read, or might be interested IN reading. That solves the
problem for me, and a.h.r. is still a nice group as far as I can tell.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The "ignore thread" is working. If the old ahr crowd just ignores them
it will at least make it tolerable

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/17 2:16 PM, jthread wrote:
[...]

ou can also ignore specific posters. THen you'd miss more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2017 08:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

I have the group set to only view unread posts, and my filters mark
anything posted by specific people as read so I never see them. That way
I see on-topic replies even if the resident trolls chime in. Loking at
you, trader_4.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:18:20 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 01/31/2017 08:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

I have the group set to only view unread posts, and my filters mark
anything posted by specific people as read so I never see them. That way
I see on-topic replies even if the resident trolls chime in. Loking at
you, trader_4.

T-4 went off the rails after Trump was elected and the howling hasn't stopped. I wonder if he'll ever settle down? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Deplorable Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

When there are 3 troll posts in a row type KKK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2017 1:44 PM, jthread wrote:
On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.

Please don't feed the trolls. Thank you!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

Thank you. I haven't had to KF a soul.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:40:48 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 8:18:20 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 01/31/2017 08:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

I have the group set to only view unread posts, and my filters mark
anything posted by specific people as read so I never see them. That way
I see on-topic replies even if the resident trolls chime in. Loking at
you, trader_4.

T-4 went off the rails after Trump was elected and the howling hasn't stopped. I wonder if he'll ever settle down? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Deplorable Monster

Sure, like I'm the source of the vast majority of the OT threads here.
The fact is, it's Trumpets that are here starting one pro-Trump
thread after another. A dozen a day or more. But then being clueless
and pro-Trump, that obviously escapes you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:44:22 PM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.

Why would I want to? Google is working fine for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2017 11:16 AM, jthread wrote:

The "ignore thread" is working. If the old ahr crowd just ignores them
it will at least make it tolerable

You must have a weak mind, little feller.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Strategies for defeating the undefeated

On 2/5/2017 11:44 AM, jthread wrote:
On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.

LOL
Google sucks donkey dicks, just like yer mom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2017 9:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:44:22 PM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.

Why would I want to? Google is working fine for me.

That's good. I've heard GG was trying to make some improvements. They
may have added filters. If that's the case, my bad. Last I looked it was
pretty bare bones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 11:11:57 AM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
On 2/8/2017 9:07 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 2:44:22 PM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
On 1/31/2017 9:39 AM, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

For anyone using Google groups please ask how to setup a decent mg
reader. It's not that difficult.

Why would I want to? Google is working fine for me.

That's good. I've heard GG was trying to make some improvements. They
may have added filters. If that's the case, my bad. Last I looked it was
pretty bare bones.

Just don't respond to them.
Either use a kill file or just don't respond.

There are some good reasons to use Google Groups but it does take some disciple to ignore the trolls.

I will continue to encourage any on topic conversation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 11:18:26 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:39:51 AM UTC-5, jthread wrote:
I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

You are treating the symptom, not curing the decease.

The number of actual a.h.r related threads is such a nit compared to the political and other OT
stuff that simply chasing away threads with k's and kf's will be an exercise in futility. It won't
solve anything, it'll just mask the problem. At this point, there is barely enough on-topic material
to sustain the group.

Besides, even when an on-topic thread is started, it quickly devolves into a thread involving
politics/insults/blatant troll-based responses.

You might as well wave good-bye to a.h.r as we've known it.

I agree. Some people seem to think that just filtering out troll
posters solves the problem. At best, you're left with regulars here
communicating with each other. But when someone new comes along and
looks at the group, they will still see a whole bunch of troll OT threads
and most will just figure AHR is worthless and move on. Sadly
HomeMoanersHub may become the best place to view AHR. I don't know
what they filter there, etc, but it would be easy for them to filter
out the trolls, block them, so that newbies coming in don't see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2017 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, you have a point. That's why we need to keep posting threads like
this one for newbees.

And use a NG with filters.

IMHO: In Thunderbird it's best to only use the "k" function as opposed
to "kf" and ignore the intermittent troll posts. for now They may just
have to be plonked anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 2/8/2017 10:08 AM, jthread wrote:

The "K" function thunderbird is working like a dream for now.

I use the K function to kill threads I read that are also cross-posted
into other groups I read so that I only have to see them once. Very
handy. My old Agent newsreader used to do this automatically but I don't
see that function in T-Bird. Am I missing it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2017 1:02 PM, AL wrote:
On 2/8/2017 10:08 AM, jthread wrote:

The "K" function thunderbird is working like a dream for now.

I use the K function to kill threads I read that are also cross-posted
into other groups I read so that I only have to see them once. Very
handy. My old Agent newsreader used to do this automatically but I don't
see that function in T-Bird. Am I missing it?

It's very simple in t-bird. Just highlight the thread and type k. It's
in the "Message" option in the tool bar towards the bottom. I'm not sure
if it carries over to cross-threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-01-31, jthread wrote:

I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
AL AL is offline

On 2/8/2017 12:16 PM, groundhog wrote:
On 2/8/2017 1:02 PM, AL wrote:
On 2/8/2017 10:08 AM, jthread wrote:

The "K" function thunderbird is working like a dream for now.

I use the K function to kill threads I read that are also cross-posted
into other groups I read so that I only have to see them once. Very
handy. My old Agent newsreader used to do this automatically but I don't
see that function in T-Bird. Am I missing it?

It's very simple in t-bird. Just highlight the thread and type k. It's
in the "Message" option in the tool bar towards the bottom. I'm not sure
if it carries over to cross-threads.

Thanks. That's what I do. But my old Agent newsreader AUTOMATICALLY
deleted cross-posted threads in other groups I read so that I only saw
them in the original group (only once). I was hoping that feature was
hidden somewhere in T-Bird and I had just missed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-01-31, jthread wrote:

I use Thunderbird. It appears using the "ignore thread" option actually
works better than the kf. Simply highlight the thread and type "k". Next
time you bring up ahr the thread is gone.

nb

I haven't seen that in a long time. Thanks for posting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2017 1:02 PM, AL wrote:
On 2/8/2017 10:08 AM, jthread wrote:

The "K" function thunderbird is working like a dream for now.

I use the K function to kill threads I read that are also cross-posted
into other groups I read so that I only have to see them once. Very
handy. My old Agent newsreader used to do this automatically but I don't
see that function in T-Bird. Am I missing it?

It's very simple in t-bird. Just highlight the thread and type k. It's
in the "Message" option in the tool bar towards the bottom. I'm not sure
if it carries over to cross-threads.

Thanks. That's what I do. But my old Agent newsreader AUTOMATICALLY
deleted cross-posted threads in other groups I read so that I only saw
them in the original group (only once). I was hoping that feature was
hidden somewhere in T-Bird and I had just missed it.

I hope I helped. It's best to keep this thread active (or one similar).

Just remember everyone, There is an easy way to defeat these children
with mommy issues.

1) Don't feed the trolls

2) Get a ng reader with filters

3) Thunderbird seems to be the most popular newsgroup reader (it's
free!) and Google Groups isn't going to give you much control.

4) If you need help setting up a decent NG reader there are plenty of
people here and websites to help you. Just ask.

Thank You. This really is a great group and has been for along time.