Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Smart TV power usage

trader_4
Tue, 27
Dec 2016 14:40:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 2:58:46 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
OK I will confuse this topic with facts.
I hooked up my clamp to a Samsung 50" TV with a sound bar. The
audio amp is disabled and it just feeds optical out to the bar
that is separately powered. There is a USB connected 3.5" drive
that powers up with the TV.
With the TV off it is bouncing between 10ma and 20 ma which I
assume is the CPU polling the network occasionally.
Turned on, it really does not make a whole lot of difference
whether you are watching antenna, local disk drive on the USB or
streaming off the internet. it is mid 600s ma
Off 10-20ma 12-24w
On watching antenna or local drive 610-630ma 73-76w
On watching a stream 650-670ma 78-80w
It bounces around a bit both ways so I assume caching or
buffering is the issue.
All in all these things are pretty efficient.
As a sanity check my 20" Sylvania CRT TV uses about the same with
power off (standby) and 28 watts on for about 1/6th the picture
area.

So, I think you're saying that I was right? That a smart TV uses
about the same power as a dumb, similar TV?

If that's what you were writing, then I agree with you. I wasn't
disputing that. I thought you were comparing a smart tv with that of
an actual desktop computer in terms of power consumption.

--
Sarcasm, because beating the living **** out of deserving people is
illegal.