Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing PCV Gutter rubber seals

All

My 15 (ish) year old guttering is leaking at the joints.

Based on some Googling about, it appears to be Osma squareline but I think they've changed the design. the rubber seals on mine are 10mm width and the new stuff seems to be substantially wider (with a corresponding wider recess to fit it in.

Does anyone know if the old seals are still available or would it be a simpler task to just replace the joints?

Thanks

Steven
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2014 10:04, Steven Langdale wrote:
All

My 15 (ish) year old guttering is leaking at the joints.

Based on some Googling about, it appears to be Osma squareline but I think they've changed the design. the rubber seals on mine are 10mm width and the new stuff seems to be substantially wider (with a corresponding wider recess to fit it in.

Does anyone know if the old seals are still available or would it be a simpler task to just replace the joints?

Thanks

Steven

I just replaced some of the seals on my Hepworth squareline guttering
.... they are around 10mm ... try them.

If you want me to take actual measurements o fone let me know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 May 2014 18:29:10 UTC+1, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 24/05/2014 10:04, Steven Langdale wrote:

All

My 15 (ish) year old guttering is leaking at the joints.

Based on some Googling about, it appears to be Osma squareline but I think they've changed the design. the rubber seals on mine are 10mm width and the new stuff seems to be substantially wider (with a corresponding wider recess to fit it in.

Does anyone know if the old seals are still available or would it be a simpler task to just replace the joints?

Thanks

Steven

I just replaced some of the seals on my Hepworth squareline guttering

... they are around 10mm ... try them.

If you want me to take actual measurements o fone let me know.

Perfect! thats the stuff Much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes, Steven Clucas wrote:
Hi, I just found this old thread when searching for replacement Hepworth
gutter seals, and am having similar problems locating replacement seals. My
seals are a sort of "figure of 8" shape in profile, and measure about 8mm wide
by 5mm deep.

Please could you let me know where you managed to buy these replacement seals,
so I can check if they're the same as the ones I need? (I couldn't see any
links to websites in the above posts).

Thanks,
Steve

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ls-974656-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 01-Aug-16 11:14 PM, Steven Clucas wrote:
replying to Rick Hughes, Steven Clucas wrote:
Hi, I just found this old thread when searching for replacement Hepworth
gutter seals, and am having similar problems locating replacement
seals. My
seals are a sort of "figure of 8" shape in profile, and measure about
8mm wide
by 5mm deep.

Please could you let me know where you managed to buy these replacement
seals,
so I can check if they're the same as the ones I need? (I couldn't see any
links to websites in the above posts).

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, I've just had some gutter seals repaired. I didn't do it myself,
as I have no head for heights. The guy who did it used some mastic. It
seems to be holding.

I don't think Rick Hughes will be replying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
Steve, I've just had some gutter seals repaired. I didn't do it myself,
as I have no head for heights. The guy who did it used some mastic. It
seems to be holding.

I don't think Rick Hughes will be replying.

The problem with replacing the rubber seals (if you could get them) is the
PVC goes very brittle with age and would likely split when attempting to
clip it together with new ones. So a mastic is probably the best bet.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

The problem with replacing the rubber seals (if you could get them) is the
PVC goes very brittle with age and would likely split when attempting to
clip it together with new ones. So a mastic is probably the best bet.

It's one of the myriad recommended uses for CT1, it'll stick when wet,
had good strength and remains elastic.

http://www.ct1ltd.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Burns, Steven Clucas wrote:
Many thanks for the replies, I'll definately consider the Mastic / CT1 option.
And apologies for annoying anybody by replying to an old thread, on an
"incorrect" forum!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ls-974656-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 02-Aug-16 11:44 PM, Steven Clucas wrote:

And apologies for annoying anybody by replying to an old thread, on an
"incorrect" forum!

It seems to have worked, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/2/2016 3:50 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

The problem with replacing the rubber seals (if you could get them) is
the
PVC goes very brittle with age and would likely split when attempting to
clip it together with new ones. So a mastic is probably the best bet.

It's one of the myriad recommended uses for CT1, it'll stick when wet,
had good strength and remains elastic.

http://www.ct1ltd.com

Never used that, but have bodged gutters and downpipes with "ordinary"
exterior mastic in the past, it doesn't last particularly well (but fine
if you just need a quick fix).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

The problem with replacing the rubber seals (if you could get them) is
the
PVC goes very brittle with age and would likely split when attempting to
clip it together with new ones. So a mastic is probably the best bet.

It's one of the myriad recommended uses for CT1, it'll stick when wet,
had good strength and remains elastic.

http://www.ct1ltd.com

Never used that, but have bodged gutters and downpipes with "ordinary"
exterior mastic in the past, it doesn't last particularly well (but fine
if you just need a quick fix).

I found an excellent silicone rubber non setting one in Wicks. Said to
stick to near anything. Seems to last pretty well too.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.