Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default CH replacement strategies

Bramble-Stick wrote:
OK, this is probably not DIY, but bear with me..

My aging Baxi Bermuda system is on its last legs, and I want/need to
replace it with a combi system so that I can reclaim the storage &
header tank space.

The existing radiator circuit is reasonably sound, although the
majority of rads are at least 20 years old.

Question: is there any mileage in getting someone to install a new
boiler (planned in the kitchen), picking up feeds to the existing
system? The Baxi is in the lounge, and as it is a converted bungalow,
the pipework is fairly "organic".

Otherwise, should I strip out the existing myself (and risk missing
something obvious), and go for a clean new install, or should I allow
the installers to do that, possibly reusing any appropriate pipe runs
to save work?

I think I know the answer, but I'd like to know from anyone else who
has had similar a dilemma.

Cheers,
Bramblestick

Depends on your existing system. We had a Baxi Bermuda in the lounge, a
hot-water cylinder in the airing cupboard and just a single tank in the
loft. I discovered through this group that this is what's called a
"primatic" system and not suitable for putting chemicals such as corrosion
inhibitor into, so all our thirty-five or so year-old rads were full of
corrosion silt and crud.

I suppose we could have had it powerflushed but thought that the rads
probably wouldn't have stood up to the increased pressure of the new closed
system, so we opted for a complete brand new installation, rads, pipes and
all.