Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default Wall vent for oven

What to do here. My new house has a wall vent instead of a hood for the
oven and I'm not sure what to do here. There is a painted metal lid on the
outside of the house and a fan inbetween. The only issue is that the
original owner duck taped the whole thing over and I think its been that way
for about 20 years. As much as I love the idea of peeling back the layers
to expose all sorts of spiders, ants, termites, and maybe even a bird I
don't want to basically create a 1 1/2 foot hole in my already air leaky
house.

Anybody have any experience with them and whether it is something I might
want to restore and get working again, or should I crack out the saw and
replace it for good? I do want a vent for the oven, if only so my house
doesn't smell like sauteed onions and baked cod.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Eigenvector wrote:
What to do here. My new house has a wall vent instead of a hood for the
oven and I'm not sure what to do here. There is a painted metal lid on the
outside of the house and a fan inbetween. The only issue is that the
original owner duck taped the whole thing over and I think its been that way
for about 20 years. As much as I love the idea of peeling back the layers
to expose all sorts of spiders, ants, termites, and maybe even a bird I
don't want to basically create a 1 1/2 foot hole in my already air leaky
house.

Anybody have any experience with them and whether it is something I might
want to restore and get working again, or should I crack out the saw and
replace it for good? I do want a vent for the oven, if only so my house
doesn't smell like sauteed onions and baked cod.

if there is a space for a range hood, i wouldn't hesitate to install a
real hood. they are not big ticket items. hardest part can be getting
a wire to them, but if you have a fan then you should have electricity
close. the through wall fan sounds like someones brilliant idea that
didn't work or why would it be covered?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 31 May 2006 21:40:30 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

What to do here. My new house has a wall vent instead of a hood for the
oven and I'm not sure what to do here. There is a painted metal lid on the
outside of the house and a fan inbetween. The only issue is that the
original owner duck taped the whole thing over and I think its been that way
for about 20 years. As much as I love the idea of peeling back the layers
to expose all sorts of spiders, ants, termites, and maybe even a bird I
don't want to basically create a 1 1/2 foot hole in my already air leaky
house.

Anybody have any experience with them and whether it is something I might
want to restore and get working again, or should I crack out the saw and
replace it for good? I do want a vent for the oven, if only so my house
doesn't smell like sauteed onions and baked cod.

What practical difference is there? They're both holes
in the wall with a fan in them and a little metal flap-damper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

wrote:

[...]

bet the range hood can pull a lot more air than a cheap wall vent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I've never actually seen a wall vent before. I do agree that a hood should
be able to pull more air than a wall vent, or at least it should be able to
pull more of the oven air. If they're reasonable effective, not too
terrible at heat loss I'd be willing to stay with the wall vent, but I
simply don't know anything about them.