Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smart TV power usage

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 16:09:01 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/26/2016 2:58 PM, wrote:
OK I will confuse this topic with facts.
I hooked up my clamp to a Samsung 50" TV with a sound bar. The audio
amp is disabled and it just feeds optical out to the bar that is
separately powered. There is a USB connected 3.5" drive that powers up
with the TV.
With the TV off it is bouncing between 10ma and 20 ma which I assume
is the CPU polling the network occasionally.
Turned on, it really does not make a whole lot of difference whether
you are watching antenna, local disk drive on the USB or streaming off
the internet. it is mid 600s ma
Off 10-20ma 12-24w
On watching antenna or local drive 610-630ma 73-76w
On watching a stream 650-670ma 78-80w
It bounces around a bit both ways so I assume caching or buffering is
the issue.
All in all these things are pretty efficient.
As a sanity check my 20" Sylvania CRT TV uses about the same with
power off (standby) and 28 watts on for about 1/6th the picture area.

It is confusing. I have a smart Samsung TV but think when it is off, it
is off but DTA cable box stays on. New Comcast X1 system on an old dumb
Samsung TV where box also stays on takes no time at all to connect to
the internet where the smart TV takes much longer when first turned on.
At any rate, these vampire devices apparently take a few percent of all
electrical usage.

Your smart TV is still on but most of the functions are off. It pings
the internet occasionally looking for updates, the timer is still
running and it is monitoring the IR input, looking for a remote
control power on.
It still manages to do this at about the same power consumption to an
old "dumb" TV.
I would need to use my other clamp to see how much it really is
because the one I used is +/- 10ma and both go between .01 and .02
I have a probe that is +/- .001ma running off a 4 1/2 digit Fluke.