Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging a screen door with too little frame reveal

On May 10, 11:41*am, jtpr wrote:
SWMBO wants a screen door hung in the front. *The problem is the reveal in the frame formed by the trim on the outside and the trim around the door is only a little over 1/4". *Most screen doors are 3/4" thick. *The only option I can see is to build out the outside trim with more trim so I have something to hang it on. *But then the hinges will pose a problem.

Hopefully this makes sense and somebody has another suggestion.

-Jim

A few options:

You could try finding a molding that is close to the reverse owhat is
there and put it on backwards.
(Cheesey)

Change existing molding to brick mold.
http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com...age.jpg?n=1710

On my screen door the frame screws in from the front and the sides. I
suspect most are this way.
Check out this video from the Borg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFqk06cz1yI
I think you will be fine just installing it on the molding you have.
The screws going in from the inside of the frame into the jam are
going to hold everything just fine.

Get free backup service using Drop Box
Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
Bonus space provided using this link: http://db.tt/RIONkfbZ