Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smart TV power usage

OK I will confuse this topic with facts.
I hooked up my clamp to a Samsung 50" TV with a sound bar. The audio
amp is disabled and it just feeds optical out to the bar that is
separately powered. There is a USB connected 3.5" drive that powers up
with the TV.
With the TV off it is bouncing between 10ma and 20 ma which I assume
is the CPU polling the network occasionally.
Turned on, it really does not make a whole lot of difference whether
you are watching antenna, local disk drive on the USB or streaming off
the internet. it is mid 600s ma
Off 10-20ma 12-24w
On watching antenna or local drive 610-630ma 73-76w
On watching a stream 650-670ma 78-80w
It bounces around a bit both ways so I assume caching or buffering is
the issue.
All in all these things are pretty efficient.
As a sanity check my 20" Sylvania CRT TV uses about the same with
power off (standby) and 28 watts on for about 1/6th the picture area.