Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum frame screen repair

"KenK" wrote in message
This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

Don't try to stretch it really tight, rolling in the spine will do that
automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Dec 2016 17:57:50 GMT, KenK wrote:

This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

Use new rubber spline, usually the old crap doesn't have the required
pliability. I prefer the metal screen myself. Also, watch a couple
of YouTube videos on the process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 18:11:49 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On 9 Dec 2016 17:57:50 GMT, KenK wrote:

This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

Use new rubber spline, usually the old crap doesn't have the required
pliability. I prefer the metal screen myself. Also, watch a couple
of YouTube videos on the process.

...and get the correct sized spline. You want the screen straight, not
to taught. Over stretching the screen might tend to distort the frame
-- at least it does so easily on window frames. Take a piece of the
old spline with you to the hardware store so you get the right size.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 12:57:54 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

Plastic or fiberglass? May I guess fiberglass?

Some folks (like me) like to do the top and bottom first, then the sides.
I put some weight on the screen to keep it straight while I do one end,
then remove the weight and pull the screen taut while I do the other end.
After that the sides go in and hopefully the screen is flat when done.

Be careful as you roll the spline in. One slip with the tool and you can
cut the screen requiring you to start over. A large flat surface is best.
If you have a lot of screens to do, a "right angle" jig can help. Just 2
straight edges clamped to a surface to hold the frame square and firm
while you roll the spline it. Probably not worth the set-up time for one
screen, but if you got a lot to do, it can help.

Make sure you orient the screen material correctly. If you install it
inside out you'll upset the balance of nature. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 12:57 PM, KenK wrote:
This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

It's not difficult.
Lay the frame flat.
Cut the screen to the outer edge of the frame.
Lay it over the frame and ensure it's taunt, but as others have said, do
not pull or over stretch.
Start at one corner with the spline and work your way around.
Use a sharp razor to cut the excess screen at the outer edge of the spline.
Install frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:48:15 -0500, Meanie wrote:

On 12/9/2016 12:57 PM, KenK wrote:
This is the type with a grove around the frame to hold plastic screen. I
bought a small roll of screen and one of the rollers to install it.

Before I attack it, and hints or warnings?

TIA

It's not difficult.
Lay the frame flat.
Cut the screen to the outer edge of the frame.
Lay it over the frame and ensure it's taunt, but as others have said, do
not pull or over stretch.
Start at one corner with the spline and work your way around.
Use a sharp razor to cut the excess screen at the outer edge of the spline.
Install frame.

That sounds right and we go a lot of screen here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

[...]

Hmm, is this the definition of bug-catcher?

--
Tekkie

Bend back aluminum chair frame? [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 8th 14 02:24 PM
Hanging a screen door with too little frame reveal Limp Arbor Home Repair 0 May 11th 12 01:42 PM
Aluminum jeep frame mark Metalworking 16 February 18th 08 07:13 PM
Rolling Polyester Screen into Frame? Ron Hardin Home Repair 4 July 30th 07 04:20 AM
Frame for Home Theater Screen a12vman Woodworking 3 May 13th 05 01:29 AM