Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH replacement strategies

OK, this is probably not DIY, but bear with me..

My aging Baxi Bermuda system is on its last legs, and I want/need to replace
it with a combi system so that I can reclaim the storage & header tank
space.

The existing radiator circuit is reasonably sound, although the majority of
rads are at least 20 years old.

Question: is there any mileage in getting someone to install a new boiler
(planned in the kitchen), picking up feeds to the existing system? The Baxi
is in the lounge, and as it is a converted bungalow, the pipework is fairly
"organic".

Otherwise, should I strip out the existing myself (and risk missing
something obvious), and go for a clean new install, or should I allow the
installers to do that, possibly reusing any appropriate pipe runs to save
work?

I think I know the answer, but I'd like to know from anyone else who has had
similar a dilemma.

Cheers,
Bramblestick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bramble-Stick wrote:
[...]

Depends on your existing system. We had a Baxi Bermuda in the lounge, a
hot-water cylinder in the airing cupboard and just a single tank in the
loft. I discovered through this group that this is what's called a
"primatic" system and not suitable for putting chemicals such as corrosion
inhibitor into, so all our thirty-five or so year-old rads were full of
corrosion silt and crud.

I suppose we could have had it powerflushed but thought that the rads
probably wouldn't have stood up to the increased pressure of the new closed
system, so we opted for a complete brand new installation, rads, pipes and
all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bramble-Stick" wrote in message
OK, this is probably not DIY, but bear with me..

My aging Baxi Bermuda system is on its last legs, and I want/need to
replace it with a combi system so that I can reclaim the storage & header
tank space.

The existing radiator circuit is reasonably sound, although the majority
of rads are at least 20 years old.

Question: is there any mileage in getting someone to install a new boiler
(planned in the kitchen), picking up feeds to the existing system? The
Baxi is in the lounge, and as it is a converted bungalow, the pipework is
fairly "organic".

Otherwise, should I strip out the existing myself (and risk missing
something obvious), and go for a clean new install, or should I allow the
installers to do that, possibly reusing any appropriate pipe runs to save
work?

A combi system is higher pressure. I'm not saying there will be a problem
but I wouldn't be suprised if it leaked as all the rest is 20 years old!

You might consider a thermal store - I think they are well worth a look for
a replacement installation.

http://www.plumbingpages.com/feature...Thermstore.cfm

They seem to promise the best of both worlds!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:20:46 +0100, "John" replyingroup@notemail
wrote:

Bramble-Stick wrote:
[...]

snap!

I suppose we could have had it powerflushed but thought that the rads
probably wouldn't have stood up to the increased pressure of the new closed
system, so we opted for a complete brand new installation, rads, pipes and
all.

We decided to keep a lot of the existing pipework and ditched
everything else - it works for us.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org