Keith Carlson

Default Please give you opinion on well pump power usage

I'm trying to get a very rough estimate of the cost of electricity to run a
well pump.

Here's what I know: The pump is 230volt, 3/4 HP (from info on inside cover
of control box).
I do not know flow rating of pump, age, make or anything else about it. Just
moved into this house 2 1/2 years ago and the well and pump go back before
that.

On some website, I saw an estimate of 140 kWh per year for a 3/4HP well
pump. This was based on 253 gallons/day usage. Well, with 365 days a year,
it calculates out to about .0015 kWh/gallon. On my last electric bill, the
cost was $.066 per kWh. Also, on my last city water bill, usage was 15,000
gallons.
Bottom line, this would come out to $1.48 for electricity to pump the same
15,000 gallons. (The variable part of the city water bill was $80 for those
15,000 gallons).

For anyone who's looked into the energy cost, does that estimate look way
off?

Bear in mind that I'm not trying to estimate future bills. I'm trying to get
a rough, but accurate estimate so I know if there's a big difference in the
cost of city water supply vs. water pumped from the well.

My house is served by a city water supply AND has a private well. When I
moved in (up until a couple of days ago), the well supplied water for the
outside faucets and the sink in the garage. The rest of the house is
supplied by the city water. Just last weekend, the well pump stopped
working. Of course, the big question is whether it's worth the $ to get it
fixed. My first thought was that if the per gallon cost was similar, then
there's no use fixing the well pump. If the well is MUCH cheaper, then it's
worth looking into further and getting estimates.

$1.50 definitely is MUCH cheaper than $80. Just looking for a reality check.

Many thanks!

John Gilmer

Bear in mind that I'm not trying to estimate future bills. I'm trying to

get
a rough, but accurate estimate so I know if there's a big difference in

the
cost of city water supply vs. water pumped from the well.

The cost of electricity for a well pump for domestic use is "down in the
noise." The major costs a 1) drilling the well; 2) installing the
pressure tank, pump, controller, and connecting pipe; and 3) being prepared
to pay for #1 & #2 again if something "goes wrong."

You capital costs are on the order of $200/year. Your electric costs would
be less than 10% of that.

My house is served by a city water supply AND has a private well. When I
moved in (up until a couple of days ago), the well supplied water for the
outside faucets and the sink in the garage. The rest of the house is
supplied by the city water. Just last weekend, the well pump stopped
working. Of course, the big question is whether it's worth the $ to get it
fixed. My first thought was that if the per gallon cost was similar, then
there's no use fixing the well pump. If the well is MUCH cheaper, then

it's
worth looking into further and getting estimates.

As I tried to say, the cost is the CAPITAL costs. That's also true of your
city water bill. You are paying for the distribution and treatment (and
sewage) system bonds.

Whether you are on public waste water disposal is important. Typically,
the sewage charge is 2 or 3 times the water bill. Note that many places
will not let you operate a well when you are on a public sewer since they
can't measure the well water you put into the sewer.

$1.50 definitely is MUCH cheaper than $80. Just looking for a reality

check.

What you should compare is the $80 with the cost of bringing your well
system back on line. The electric cost just doesn't matter.

Harry K

"Keith Carlson" wrote in message news:m7lbd.386789$Fg5.332737@attbi_s53...
[...]

A reality check is that replacing the pump is going to run a big bill.
My guess (and it is a WAG), at least $1500 minimum. Takes a long time
to amortize that. Another WAG is that with a working pump the cost of
well water is way under what the city charges.

Harry K
Richard J Kinch

Keith Carlson writes:

For anyone who's looked into the energy cost, does that estimate look way
off?

I deduced a rule of thumb of 10:1 costs considering costs of city water vs
electric power for a pump. So its not the power, its the equipment costs,
including water treatment and other overhead, that will determine the
economy. This is why where I live in SE Florida, people have wells and
pumps for lawn irrigation even if you have city water.
Keith Carlson

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

What you should compare is the $80 with the cost of bringing your well

system back on line. The electric cost just doesn't matter.

Thanks, John.

Yep, I'm afraid to think what it would cost to fix the
pump/controller/whatever.

My first step was just getting an idea of whether it's cheaper *when it is
working*. If that wasn't much of a differenece, then I wouldn't even bother
getting estimates. Since there IS a big difference, I'll at least go to the
next step and see what the damage is.

Keith Carlson

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Keith Carlson writes:

For anyone who's looked into the energy cost, does that estimate look

way
off?

I deduced a rule of thumb of 10:1 costs considering costs of city water vs
electric power for a pump. So its not the power, its the equipment costs,
including water treatment and other overhead, that will determine the
economy. This is why where I live in SE Florida, people have wells and
pumps for lawn irrigation even if you have city water.

That was my setup here. The well served only the outside faucets. So after
getting estimates, I'll also need to estimate my outside water usage and
figure how long it would take to recoup the repair costs. My gut feel is
"not in my lifetime", but, we'll see.

Richard J Kinch

Keith Carlson writes:

That was my setup here. The well served only the outside faucets. So
after getting estimates, I'll also need to estimate my outside water
usage and figure how long it would take to recoup the repair costs. My
gut feel is "not in my lifetime", but, we'll see.

Hmmm. All I know is it costs me $1.50 in electric power to water my lawn
once with the well pumps, vs $15.00 with city water. You can pay for a lot
of pump with that kind of economy.

City water in most places has gotten too expensive for anything but
household use. Here they *increase* the rates as soon as you use more than
an "average family", no matter how large your household.

How does a 110volt 2 speed motor work 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 11 October 11th 04 09:15 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
Need advice with rural water well pump design Gene Home Repair 20 December 2nd 03 02:58 PM
RCA TV CTC169 (BG5) F35750ST Wont come out of standby - Ticking sound when Power button is pressed Electronics Repair 0 September 25th 03 06:25 PM