Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink vent horizontal out wall......legit?

I recently gutted my entire kitchen and I am in the process of rewiring
and plumbing. I am curious about the possibility of running the drain
vent for the sink up the exterior wall and then going horizontally out
of the wall (not up through the roof and flashing. The reason I am
thinking of doing this is because this is a circa 1880 Victorian and
the Top plate for the studs, is swear, is the most gigantic piece of
timber I have ever seen, they did it right in the good 'ol days! The
vent currently exists going through the roof put all the plumbing was
interior to the wall, (mainly to avoid this massive top plate. I am
just trying to keep the pipe inside the wall and bypass this column of
wood by going out the wall beneath it.

I know local codes vary but has anyone else seen this or done this in
the past?
Thank you kindly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not to answer my own post but I noticed a response to a question for
island vents and the response pointed to www.studor.com and installing
an Air Admittance Valve. Can that be a solution? Using something
along those lines rather then even rerunning this vent line and making
more holes in the side of this old house? I assume not since then
people would already be using it as a replacement for all general
plumbing venting.
Thanks again.

Mike Plate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Plate" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not to answer my own post but I noticed a response to a question for
island vents and the response pointed to www.studor.com and installing
an Air Admittance Valve. Can that be a solution? Using something
along those lines rather then even rerunning this vent line and making
more holes in the side of this old house? I assume not since then
people would already be using it as a replacement for all general
plumbing venting.
Thanks again.

We have a bathroom at work that has that setup. Works well for a couple of
years so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thru the wall is illegal everywhere since sewer gas could reenter your
home. Sewer gas CAN be explosive. from natural gas getting in line or
some jerk dumping gasoline down a sewer....

besides methane from regular rotting of stuff.

the inside air entrance valve may be OK but must be above the level of
the sink and forever accesible, since it might go bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could build a chase around a new vent line. Use it for other stuff
like power lines too.

Note if your remodeling PVC is great but noisey Hear water cascading
thru lines

You can transition to cast iron for such areas using fernco like
couplers no lead needed.

A line in our dining room must be bad, plaster is starting to spall

I will replace that section with cast iron becauise of noise.
everywhere else PVC is fine by me

Is the OP{ upgrading electrical too with all new GFCI circuits at least
2 20 amp dedicated counter circuits and seperate circuilt for
dishwaser.... fridge .... etc?

have walls open do it RIGHT!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Sep 2006 04:33:15 -0700, "Mike Plate"
wrote:

[...]

No way you can easily go horizontally and tap into an
existing vent stack?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Plate" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You are just talking about going around the beam outside the house, the air
coming down the vent will never know it went around the beam. I know allot
of old homes all the plumbing was outside. The only problem would be the
looks, but I'm sure you could box it in. Going inside would look better but
I'm guessing the vent would have to come threw the floor in an upper room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you everyone for the information. I am the proud new owner of
the Massachusetts code book now and apparently it is "legit" to do a
horizontal vent. The only constraint is that it needs to be further
out then the roof eve's so as not to be sucked back in for the sofet
venting. So it is legal "around here anyways" to kick out the side of
the house for venting purposes. This book is going to help!

Sacramento Dave wrote:
"Mike Plate" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Through-wall venting is legal under IRC but prohibited under UPC.

IRC allows it at least 10 feet from the property line, at least 10 feet
above the highest grade within 10 feet, and not allowed under a vented
soffit.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/