Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car Door Rubber Seals

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:03:58 -0500
FrozenNorth wrote:

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk
occasionally freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no
garage. Unlocking them you feel them move so that is implying to me
it is the rubber seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to
force it and pull or damage the seals. Is there any that I can put
on the rubber seals that will stop this. (next time I can open them
that is).

Rub a light coating of oil on them = no more freezing shut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 11:04:02 AM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

--
Froz....

Maybe a light coating of silicone spray lube, applied with a cloth or paper
towel?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 11:04:02 AM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

--
Froz....

Option 1 of 2:

Apply Micropore surgical tape to the metal surface where the seals
contact the metal. (Obviously, clean them first) Honda Odyssey sliding
doors had a habit of sticking to the metal frame, not just in the winter,
but it was typically worse in cold weather. Sometimes they stuck so bad
that people actually ripped the door handle out of the door (BTDT).

A surgeon in Nebraska came up with this solution:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attach...ix_2005-2-.jpg

Option 2 of 2:

Honda owners love ShinEtsu Grease:

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine.../dp/B006Z9TZ9M

It typically comes in a box with a Honda part number as shown he

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Just keep in mind that just about anything greasy that you apply to door
seals have the potential of getting on clothes, etc.

Good luck and stay warm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Believe it or not, WD-40 might be your solution. WD-40 is a water
displacing agent and is recommended for prolonging the life of seals
such as those found on car doors.

I would try it on one door seal and see if it helps your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-20 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Thanks all, it is supposed to get above 0C tomorrow, if I can pop the
doors open, I will try one of these suggestions.

--
Froz....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-20 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Thanks all, it is supposed to get above 0C tomorrow, if I can pop the
doors open, I will try one of these suggestions.

--
Froz....

I would try the products Derbydad suggested first and WD-40 does not
work well with that type of rubber.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I second the silicone lubricant bd wouldn't even consider WD-40. Spray a
rag and wipe on all the rubber parts. Finito!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 12:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I second the silicone lubricant bd wouldn't even consider WD-40. Spray a
rag and wipe on all the rubber parts. Finito!

Oops, noticed my typo which should have read "I wouldn't...."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-20 3:03 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 12:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I second the silicone lubricant bd wouldn't even consider WD-40. Spray a
rag and wipe on all the rubber parts. Finito!

Oops, noticed my typo which should have read "I wouldn't...."

I figured that out, and was a little leery of that suggestion myself,
when I go out next I will stop by Canadian Tire and see about the
silicone lubricant.

--
Froz....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-20 3:03 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 12:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I second the silicone lubricant bd wouldn't even consider WD-40. Spray a
rag and wipe on all the rubber parts. Finito!

Oops, noticed my typo which should have read "I wouldn't...."

I figured that out, and was a little leery of that suggestion myself,
when I go out next I will stop by Canadian Tire and see about the
silicone lubricant.

The silicone spray should not affect the rubber. That is what I'd use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 12:47:12 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I second the silicone lubricant bd wouldn't even consider WD-40. Spray a
rag and wipe on all the rubber parts. Finito!

We usesd to use glycerine all the time years ago when I worked at the
service station. I have a bottle that I am going to open up and treat
all my weatherstrip as soon as I have some time and nice weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-20 3:03 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

I have used a "door Eze stick in the past too - it is a stick of
silicone grease. I really don't lioke silicone around anything I might
possibly have to paint in the future. That crap is NASTY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 10:04:02 AM UTC-6, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).
--
Froz....

Hey Froz. I'd try some saw wax on the seals and mating surfaces. I kept a tube in my toolbox and used it for a lot of things besides cutting, drilling and tapping threads. I used it to lube locks and fix squeaking doors. The wax stick is non toxic and non staining and won't damage the rubber seals or sea lions. I bought mine from the industrial supply house or hardware store. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/144...Lubricant.aspx

http://www.grizzly.com/products/F-16...x-Stick/T27210

https://www.amazon.com/BruteLube-XLU.../dp/B007XCUXLO

[8~{} Uncle Wax Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2016 11:03 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not
want to force it and pull or damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Prestone radiator antifreeze?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

I usually spray silicone lubricant on a rag and wipe down the rubber seals.
Silicone won't hurt the rubber, but it does need to be reapplied every so
often.

I would not use other lubricants like WD40 as they may damage the rubber
seals over time.

You can also try washing and waxing the metal parts of the door that the
seals rest against.

Good luck!

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 05:14:58 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

[...]

Just did the taurus and the Ranger with Glycerine last night I've got
a 3 oz bottle - Used about half an ounce som far - and that's twice on
the truck for sure - and I think on the Taurus too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FrozenNorth posted for all of us...

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Put silicone grease either in stick form, spray or on a rag and wipe the
weatherstripping with it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 16:51:35 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

FrozenNorth posted for all of us...

My car doors, especially the passenger side and the trunk occasionally
freeze up in winter, car is parked outside, I have no garage. Unlocking
them you feel them move so that is implying to me it is the rubber
seals, freezing to the metal, and I do not want to force it and pull or
damage the seals. Is there any that I can put on the rubber seals that
will stop this. (next time I can open them that is).

Put silicone grease either in stick form, spray or on a rag and wipe the
weatherstripping with it.

Once used wheel bearing grease, sparingly, using a paper towel. Isn't
the rubber made using petroleum? Never had a problem. Wouldn't
Vaseline do the same to prevent sticking? Redneck moved back South