Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing vent in the wall?

I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

Not even close (assuming that it's as you describe).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 1, 2:28 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

I don't think so, to do it right it would have to go out through the
wall, then turn up and go above roof level.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

If it was a "Studor" vent, then its probably alright, as long as they
have at least one vent going to the roof.

--
Grandpa
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 1, 2:28 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

look up 'air admittance vent'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in
bathrooms.
One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the roof.
The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in a
vent.
There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

If it was a "Studor" vent, then its probably alright, as long as they
have at least one vent going to the roof.

I googled it and yes, that is what they have. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:28:05 +0000, Toller wrote:

I was at the boat house where my son rows. They are putting in
bathrooms. One had a vent pipe coming off the toilet and going up to the
roof. The other toilet had a pipe that went up about 4 feet and ended in
a vent. There was a grill on the wall next to it.

Seems to me that will smell pretty bad in a little while. Does it even
meet code?

Whether it meets code depends on your location and how lax the inspector
may be.

I was told by a building inspector that although these vents are the
first choice, they can be used in situations where there would be no
other way to vent. The issue is the device must remain accessible at all
times and periodically checked to make certain the diaphragm is clean and
working.

These tend not to expel sewer gas unless the diaphragm is defective. As
the system is being used, these allow outside air into the vent pipe to
assist in drainage.

The vents are handy and easy to install but only where allowed.

The last thing you'd want to do is seal one up in a wall. It would then
be impossible to monitor its condition.