Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thru the wall vent q

I smoke. I have hepa filters and a ttw kitchen vent, non adjustable speed. It is winter, ave 20 f. If i cover half half the vent with something like a plastic bag does that cut down the air exchange? Or does it just suck faster through the non covered part? Without quitting smoking (guests too) im looking at the heating bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2016 4:55 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke. I have hepa filters and a ttw kitchen vent, non adjustable speed. It is winter, ave 20 f. If i cover half half the vent with something like a plastic bag does that cut down the air exchange? Or does it just suck faster through the non covered part? Without quitting smoking (guests too) im looking at the heating bill.

A restriction will cut air flow. I'm not sure how much, but 50% cover
may not be a 50% reduction. You are also putting some load on the motor
so it may reduced motor life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Ed. I never figured i would be asking how to cut down on Suck. That vent is like having 2 doors open in winter. I just needed less suck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
Thanks Ed. I never figured i would be asking how to cut down on Suck.
That vent is like having 2 doors open in winter. I just needed less
suck.

Smoke outside . I did the last few years I smoked the nasty stinking
things .
--
Snag
Last cig was at 10 PM on March 5th 2005 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 9:25:55 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Thanks Ed. I never figured i would be asking how to cut down on Suck.
That vent is like having 2 doors open in winter. I just needed less
suck.

Smoke outside . I did the last few years I smoked the nasty stinking
things .
--
Snag
Last cig was at 10 PM on March 5th 2005 .

why should a smoker be concerned with costs? tobacco costs so much and makes a large percentage of smokers very ill, or kills them........

my dad has reoccuring bladder cancer from smoking. his future is terrible.

my one time fiances dad was a lifetime smoker.

i got invited to see him just a couple days before he died of COPD.

smoking is just plain insane

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 6:25:59 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/29/2016 4:55 PM, Thomas wrote:
I smoke. I have hepa filters and a ttw kitchen vent, non adjustable speed. It is winter, ave 20 f. If i cover half half the vent with something like a plastic bag does that cut down the air exchange? Or does it just suck faster through the non covered part? Without quitting smoking (guests too) im looking at the heating bill.

A restriction will cut air flow. I'm not sure how much, but 50% cover
may not be a 50% reduction. You are also putting some load on the motor
so it may reduced motor life.

+1

The best solution here is a fresh air heat exchanger, which will
save most of the heat that would have been lost when swapping
air. That way you can have the same air exchange with much less
heat loss.

Cleaning In-Wall Drier Vent????????HELP?????? infiniteMPG Home Repair 29 August 10th 08 07:34 PM
Plumbing vent in the wall? Toller Home Repair 6 November 2nd 07 12:28 PM
Wall vent / cowls seani UK diy 3 June 14th 07 12:09 AM
Sink vent horizontal out wall......legit? Mike Plate Home Repair 9 September 5th 06 03:55 AM
Wall vent for oven Eigenvector Home Repair 4 June 2nd 06 03:01 AM